Hacking PegaSwitch 3.0, libtransistor, and more

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Same here, my friend!
I am hoping for that sweet Mupen64 Plus core to finally arrive to a Nintendo console :D
It should be right from the get go, since Switch is an ARM architecture device and Mupen64 has an ARM dynarec iirc.
Exactly! The Switch is portable and ARM. Just f*cking perfect for RetroArch. Plus the native Switch games which can be played on it as well.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Exactly! The Switch is portable and ARM. Just f*cking perfect for RetroArch. Plus the native Switch games which can be played on it as well.
We are in for a treat, my friend :)

Btw, I wanted to ask you @SciresM, what would you recommend users below 3.0.0 to do?
For example, I am in 2.2.0 right now, what would be the best option for me to do?

Stay on 2.2.0, or update to 3.0.0 with Pokken DX or any 3.0 update game?

starfox5194

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand, what can we do with this ?

Alright,

1) we have a library that allows us to program for the switch easier.
2) We have an emulator to run some code made with said library.
3) We have a way to host the exploit using node js on our personal computer, then we can connect to our pc with the switch and launch a program we made with the library.
4) We can't yet launch a "real" program mentioned in 3 I.E. Hello World!... because we don't yet have ROP chain.

"In 3.0, the sdb sysmodule contains a number of bugs that make it a prime target. We currently have an arbitrary write and control of the execution flow; what we don’t have is an actual ROP/JOP-chain to allow arbitrary function calling. This is the sole piece missing for userland ACE on the Switch." - From rohan website: https://reswitched.tech/rohan

So currently they don't have an ROP chain yet.
See the first two paragraphs of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return-oriented_programming

So it looks like they need a memory dump so that they can see what gadgets are available to be strung together to make an ROP chain.

But you can't just "get a memory dump". So I'm pretty sure they will need to guess and check which "gadgets" are available in memory already to string together. Hopefully, they can string together the right gadgets and obtain ROP-chain. Then we will see our Hello World! Hax for real.

Disclaimer: I don't really know what I'm talking about, just trying to piece together what I can figure out. I hope this helps some people understand exactly where we are at though.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HOLY SHIT

6Go9O.gif

9069409.gif

I would appreciate if yall stopped posting a gif of this racist guy

Frysenberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think you're the most clueless person on here
Your Avi sure suits you well

Asking for information about something you don't understand isn't a bad thing, that's how we learn.

I'd also like to ask you to stop being so condescending.

Just like your reply.

Hook, line, and sinker.

Last edited by Frysenberg,

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would reply with even more JonTron gifs to piss you off but it would be off topic. Just like your reply.

I wouldn't piss me off but now is the worst time to bring his face back in the mix, he was outed as a racist long before all the witch hunting for racists even began LOL

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Oh I remember when Steinberg and Synchrosoft teamed up and made the "uncrackable" usbkey. A year later H2O made a full emulator of the device and cracked their own library. Just to prove them wrong.
So no, 3.0.1+ aren't doomed forever, it's a matter of time and intrest from the hackers to find the weaknesses. But if no Yellow8, Smea, SciresM etc or newcomers comes in and try to open it? Then no, it will be closed forever.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I know people will call bullshit but I'm interested in the Emulation possibilities. But I'm getting ahead of myself I think ;)
I mean, ultimately what you get if you exploit/hack a Switch is a portable Shield TV. So most anything that can be done on that can be done on Switch. Unless there are exploits for later firmwares, though, I don't see the point in it. What updated Switch has to offer is way better than Android-based emulators and apps.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: decided to make wood menu the default flashcart menu instead of twl menu