Hacking Patching the 300-Title Limit: Discussion/Help/Testing Needed

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
Anyone that has problems with the 300 game limit has a severe case of what I like to call DOWNLOADAMANIA IE it's free so I must no matter what download it and install even if 90% of what I install will probably never be played more than a few times its totally pointless you are all better off having say round about 100 or so games installed and when you get bored of some of them remove them and put a new game on. And keep all your cia files on your PC that way if you do remove a game and want to play it in the future just reinstall the cia. Let's look at it another way so for instance you get a new girlfriend/boyfriend would you go out and buy 300 condoms and expect to have use for them all at the one time?? No you would not (if you did though have found the right person lol) no you would buy what you need and probably a few extra just in case you need them why should it be any different for the 3ds you install what you will play plus mabye a few extra games then when you are done with them you can delete them and put some new games on. The other problem is some people are never happy say someone does manage to increase the 300 limit to say 600 then someone will bitch and say 600 is not enough I need 900 that is what is going to happen and like I said nobody needs 300 games as you will never play them all on a continuous basis so remove some that you don't play then in future if you do then want to play them install them then. Or the really easy solution would be to just set up emunand on another sd card and problem solved access to space for another 300 games. The main problem with this world is people try to come up with solutions for problems that have already been fixed with by either using common sense or other means like I have said either delete stuff that is not used or use another sd card PROBLEM SOLVED.
English... I actually can't understand the first sentence.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
English... I actually can't understand the first sentence.
Well a huge sorry for English not being my first language lol perhaps it would have made more sense if I had put it in French :)

Last edited by AmandaRose,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can always make multiple emunands or split things up on sysnand
It's better than nothing, but i'd be nice to have that limit removed. It'd be lovely, once the 3ds is decommissioned, and 256GB microsd cards are cheap enough, to have access to ALL the games in one package. It's a solid goal, one that I support.

As a side note to the naysayers: If one doesn't see the merit, then either be curious and genuinely try and figure out why, or refrain from dumping on people who do see the merit.

Reactions: plug313 and Ronhero

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Excatly what I said ronhero

sorry I must have missed it, to be honest I didn't read the whole post :-p

It's better than nothing, but i'd be nice to have that limit removed. It'd be lovely, once the 3ds is decommissioned, and 256GB microsd cards are cheap enough, to have access to ALL the games in one package. It's a solid goal, one that I support.

As a side note to the naysayers: If one doesn't see the merit, then either be curious and genuinely try and figure out why, or refrain from dumping on people who do see the merit.

I know some devs and will look into how easy this cap could be lifted

Reactions: osaka35

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have over 1TB of 3DS games... it would be nice to be able to load all of them at my fingertips once 2TB SD cards come out :-)

I think there should be a better way to search for games to run, like instead of scrolling through the home menu (which might have TONS of games), you can just type a few letters of the game you want then choose the game you want

Holy crap, do you have like every game ever released in all regions or something? LOL

1TB SD cards are a long way off. I think 256GB is the largest commercially available and that's normal SD... MicroSD stops at 200GB for now (the SanDisk one)

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Holy crap, do you have like every game ever released in all regions or something? LOL

1TB SD cards are a long way off. I think 256GB is the largest commercially available and that's normal SD... MicroSD stops at 200GB for now (the SanDisk one)
I got No-Intro 0001-1469, so yeah, most games

I'm a game collector (I have all goodrom NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBA and redump gamecube, psx and 5TB of PS2 games, 2TB of Wii games)

Yeah, I think maybe in 7 years we get 2TB MicroSDXC ?

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

There are 512GB SD cards right now, but they're really not cost effective.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are 512GB SD cards right now, but they're really not cost effective.

Ah, I didn't know that, the largest I've seen was 256 but I haven't been shopping around recently either. I have a 128GB for my camera, phone and 3DS and really don't need a much bigger one.

2TB MicroSD... I mean, in theory it's doable, we already have 2TB SSDs that Samsung's making, but be prepared to put down another mortgage to afford one. LOL

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I finally had the opportunity to get a screenshot of this.

tTn2BCp.png

That's what comes up if you try to buy a 301st game. Maybe someone who knows more about BootNTR can play around with the process manager to see what title actually displays that message.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
yeah, someone mentioned tickets - the ticket.db seems to be a fixed size whether or not you have 40 tickets or 200 tickets.
if you somehow remove the limit and install 5000 games, the system would not be able to cope so the fix won't be as simple as you say.
the ticket.db can hold more than 300 tickets, because the 300 limit is only for apps that we see on the home screen and all the system apps that we don't see also have tickets.
but still, because the ticket.db seems to be a fixed size it won't be able to hold above X tickets, i have no idea what that number is though.

Reactions: CreativeMan

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I finally had the opportunity to get a screenshot of this.

tTn2BCp.png

That's what comes up if you try to buy a 301st game. Maybe someone who knows more about BootNTR can play around with the process manager to see what title actually displays that message.

I just use a9hl and AuReiNand to load a 2nd emunand. Makes it great for people who want to bypass the 300 or keep legit files on one and use eshop and manually installed without eshop

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While we're on the topic of bypassing limits imposed by Nintendo, I'd like to see an increase to the amount of street pass enabled games we can have at one time.

^This
I am sure way more people have hit this limit then the 300 game limit and anyone who has hit the 300 limit is guaranteed to hit this limit also. Breaking the 300 Limit would be great but it would be awesome should the streetpass limit get removed/bypassed as well as the problem will shift from over 300 games to deleting streetpass info all the time once it is corrected.

Attilla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I think the 300 title limit is not simply a number in the home menu. It is based on the fact, that the ticket.db has a fixed size, that has only enough space for 300 titles.

leerz

Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
Reactions: Zidapi

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I think it would be nice to also bypass the max number of streetpasses you can have for a game.
For example, StreetPass Mii Plaza has max of 10 streetpasses. What if you could stash the next streetpasses so you can play the first bank of streetpasses, the second bank of streetpasses, the nth bank of streetpasses..... until you run out of space on your SD card.

Also, if somebody could make a CIA installer that doesn't use AM service (can run in arm9 mode for arm9loaderhax?), that would require editing the ticket.db/title.db, and it's possible to figure out how apps are stored on the SD card. I was wanting to do this myself, so I'll get another SD card eventually to test this on another emunand...

Last edited by uyjulian,
Reactions: I pwned U!

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope this gets done! Another known user is looking at this but he recently mentioned as the op had the challenges associated with completing this task. This isn't an issue if you are an emunand user. But, if you want to go updated sysnand route than this is because than if you have a need to use more than 300 titles than your back to using emunand anyways and it defats the purpose of having an updated sysnand in the first place.

Perhaps another way to skin the cat, what if a user had two emunands on two differnt mem cards that both stem from the same emunand so they share the same Nintendo 3ds folder, would it be more possiable to create a cfw that would operate from sysnand but only emunand the specific functions necessary to hot swap to a different title list? That way you would still benifit from the improvement in speed when tranistioning through menu (which btw, is the most important benefit I have experianced from using updated sysnand over emunand)

Last edited by democracy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)