ROM Hack Patch Mother 3 with code

corniander

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My ultimate objective is to play Mother 3 (installed as a CIA) on the 3DS with a specific cheat applied.

Currently the plan is to patch the code to the rom (mother 3 translated v1.1), convert to cia and install. The problem I'm running into is in the process of applying the change to the rom itself.

From: https://forum.starmen.net/forum/Games/Mother3/Full-Cheat-Code-List/page/1/
Code:
Always Get 16 Hit Combos
(enter as a Gameshark code in VBA or whatever emulator your using.)
A986DFE1 8532B3F6
7750E1A0 3FACA8E8
368FBAB5 4691351A

^^ Confirmed working in NO$GBA

My first thought would be to convert it to Codebreaker (CB) format, then use GBAATM to patch it to the ROM as a trainer. Unfortunately that approach hasn't worked as it appears the code is a ROM patch, which Codebreaker does not support.

Converted from "AR v1/2" to "RAW" format in AR Crypt:
Code:
6404EB96 00002002
6404EBEC 00002003
6404F6A3 00003100

^^ Also confirmed working in NO$GBA

Those codes appear to be 16-bit ROM patches. An excerpt from https://gamehacking.org/faqs/hackv500c.html#gsa_code_types, under the section "Gameboy Advance Gameshark V1/V2 Code Types"

6aaaaaaa 0000xxxx
This type allows GSA to intercept ROM reads and returns the value xxxx. The address is shifted to the right by 1 (divided by 2). You can either manually shift the address left by 1, or multiply by 2 to get the real address. GSAcrypt (Win32 version) has an option to automatically shift the address for you. Note: V1\V2 hardware can only have up to 1 user-defined rom patch max. V3 can have up to 4. some enable code types can shorten the amount of user-defined rom patches available.

As far as I understand, one should be able to look up that address (shifted as described in the doc) in the rom via hex editor, and permanently write the values to the rom. This is where I'm a bit out of my depth - does anyone have experience translating GS v1/v2 16-bit rom patch codes directly into a rom? Any assistance is appreciated!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-