OTG, external HDD and exploit questions

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant, using the second controller USB port rather than an OTG cable on the back like godreborn suggested.

Also, shouldn't a FMCB MC have corrupt icons? Mine doesn't.

If you don't do the current limiter mod the front port won't work with the 1tb drive. That why there is a compatibility list for usb thumb drive due to the 100mA current limit the manufacturer set. Some hard drive has how much amp they need specified on the drive.

Reactions: Windows_10_User

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If you don't do the current limiter mod the front port won't work with the 1tb drive. That why there is a compatibility list for usb thumb drive due to the 100mA current limit the manufacturer set. Some hard drive has how much amp they need specified on the drive.

What about with a - 1 TB external HDD?

Last edited by Windows_10_User,

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you own a soldering iron and have ever used it for ANYTHING you can do the power mod to both front ports in under 60sec after you get the device opened. It's literally a matter of dropping a blob of solder to connect two neighboring points - once for each USB port and you don't have to do both.
That said you can use an OTG cable and not need to hard mod it at all.

Here is the power mod in pictures:

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

5.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

Post automatically merged:

If you go the easy route and use OTG, I personally prefer this style of cable since it can look basically stock if you tuck the HDD/SSD/Flash drive somewhere out of sight.

Link to Amazon listing

1678877298393.png

Attachments

• 1678877230625.png
    1678877230625.png
    73.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited by esmith13,

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If you own a soldering iron and have ever used it for ANYTHING you can do the power mod to both front ports in under 60sec after you get the device opened. It's literally a matter of dropping a blob of solder to connect two neighboring points - once for each USB port and you don't have to do both.

View attachment 359139
View attachment 359140
View attachment 359141
View attachment 359142
View attachment 359143

If you go the easy route and use OTG, I personally prefer this style of cable since it can look basically stock if you tuck the HDD/SSD/Flash drive somewhere out of sight.

Link to Amazon listing

View attachment 359146

Do your PS1 games lag on POPStarter via USB, especially in FMVs?

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do your PS1 games stutter if running POPStarter from USB, especially on FMVs/audio?

Shouldn't a FMCB MC have corrupt icons? Mine doesn't.
?? POPStarter is the software used to play PS1 on a real PS2... PS Classic uses traditional emulation, not POPStarter.

POPStarter has issues on PS2 via USB because PS2 USB ports are USB 1.1 which is considerably slower than USB 2.0, which is what the PS Classic has.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
?? POPStarter is the software used to play PS1 on a real PS2... PS Classic uses traditional emulation, not POPStarter.

POPStarter has issues on PS2 via USB because PS2 USB ports are USB 1.1 which is considerably slower than USB 2.0, which is what the PS Classic has.

I know but I was asking about POPStarter.

I can't make POPStarter work via SMB and I want to run both PS1 and PS2 games this way. I also want both PS1 and PS2 games to be in the same external HDD and even if, it seems, PS1 games don't lag (or less, at least) on POPStarter via USB unlike PS2's on OPL via USB, the PS2 mightn't provide enough energy to power a 2.5" external HDD unless an USB Y-cable connected to both PS2 USB ports or a self-powered USB hub connected to the PS2 are used with it but I don't want to use them and I also don't want to use a 3.5" external HDD but a 2.5" one so I have no choice but to learn how to run POPStarter via SMB or use IRISMAN to run PS1 games on the PS3, which I decided to (at least until I'm convinced to use the PSC to play them), since it's easier and more compatible than POPStarter.

Is the PSC's PS1 game compatibility good?

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Autobleem 1.0 lets you use the stock interface but have the games launch with retroarch instead of the stock emulator. This has 3 main benefits:
1) Games run really really good
2) You can customise the visuals like any other retroarch setup, including scaling, shaders & graphics upgrades for 3D games
3) Lightgun support! Any "mouse style" lightgun will work which includes dolphin bar and wiimote, AE Lightgun and GUN4IR lightgun

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

View attachment 359139
View attachment 359140
View attachment 359141
View attachment 359142
View attachment 359143

Link to Amazon listing

View attachment 359146

Autobleem 1.0 lets you use the stock interface but have the games launch with retroarch instead of the stock emulator. This has 3 main benefits:
2) You can customise the visuals like any other retroarch setup, including scaling, shaders & graphics upgrades for 3D games
3) Lightgun support! Any "mouse style" lightgun will work which includes dolphin bar and wiimote, AE Lightgun and GUN4IR lightgun
This was super helpful. I'd had been reading mixed results with OTG adapters for the Playstation Classic. I bought 5 of them a back when Target was selling them for near $15 each. My plan was modify them with custom firmware and load up the entire PlayStation library on external drives and give them to family for Christmas. I forgot and they sat for a while. So now that project is going to happen again so I can finally do that and make some people happy.

Hearing that lightgun support works is even better because everyone I plan to give one of these to has a USB sensor bar and a couple Wiimotes floating around.

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was super helpful. I'd had been reading mixed results with OTG adapters for the Playstation Classic. I bought 5 of them a back when Target was selling them for near $15 each. My plan was modify them with custom firmware and load up the entire PlayStation library on external drives and give them to family for Christmas. I forgot and they sat for a while. So now that project is going to happen again so I can finally do that and make some people happy.

Hearing that lightgun support works is even better because everyone I plan to give one of these to has a USB sensor bar and a couple Wiimotes floating around.
Just realize that wiimote support is based on having a Dolphin Bar which is what actually plugs into the classic and is seen as a mouse. Wiimotes won't work without it and mouse mode on a dolphin bar is limited to a single player.
That said, I never actually tried multiplayer lightgun on the classic with AE guns or Gun4ir either.

Good luck with your project!

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

Could you tell me what do you mean by "really good"? Why does it run them using Retroboot if the PSC can already run them without it (the same goes for Project Eris)?

Is AutoBleem better than Project Eris? Why is there no PSP core on PS2's, PS3's and PS Vita's RetroArch?

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you tell me what do you mean by "really good"? Why does it run them using RetroArch if the PSC can already run them without it (the same thing goes for Project Iris)?

Is Autobleem better than Project Iris? Why is there no PSP core on PS2's, PS3's and PS Vita's RetroArch?
really good as in not crappy like the stock emulation.

both projects have pluses and minuses. pick which one suits your need more. personally, I jumped back and forth between them until Autobleem added lightgun support at which point that became the solid winner for me personally.

Not that your last question is even remotely on-subject, but ps2 can't handle it and ps3 & vita don't need retroarch to run psp as they both have superior methods to do it already.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
really good as in not crappy like the stock emulation.

both projects have pluses and minuses. pick which one suits your need more. personally, I jumped back and forth between them until Autobleem added lightgun support at which point that became the solid winner for me personally.

Not that your last question is even remotely on-subject, but ps2 can't handle it and ps3 & vita don't need retroarch to run psp as they both have superior methods to do it already.

OK, but I still don't get why it's crappy. Does it have a higher PS1 game compatibility? It seems Project Eris is more recent than AutoBleem and I don't care about light gun support, so should the former be installed? Is AutoBleem easier to install than Project Eris?

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, but I still don't understand why it's crappy. Does it have a bigger PSP game compatibility? It looks like Project Iris is more recent than AUtobleem and I don't care about lightgun support so should I install the former? Is Autobleem easier to install than Project Iris?
any non-ps1 games must run in retroarch. both project eris and autobleem use retroarch. project eris hasn't been updated since 2020 and autobleem was last updated mid 2022. if anything autobleem's retroarch is more up to date.
autobleem also can have games added without needing a pc app. autobleem can selectively use stock ps1 emulation or retroarch on a game by game basis. Autobleem makes minimal changes to the stock interface (personal preference for many people) yet still allows games only playable thanks to retroarch to be readily accessible in that stock interface.
at the end of the day, use whatever makes you happy but if you're asking for help picking one my vote will always be for autobleem unless project eris gets revived from the dead with a decent and feature rich update - which you shouldn't hold you breath for.

again, just my opinion.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
any non-ps1 games must run in retroarch. both project eris and autobleem use retroarch. project eris hasn't been updated since 2020 and autobleem was last updated mid 2022. if anything autobleem's retroarch is more up to date.
autobleem also can have games added without needing a pc app. autobleem can selectively use stock ps1 emulation or retroarch on a game by game basis. Autobleem makes minimal changes to the stock interface (personal preference for many people) yet still allows games only playable thanks to retroarch to be readily accessible in that stock interface.
at the end of the day, use whatever makes you happy but if you're asking for help picking one my vote will always be for autobleem unless project eris gets revived from the dead with a decent and feature rich update - which you shouldn't hold you breath for.

again, just my opinion.

So, is Project Eris more recent than AutoBleem but was updated longer ago? Is it easier to hack the PSC with AutoBleem than with Project Eris?

How is AutoBleem's/Project Eris' Retroboot updated?

Does AutoBleem's/Project Eris' Retroboot have a higher PS1 game compatibility than the stock PS1 emulation and do PSC's PS1 game compatibility lists found on the internet regard the stock emulation or Retroboot? What if some users don't want Retroboot to begin with?

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The OTG cable need to be connect to the where the power cable is connected, not through the front, the front is limited to 5V/100mA without doing limiter mod.

Which power source supply be bought to connect to the OTG cable? According to what I read, 1A isn't enough to power the external HDD and 2.5A is needed.

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which adapter should I buy to connect the OTG cable to (which in turn will be used to connect the PS Classic's USB cable and the 2.5" 1 TB external HDD)? According to what I read, 1A is not enough to power the external HDD and 2.5A are needed.
Any OTG cable is fine as long as it has a Female Micro USB in ( for power), Male Micro USB (to PS Classic) and one (or more) Female USB-A for the storage device. If you use a mechanical HDD that needs extra power, then you upgrade the power supply that will be powering both your PS Classic and the storage device. 5v 3a would be recommended for a spinning/mechanical 2.5" HDD.

I personally prefer this type of cable since it allows hiding the HDD and power cords easier.

Rii F1 Micro USB Host OTG Adapter​

1681522019792.png

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Any OTG cable is fine as long as it has a Female Micro USB in ( for power), Male Micro USB (to PS Classic) and one (or more) Female USB-A for the storage device. If you use a mechanical HDD that needs extra power, then you upgrade the power supply that will be powering both your PS Classic and the storage device. 5v 3a would be recommended for a spinning/mechanical 2.5" HDD.

I personally prefer this type of cable since it allows hiding the HDD and power cords easier.

Rii F1 Micro USB Host OTG Adapter​

View attachment 365018

I'm worried about having a power supply incapable of providing enough energy to power the external HDD. I ordered one called Playstation Classic BLADE AC adapter FT9006 just because it says it's compatible with the PSC but I didn't recall I had to get one to power the PSC and the 2.5" external HDD. Could you show me examples of USB 5V 3A european power supplies?

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is nothing to worry about unless the power supply is junk (tho a low amperage one that is junk is just as dangerous). As long as it is a 5v power supply that meets the minimum amps you need you are fine. The supply could be 5v 10a and it won't hurt your HDD or PSC. A power supply's amperage is the MAX it can provide. It doesn't force the full amount to your devices. There is ZERO harm in having extra amps available.

Your only concerns should be if it is a decent quality and that it is ONLY 5v, not 5v & 9v or 5v, 9v & 12v like QC 2.0 and QC3.0 chargers are.

I am in the US, so I would just be guessing as to what is a good European power supply.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
There is nothing to worry about unless the power supply is junk (tho a low amperage one that is junk is just as dangerous). As long as it is a 5v power supply that meets the minimum amps you need you are fine. The supply could be 5v 10a and it won't hurt your HDD or PSC. A power supply's amperage is the MAX it can provide. It doesn't force the full amount to your devices. There is ZERO harm in having extra amps available.

Your only concerns should be if it is a decent quality and that it is ONLY 5v, not 5v & 9v or 5v, 9v & 12v like QC 2.0 and QC3.0 chargers are.

I am in the US, so I would just be guessing as to what is a good European power supply.

The thing is, I think the one I ordered is 5V but under 3A. How can it be known if it's decent?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, yeah the patty on McDs burger is 1/10th of a pound now and I think that's the pre cooked weight lol
    I use the app for the 20% off coupon and it's still over priced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why is mcdonalds overpriced if their food is bad?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean why is mcdonalds food overpriced
    Inflation and greed
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's just fries, make 'em at home
    +2
    I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol