Gaming Online play with Smash Bros. Brawl?

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just a thought. If Pokemon is meant to be the first game able to go online on the Wii in June/July, does that mean Smash Bros. Brawl will be delayed, have the online play added later or dropped entirely?

gov78

Ha made you Look
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i doubt they would drop wifi on SSMB since its one of the most awaited parts off the game probably a delay. remeber how nintendo is hush hush about alot of there games look at metroid prime 3

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I am sorta confused about how I feel towards wifi play in the new Smash Bros. The way we play Melee around here is stock 7 lives, no items, no music, and always on final destination.

I can almost guarantee that there will be no customization of wifi battles. It will most likely be 2-5 minute timed battles with medium items on either random or randomly selected player's choice maps.

Reason I think there won't be any stock battles is, say you have a 4 player match, and 2 of the people playing are complete rookies, and die off in 1 minute. Nintendo's not just going to kick you out of the battle before it's over, and no one wants to wait around for 2 people to duke it out. Plus, the 2 remaining players could be complete assholes and not even fight, and just stand around forever.

I hate timed matches, and I believe any other fighting game player would agree that time is weak. Mortal Kombat, you always turn off the timer, same with Soul Calibur, Street Fighter, any fighting game.

The only way you'd be able to play a stock battle would be 2 player, which imo, would be awesome, because 4 player battles are just too chaotic. So I pray to god that Nintendo adds at least a little customization to the wifi play. But I doubt they will, because they're about such a stupidly simple online approach that, in reality, makes it difficult.

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it's like, Nintendo is so focused on the "casual gamer" that they've pretty much forgotten or abandoned all the "hardcore gamers". They make it so simple to use, but it leaves you wanting more. This is why Xbox Live! and most PC game's online stratigies work so well, is because of the fact that it has so much more to offer. If Counter-Strike:Source's only online option was "click here to connect to other people", it would fail horribly.

Sevael

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Reason I think there won't be any stock battles is, say you have a 4 player match, and 2 of the people playing are complete rookies, and die off in 1 minute. Nintendo's not just going to kick you out of the battle before it's over, and no one wants to wait around for 2 people to duke it out. Plus, the 2 remaining players could be complete assholes and not even fight, and just stand around forever.
I don't see this being a problem. If you run out of lives, you would simply have the option to exit the match any time. You can stay and watch the rest of the match, or you can exit and look for another one to join. If you are spectating and the others stop fighting, just exit.

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
They said that they're thinking about putting online play for SSBB, but no promises. I think the actual words they used was "looking into it" or "would like to" which basically means maybe.

Fuck, I was betting on online play. Damnit, I thought it had been confirmed.
cry.gif

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure Smash Brothers Brawl being Wifi was one of the main points they made when it was revealed. And you can't delay what never had a release date to begin with.

GameDragon

Mugiwara RAWR!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sure online has been anticipated, but I don't think Nintendo is really focused on that. If Super Smash Bros. Brawl isn't online, then that might hurt it alittle.

Nintendo has an opportunity to set an example for offline fighting games by having online play in SSBB and I don't think they are taking it serious enough. Even the most minor features of online play would work, 1 on 1 matches with no lag? I'm perfectly fine with just that. Don't get me wrong, of course I would like more than that but I'll settle for what I can get.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Xdqwerty are you a family guy fan?\