• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Online Gaming Limited to 3 Hours a Week for Minors in China

bonkmaykr

funny floating nut dog
Trophies
Website
bonkmaykr.xyz
XP
Country
United States

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
My kids are allowed to play online for a maximum of 0 minutes. So obviously I agree that is healthy to limit online play for kids, what I don't agree at all is the government choosing that instead of the families.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
To many children in online games.
They'll never succeed tho...
It's easier by far to manage something like this in China, what with the insane amount of surveillance cameras there and a social credit system already in place. Also, gaming/cyber cafes are a lot more popular there, so they will have no problem tracking kids' gaming time.

Not that this is right, of course. Parents should be the only ones to choose what limits they set on their kids' gaming time. In a police state like China, I can't begin to imagine how much depression and anger taking away an outlet like gaming might lead to.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No I bet that the bribe will happen
They just won't publicly say that the bribe happended
You're thinking about it in terms of the west where corporations can seemingly control the culture. In China it's the other way around, the government sees the tech boom as a threat and is trying to slap them back into line.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Eh.. I'm not going to make friends here, but I partially agree with the Chinese government. Admitted, due to something that I heard lately.
Namely : my five year old cousin has discovered Nintendo gaming since a few months. His parents (my brother) go about it sensibly, but he's developing an addiction I don't even recall by myself (and video gaming has been my world since I was his age).
My mother takes care of her grandchildren a day per week. Today she was looking after my child, and because I was working from home I overheard something I consider horrible.
Earlier this week she looked after her other grandchildren (along which my nephew). And because he's five, there need to be correctings by a parent (my mother).
Nephew's reaction : 'I hope you don't come over anymore. Then I can play video games more often'.

No, my brother and sister - in - law didn't take kindly to him saying that, and of course : he's five. But my mother spends entire days with her grandchildren since they were born. That console (a wii) is only in his life for a few months. And that reaction? It's horrible.

*sigh *
Okay... I hoe you can see I'm speaking from just hearing this experience, not from a philosophical point of view (sorry... No 1984 comparisons today from me).

My point is now : video games can be just as addicting and destructive as drugs. And western governments just don't give a damn about that. They care about it just enough to keep soccer moms voting from them, that's all.

Is the Chinese government going too far? Yes. I don't dispute that these sorts of measurements should be a last measurement, after many other attempts to put sense in parents. But on the other hand... Parents are stupid (I speak from experience here). You think sensibility programs are going to do much? Dream on. Every parent is going to declare himself the exception to the rule, and there won't change anything.

Now? Gaming addiction is going to take a nosedive in China. So... There's that.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Parents should be the only one to police a kids video game playing time. Unless he or she is at school, then it should be the teacher.

Having the gov police your video game time is just creepy.

Reactions: Dud and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You're thinking about it in terms of the west where corporations can seemingly control the culture. In China it's the other way around, the government sees the tech boom as a threat and is trying to slap them back into line.
Yes and no. China's government is an oligarchy, so they do operate somewhat similar to a corporation, with a select few on top of the profit pyramid. Conceivably, a large enough bribe could work, and it might even be their end goal for this move. I could see Epic paying them off to keep Fortnite numbers high. :lol:

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Eh.. I'm not going to make friends here, but I partially agree with the Chinese government. Admitted, due to something that I heard lately.
Namely : my five year old cousin has discovered Nintendo gaming since a few months. His parents (my brother) go about it sensibly, but he's developing an addiction I don't even recall by myself (and video gaming has been my world since I was his age).
My mother takes care of her grandchildren a day per week. Today she was looking after my child, and because I was working from home I overheard something I consider horrible.
Earlier this week she looked after her other grandchildren (along which my nephew). And because he's five, there need to be correctings by a parent (my mother).
Nephew's reaction : 'I hope you don't come over anymore. Then I can play video games more often'.

No, my brother and sister - in - law didn't take kindly to him saying that, and of course : he's five. But my mother spends entire days with her grandchildren since they were born. That console (a wii) is only in his life for a few months. And that reaction? It's horrible.

*sigh *
Okay... I hoe you can see I'm speaking from just hearing this experience, not from a philosophical point of view (sorry... No 1984 comparisons today from me).

My point is now : video games can be just as addicting and destructive as drugs. And western governments just don't give a damn about that. They care about it just enough to keep soccer moms voting from them, that's all.

Is the Chinese government going too far? Yes. I don't dispute that these sorts of measurements should be a last measurement, after many other attempts to put sense in parents. But on the other hand... Parents are stupid (I speak from experience here). You think sensibility programs are going to do much? Dream on. Every parent is going to declare himself the exception to the rule, and there won't change anything.

Now? Gaming addiction is going to take a nosedive in China. So... There's that.

The ban is only on extensive online gaming, not all gaming. Just because a kid can't access the online portion doesn't mean they can't throw away dozens of hours every week into some offline campaign or another.

However, online gaming can be more addictive due to the nature of the beast that is both the mmo grind and just hanging out with friends. I wonder if, instead of trying to help gaming addicts, this is more meant to try and further curb exposure of kids to non-CCP approved schools of thought. Things like the animal crossing protests for Hong Kong or similar.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nintendo becomes responsible for 2024s virus +1