One Piece Odyssey demo live now with save data transferable to full game

Last year, Bandai Namco announced One Piece Odyssey, a turn-based JRPG based on the long-running manga by writer/artist Eiichiro Oda, who also contributed original character and monster designs for the game. A demo has launched today that covers the first 1-2 hours with save data that is transferable to the full release.

According to producer Katsuaki Tsuzuki, the demo will introduce players to the unique island where Odyssey takes place, original characters Lim and Adio, and the basic gameplay systems. He also says that players who are worried a turn-based RPG will be too boring or the pace of play will be too slow will be assuaged by the demo. "Typical command battle tends to be boring with button mashing," he explains, "but One Piece Odyssey takes a unique approach that incorporates elements of One Piece to provide a challenging battle experience that requires precise thinking and strategy, which can be seen in the demo version."

One Piece Odyssey will release January 12, 2023 for PC via Steam and January 13, 2023 for PS4, PS5 and Xbox Series X|S. The demo is now live on the PlayStation Store and Xbox Marketplace.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OP RPG? That could turn out to be one of the best games of the franchise. I tried a lot of OP games and they were disappointing, but hopefully not this one.

Dragon Ball Z as an RPG game was awesome, specifically AotS although most of the time the games are fighting. 😕 And whatever bs The Breakers is.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is a game I was curious about, thought it was coming out last year. I had it preordered on bandai namco store at one point. I'm not into manga or anime, but I do like the style. I guess the main thing that draw me towards this game was Sakuraba doing the music. since I have no back story with this manga, I wasn't sure if I'd like the game or not, so I'm glad there's a demo, will check it out later.

relauby

Idiot Child
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No PC demo? That's pretty stupid.
The press release never specifically said it was consoles only, but it only linked to the PSN and Xbox links, and I don't see the demo on Steam anywhere. So, I dunno, keep looking for it, maybe it's just delayed getting up there for some reason.

At least PC is getting it a day early, though.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
the art style of this franchise is UGLYYYYYY, awful, that is what kill my will to try the tv show and the games. The narrative on other hand must be good judging for it's success and longevity. Maybe I'm missing good stuff there.

Reactions: Youkai

Reiten

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Should I be playing this if I am not up to date on the show? I’m at Skypia rn
It seems like the story of the game is an original, but at the very least it's using the post timeskip crew, so that means that references to stuff you haven't seen might come up.
I've also seen some articles that had pictures with characters from the Dressrosa Arc. Of course I have no idea how much the of the manga/anime story will be referenced or shown. If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say you might want to have finished at least the Fishman Island Arc, idealy the Dressrosa Arc, if you want to be sure not to get any spoilers..

Reactions: _TheGuy_

eternal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I didn't want to watch 1,000 anime episodes... does anyone know if this game is a good place to start story wise? Or will I be forced to do the anime and/or manga just to attempt to get into One Piece? :ohnoes:

_TheGuy_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't wait! Only wish they had a demo on Steam. Would love to try it on the new Steam Deck.
If I didn't want to watch 1,000 anime episodes... does anyone know if this game is a good place to start story wise? Or will I be forced to do the anime and/or manga just to attempt to get into One Piece? :ohnoes:
Am caught up to the latest episode. You will be spoiling a large portion of the story if you play this game. It's not in chronological order I'm assuming, but the important characters and moments of the story are still there.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
save data transferable? it will not let you save in the demo. plus, you start on level 40, and have an entire group of characters. I can't say I really liked it much, possibly because I don't know who any of these people are.
Post automatically merged:

nm, looks like it saves once after beating the demo.

Last edited by godreborn,

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't wait! Only wish they had a demo on Steam. Would love to try it on the new Steam Deck.

Am caught up to the latest episode. You will be spoiling a large portion of the story if you play this game. It's not in chronological order I'm assuming, but the important characters and moments of the story are still there.
How is anyone supposed to catch up with a show that has 1k+ episodes? That'd take at least a couple of months to watch.

And I thought Dragon Ball Z was big (291 episodes). 😆

9x0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
How is anyone supposed to catch up with a show that has 1k+ episodes? That'd take at least a couple of months to watch.

And I thought Dragon Ball Z was big (291 episodes). 😆
There is a website I won't name that changes the pace of One Piece to make it more consumable and closer to the manga, however its not finished and you are technically not watching the whole show.

I am currently on the last episode of Arabasta and will probably try to catch up before playing the games. :wacko:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi