old cartridges that don't boot without blowing.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
blow-me-tee.jpg

This shirt comes to mind.
what is the way of using this? i apply the spray, then use a soft cloth (cotton swabs for example) and rub the contacts, or i apply and leave that way?
I would assume you clean it off afterwards, leaving residue on contacts is rarely a good idea. It might need to be left on for a few minutes to work.

Reactions: migles

Foxchild

Goomba Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back in the NES days, my brother and I were of the superstition that blowing into cartridges was bad for them, so we never did. Our carts were always either in the sleeve or the console, and other than borrowed/rented games we rarely had issues other than an occasional re-insert. Never had any issues with ds/3ds carts working. So my theory is good maintenance from day one goes a long way.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
what is the way of using this? i apply the spray, then use a soft cloth (cotton swabs for example) and rub the contacts, or i apply and leave that way?
Yep, leave it for around 2-3 minutes then use a soft cloth and rub the contacts.

While you COULD leave it there (it doesn't leave any residues afaik) it's better if you combine its action with the rubbing action of the cloth.

Also, another cheapo way of getting the carts to work is to use one of those ink pen erasers: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/221319969843-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

With one of these you can marginally scratch the surface to remove all the gunk that got on it during the years. It'll be like new :yay:

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Yep, leave it for around 2-3 minutes then use a soft cloth and rub the contacts.

While you COULD leave it there (it doesn't leave any residues afaik) it's better if you combine its action with the rubbing action of the cloth.

Also, another cheapo way of getting the carts to work is to use one of those ink pen erasers: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/221319969843-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

With one of these you can marginally scratch the surface to remove all the gunk that got on it during the years. It'll be like new :yay:

woa, the blue part of the pink rubber is actually usefull?

thanks for the help

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My FF3/6 cart is really fucked up, and blowing/cleaning it helps but some parts are a bit loose so I need a new copy of FF3 unfortunately. At least my saves are still there; the battery backup is my main concern. I have to position the cart in a certain way on top of my SNES for it to run properly, but it does work.

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remington Oil Wipes. Works wonders on my M16 too. The liquid is already in the rag and the texture helps with taking the oxidation off. Cleans, lubricates, protects. About $7 bucks for 60 from Walmart.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I remember cleaning up my Mario Kart 64 cart that I bought yesterday but this is just so 'retro'.

Don't recall needing to blow or clean my Sega Megadrive carts back then.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: there a bunch of good games missing, one of them (which makes a lot of sense for this type of...