Homebrew Official Wii Youtube Channel will soon no longer be supported, is there a Hombrew App to replace it?

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No longer supported doesn't mean it's going to magically stop working one day, or magically disappear one day. Seriously man. And if heaven forbid it did uninstall on its own (impossible) you can always put it back with homebrew. It's not like the wad file disappears from the Internet.

Sticksandstones

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No longer supported doesn't mean it's going to magically stop working one day, or magically disappear one day. Seriously man. And if heaven forbid it did uninstall on its own (impossible) you can always put it back with homebrew. It's not like the wad file disappears from the Internet.
If you hadn't been living under a rock for the last two months, you'd have noticed that it "magically stopped working" at the end of June, two days before the loss of support was announced to be. :P

Last edited by Sticksandstones,
Reactions: OrGoN3

ShadowtearX

Trophies
XP
Country
RELEASE
WiiMC+YT (end-user edition!)
P6zm47.jpg

This is basically just WiiiMC with the addition of YouTube support (thanks @Winter-Knight !)
It's still in early beta and stuff, but at least now it exists!
It's made as simple as possible, just download, move to SD Card, and run!
.zip File Linked Below - Enjoy!
------
Credits: @Winter-Knight
Creators of WiiMC
------
:download:DOWNLOAD

Dont forget that in the forums of WiiMC there is a release called WiiMC+ with a ton of modifications that make the application way better:
http://www.wiimc.org/forums/topic/wiimcv14-enhancement-pack-final-distribution/

changelog: http://www.wiimc.org/forums/topic/wiimcv14-enhancement-pack-for-wiimc-1-3-0-svn1061/

Reactions: cvskid

incidentallyscribble

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

kyle9252

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just tried WiiMC-YouTube, and it works! Thanks! I could search and play videos fine. I might publicly host the Python server on my VPS with a domain (no CloudFlare tho). afaik It has a lot of bandwidth.

kyle9252

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've been trying to host the WiiMC YouTube server on my Windows Server 2012 R2 VPS using IIS, and everything is going well (http://www.youtube-wii.ml:2092) and searching for videos works, but not video playback.
The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers. The headers it did return are "Traceback (most recent call last): File "C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\youtube-wii\cgi-bin\youtube.py", line 24, in <module> subprocess.call(["youtube-dl", "-f", "18", "-o", outfile, "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=" + watch], shell=True, stdout = open(os.devnull, "wb")) File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 168, in call return Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs).wait() File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 382, in __init__ errread, errwrite), to_close = self._get_handles(stdin, stdout, stderr) File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 505, in _get_handles p2cread = _subprocess.GetStdHandle(_subprocess.STD_INPUT_HANDLE) WindowsError: [Error 6] The handle is invalid ".

Reactions: Sticksandstones

Sticksandstones

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having the same issue. I'm completely without experience setting up a local server like this, but I really want to watch YouTube without hogging someone else's bandwidth. I've gotten as far as to get search results to appear on WiiMC, but I can't seem to get video downloading/playback working at ALL.
We need some sort of tutorial for Windows or something.

kyle9252

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's a problem with Windows not having /dev/null support. I'm not sure, I've never used Python before.

Sathya

GBAtemp Professional Poetry maker
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I just started up the Wii's Youtube Channel, and received a notification that it will cease being supported on June 30, 2017. As I use my Wii as my primary way of watching Youtube on my TV, this is very concerning to me. Is there a Hombrew App for watching Youtube that is as good as the official channel? Preferably one that features a way to watch whole playlists without having to manually select the next video.
why you dont asking to wiimm?

incidentallyscribble

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've been trying to host the WiiMC YouTube server on my Windows Server 2012 R2 VPS using IIS, and everything is going well (http://www.youtube-wii.ml:2092) and searching for videos works, but not video playback.
The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers. The headers it did return are "Traceback (most recent call last): File "C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\youtube-wii\cgi-bin\youtube.py", line 24, in <module> subprocess.call(["youtube-dl", "-f", "18", "-o", outfile, "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=" + watch], shell=True, stdout = open(os.devnull, "wb")) File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 168, in call return Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs).wait() File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 382, in __init__ errread, errwrite), to_close = self._get_handles(stdin, stdout, stderr) File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 505, in _get_handles p2cread = _subprocess.GetStdHandle(_subprocess.STD_INPUT_HANDLE) WindowsError: [Error 6] The handle is invalid ".
Might be an issue with windows. Have you tried on linux?

kyle9252

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE: I managed to get past the whole /dev/null problem (I used "nul" instead of "/dev/null"). But I get a new error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\youtube-wii\cgi-bin\youtube.py", line 26, in <module>
print("Content-Length: " + str(os.path.getsize(outfile)) + "\n")
File "C:\Python27\lib\genericpath.py", line 57, in getsize
return os.stat(filename).st_size
WindowsError: [Error 3] The system cannot find the path specified: '/var/www/media/i2QxmFuPxgY.mp4'

I feel like the server is trying to send the video file before the video finishes downloading.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nobody is reading what you post.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    That Dell data breach is worse than people probably realize....
    When I worked for Dell we had access to data about military contracts and addresses for high ranking people.
    I personally handled a call from the second highest person at Raytheon. That call bothered me a lot... The guy was nice and smart what bothered me was the way management basically just blew him off instead of going the extra mile to help him.
    In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really the issue could have been solved for like 450 bucks lol
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    sometimes I wonder why anyone would ever buy mega man x legacy collection 2
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all in chronological order, which makes legacy collection 2 worthless
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i want to start singing pirate metal songs and sea shanties if i play sea of thieves
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    find a pirate metal playlist
    +2
    and sing along
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nevermind i just learned swearing is against the rules in sea of thieves

i was about to start singing the song i last put in "what song are you currently listening to" yesterday
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but yeah ig so
    swearing not allowed in a pirate game? what has the world come to
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (here's the song for context)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just add -izle to the end of every curse word, you will be fine.
    +2
    i like alestorm
    +1
    @BigOnYa too many syllables
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same lmao
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    hi, welcome to the Temp!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Welcome to the Underground!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the booty boogie from (once again) the donkey kong country cartoon could also be a good song to sing while playing sea of thieves
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.