Noob Dad here

Deakins35

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Hi guys, I'm new here, if you can help me with some information I would be very grateful. My kid what's a 3ds for Christmas, I got a friend at work who's got one but it's not reading cartridges, is it possible to hack that 3ds xl and play games (my kid want's super mario maker)?
I did manage to "hack" my son's dsi but I know that I had to buy some special cartridge. So my questions are: does it matter if 3ds is not reading cartridges? Would I be able to "hack" it because of that? If not, is it possible to buy games online(nintendo shop) and just play them on SD card?

Sorry for bothering you guys, I know there are a lot of tutorials but there are so many of them I don't know where to start!

lordkaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, I'm new here, if you can help me with some information I would be very grateful. My kid what's a 3ds for Christmas, I got a friend at work who's got one but it's not reading cartridges, is it possible to hack that 3ds xl and play games (my kid want's super mario maker)?
I did manage to "hack" my son's dsi but I know that I had to buy some special cartridge. So my questions are: does it matter if 3ds is not reading cartridges? Would I be able to "hack" it because of that? If not, is it possible to buy games online(nintendo shop) and just play them on SD card?

Sorry for bothering you guys, I know there are a lot of tutorials but there are so many of them I don't know where to start!
it depends, if the 3ds is not on the latest firmware there could still be a way to install a custom firmware (homebrew, free games, custom themes, etc.) without needing any cartridge, however, if the 3ds is on the latest firmware and it doesn't read any cartridge at all, then you're out of luck cause the current method of installing a custom firmware uses a ds flashcart that is compatible with "NTR boot" and a magnet, you can read more about it in the next page which explains everything you need to know about 3ds hacking.
https://3ds.guide/

Last edited by lordkaos,
Reactions: Deakins35

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@OP Just so you know, you don't need a cartridge to play games. You can buy digital versions from the eShop and download to a microSD card. They average about 1.5GB/game, varying between 300MB and 4GB

Deakins35

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Thanks guys!! That's great, I will look into the link you sent me lordkaos.
@Mikemk is it cheaper to buy from eshop? How much would coast me for super mario maker?

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Almost every game (including SMM) is $40. Nintendo rarely does sales and even more rarely lowers prices. So, hacking it and pirating the game is of course cheaper, but may be more morally expensive depending on your views on piracy.

Also, it would cost more, but the Wii U version of SMM is significantly better. Nintendo did a bad job porting it. If he just wants to play random levels, or only wants to share levels he makes with people nearby, the 3DS port is fine. But it can't upload levels, or download specific levels to play. And a few level parts were removed, but those aren't super important for most people.

Deleted member 408979

Gbatemp amphibian
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You could buy from the eshop but i think your kid would be better off with freeshop. That way, instead of having to buy him a new game every time he finishes one, he can just download one from the freeshop. Who knows? Maybe your kid has talent for hacking and freeshop is the one setting him on that path.

Also another thing: If you do hack it, make sure your kid DOES NOT have access to FBI.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the...