Gaming No More PSN

slayerdx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recently I have read that SONY company sent out an email and it was in regards to PSN moving and now being called SNEA, can anyone else confirm? I have posted 4 URLS that I have found in regards to this information.

URL1 information (PSP firmware users take on it so is baised, but the first url I found on it.)
"recently everyone that still is ONLINE with PSN have now received an avance email from Sony that says starting April 1st, 2011 Nope, it not a Early Joke, Sony loves this day for some reason! That all PSN Accounts are going to be transfered over to a new company called SNEA and if you do not accept the new Terms Of Service, your existing PSN account will be CLOSED and any leftover PSN funds will be returned!

Another thing see reading thru the new Privacy Policy is they are also during the switch-over pushing you for Credit Card info, even if you don't wish to use it incase of future purchases, it looks to me like a push towards a more PAID system in the near future similar to XBOX Live has been, and a way insure that all existing modded systems are OFFLINE as most likely their will be alot of background network changes to support the new SNEA setup!"

URL2 information (what was pretty much in the email)
"On April 1, 2011, Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC (“SCEA”)
will transfer its online services operations, including your wallet
and the funds in it, to Sony Network Entertainment America Inc. (“SNEA”).
The first time you sign in to your Sony Online Services account on or
after April 1, you will be asked to enter into a new Terms of Service and
User Agreement with SNEA. If you do not wish to enter into a contract with
SNEA, you may decline the terms of service and we will close your account(s)
and return your funds. You can preview the new Terms of Service and User
Agreement with SNEA at: http://playstation.innovyx.net/r?xncJcvvEcWlHHqEHWHTPJcvTlJv

PlayStation®Network will continue to provide you with the highest standard
of interactive entertainment. Your access to the best games, movies, TV
shows, music and friends will remain intact. Thank you very much for being
part of the PlayStation®Network online community! We look forward to continuing
to bring you the best in innovative online entertainment!"

URL3 is a link for what the details entail to the transfer
URL4, shows that even "qriocity" has posted something about SNEA??

http://www.ps3news.com/modules/image_uploa...w=500&h=400
^^^Pretty much if you don't want to read.^^^

URL1: http://psx-scene.com/forums/f6/psn-changin...greement-83951/
URL2: http://thegamershub.net/2011/03/sony-trans...twork-division/
URL3: http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-online-n...1-a-118716.html
URL4: http://www.qriocity.com/psnlegal/us/privacy.html

any takes on the information? sorry for repost, but i felt like it needed to be in 2 forums, as it concerns both psp and ps3 users (but mostly ps3)

slayerdx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it is quite sneaky. They force people to switch and follow their new rules. i'm just kinda confused. can anyone confirm this?

naglaro00

Mildly disturbed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
April 1

right

edit: read all three sources
ohnoes.png

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually got that e-mail, so I believe it to be true. Guess we'll find out. With everything going on with Sony right now, I'm honestly not surprised that they are giving the PSN stuff to its own concentrated section. Probably makes it easier for them to monitor activity or something.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not going to read through all of this, but from what I'm seeing, all that's happening is that PSN is going to be controlled by Sony's Networking division instead of the Computer division. Since the Terms of Service you agreed to were under the Computer division, it makes sense that you'd have to agree to them or the new version again under the Networking division. Making you have a credit card on file isn't a big deal either; Amazon's new Android App Store won't let you download any free apps without having a One-Click Payment method set up either. No big deal.

As for your account being closed with funds returned, well, no fucking duh. If you tell them 'No, I don't agree to these terms', do you really expect they'll just say 'Well, OK, just do whatever you want then'? No, they'll say 'thanks for your business, out you go', and they have no obligation to do anything but that.

I'm not a huge fan of anything Sony's been doing lately, but you fearmongers are making a mountain out of a molehill. It's a change of one letter and an updated ToS, stop crying over it.

Also, I received no e-mail of the sort, although I also haven't bought anything from the PSN since late '09 or early '10, and after all the tinkering I've done with my PSP I'm not even sure that the account and PSP are still associated with each other. Probably been at least a year since I signed in last, anyways.

slayerdx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FireEmblemGuy said:
I'm not going to read through all of this, but from what I'm seeing, all that's happening is that PSN is going to be controlled by Sony's Networking division instead of the Computer division. Since the Terms of Service you agreed to were under the Computer division, it makes sense that you'd have to agree to them or the new version again under the Networking division. Making you have a credit card on file isn't a big deal either; Amazon's new Android App Store won't let you download any free apps without having a One-Click Payment method set up either. No big deal.

As for your account being closed with funds returned, well, no fucking duh. If you tell them 'No, I don't agree to these terms', do you really expect they'll just say 'Well, OK, just do whatever you want then'? No, they'll say 'thanks for your business, out you go', and they have no obligation to do anything but that.

I'm not a huge fan of anything Sony's been doing lately, but you fearmongers are making a mountain out of a molehill. It's a change of one letter and an updated ToS, stop crying over it.

Also, I received no e-mail of the sort, although I also haven't bought anything from the PSN since late '09 or early '10, and after all the tinkering I've done with my PSP I'm not even sure that the account and PSP are still associated with each other. Probably been at least a year since I signed in last, anyways.

I just find it problamatic. Since we have to switch to "SNEA" there may be new rules and stuff. But who knows until PSN releases more information on this. Until this post is just a question of confirmation that PSN will not exist anymore.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, from the very limited reading I've done, PSN will exist, under the same name, and largely as it is now, just under the Network division rather than Computer. And with a change like that, a ToS/rule change is of course very likely, as it'd pretty much be the best time to draw a new one up from scratch.

allterran

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just read through the new TOS from SNEA and I don't see any reference to CFW. All I see is information about how they handle your personal information. I personally don't have CFW on my PS3 but am curious as to whether or not they will continue to ban CFW users.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
My brother got the email today for our shared PSN. It seems that since they do include your gamer tag in the mail, it may take a little big longer for them to reach everybody.

Sir VG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The reason for the April 1st date is nothing with April Fools, but it's the first day of the business year. Which is why a lot of business announcements/transactions happen that day, like the Squaresoft-Enix Merger.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
10_0ARMY said:
It seems fine. Just don't forget your login info and accept the terms of use like always...its no big deal PSN will still be PSN after April 1st.

They have somewhere buried in this TOS that PSN may in the future no longer be a free service.

10_0ARMY

THE *Original* 1 Man Army
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Maz7006 said:
10_0ARMY said:
It seems fine. Just don't forget your login info and accept the terms of use like always...its no big deal PSN will still be PSN after April 1st.

They have somewhere buried in this TOS that PSN may in the future no longer be a free service.

And if thats the case...then FUCK YOU sony just like I say FUCK YOU microsoft and I will live with Wii online instead of both Wii and PS3. Paying to use an online service is so dumb...I mean you already pay a monthly internet bill, y have to pay another fee just to use what you already have.
wtf.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.