No Man's Sky officially delayed to August 10th

header.jpg

After initially planning to release for PS4/PC on June 21, developer Hello Games has confirmed that their highly anticipated title, No Man's Sky, has been delayed to August 10, 2016 in order to give the game a little extra "polish".

Hello, Sean Murray from Hello Games here, working extremely hard on our game, No Man’s Sky.

The game really has come together, and it’s such an incredible relief. As we sit an play it now, and as I watch playtesters every day, I can finally let myself get excited. We’re actually doing this.

However, as we approached our final deadlines, we realized that some key moments needed extra polish to bring them up to our standards. I have had to make the tough choice to delay the game for a few weeks to allow us to deliver something special.

:arrow: Source

Aether Lion

GBATemp's Pet Lion
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I'm not mistaken, I watched one video on this, it was kind of a QnA and the developer said himself that he did NOT want this to be like Minecraft in any way. The building elements are very small and it'd take forever to build. I'll have to find the video or maybe someone else knows where it's at. I watched it months ago so I may be mistaken.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Meh. I'm still interested in grabbing it, I'm not gonna get my panties in a twist because I have to wait another couple months.
Ditto, it's always sounded a bit too ambitious for me, especially from such a small team, but whilst it's never been the game I'm most looking forward to this year, I'm still looking forward to at least trying it, and not arsed about a 2 month delay: if the end result is gonna be that bit better than before, then bring it on!

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I'm not mistaken, I watched one video on this, it was kind of a QnA and the developer said himself that he did NOT want this to be like Minecraft in any way. The building elements are very small and it'd take forever to build. I'll have to find the video or maybe someone else knows where it's at. I watched it months ago so I may be mistaken.
You're right. Like I said earlier in the thread, pretty much the only Minecraftian thing NMS has going for it is the procedurally generated content. People need to learn that procedurally generated content does not guarantee the game is anything like Minecraft.

KSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it just me or does the game sound way too ambitious for its own good.

I read the idea behind it, and although it sounds very good, but can it really be pulled off?

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it just me or does the game sound way too ambitious for its own good.

I read the idea behind it, and although it sounds very good, but can it really be pulled off?
If you read this thread, or any other regarding No Man's Sky, you'd know that no, it's not just you, but that was probably just a turn of phrase. Anyway, there's no point in asking. We'll find out in August.

KSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We'll see soon.

I can believe it if the game has like a gazillion dollar budget like Uncharted, but given the realistic budget and unrealistic goals, seems too good to be true. I guess we'll see.

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We'll see soon.

I can believe it if the game has like a gazillion dollar budget like Uncharted, but given the realistic budget and unrealistic goals, seems too good to be true. I guess we'll see.
It's procedurally generated, though. It's not like they have to design quintillions of planets by hand. If they can get just one planet procedurally generated (which they have showcased in their videos), they can procedurally generate billions. Honestly, I just don't get the whole "overly ambitious" thing. If they promised that every single one of the 1487632847683424768 planets was completely unique, then yes, I'd think that was overly ambitious. Eventually you will end up not being surprised by the type of landscapes, flora, and fauna you encounter, but that should be obvious, right?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
It's procedurally generated, though. It's not like they have to design quintillions of planets by hand. If they can get just one planet procedurally generated (which they have showcased in their videos), they can procedurally generate billions. Honestly, I just don't get the whole "overly ambitious" thing. If they promised that every single one of the 1487632847683424768 planets was completely unique, then yes, I'd think that was overly ambitious. Eventually you will end up not being surprised by the type of landscapes, flora, and fauna you encounter, but that should be obvious, right?
This. I don't think No Man's Sky is "overly ambitious" at all. The only problem I can foresee them having when it comes to the actual "complexity" of making a game like this (and I assume this is why it's been delayed) is with procedural generation you always have to refine the algorithms used to generate everything or else problems can occur, I imagine while going through development they've come across a lot of weird, glitch-y, broken planets that might cause issues with the game itself and they're trying to fix that.

Reactions: Deleted User

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This. I don't think No Man's Sky is "overly ambitious" at all. The only problem I can foresee them having when it comes to the actual "complexity" of making a game like this (and I assume this is why it's been delayed) is with procedural generation you always have to refine the algorithms used to generate everything or else problems can occur, I imagine while going through development they've come across a lot of weird, glitch-y, broken planets that might cause issues with the game itself and they're trying to fix that.
Quite possibly. In one of the interviews, Sean Murray showed what happens when you make just one alteration to the algorithm they use. If I remember correctly, he showed a mountainous planet, changed the overall algorithm and had it turn into a completely flat, desolate place. That shows how volatile their algorithm is. They can't edit it any more after the game is released, though, because it'll essentially result in a wipe of all progress every player's made, so they need to make absolutely sure that their final product is worthy. It's literally impossible for their development team to check all planets, though, so no matter how much refinement they do it's entirely possible (and quite likely) that weird, glitch-y, broken planets remain.

Reactions: Deleted User

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Reminder that delays are GOOD; they almost always results in a better game. Most Zelda games get big delays! I would choose better over sooner any time.
can someone please tell me what this game is about, I keep hearing stuff about how this is going to be great but I never get any information as to why?
There used to be this great video, "10 things to do in no man's sky" or something like that. But now there are a ton of videos with very similar titles. I guess you can read up on it or wait for it to be released!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3731269

Reactions: keven3477
D

Deleted-379826

I woulda made my first report but I can't access my computer till I wake up so if someone wants too or just update The creator has been receiving death threats :(

Last edited by ,

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I woulda made my first report but I can't access my computer till I wake up so if someone wants too or just update The creator has been receiving death threats :(
It's not uncommon for developers, musicians, comedians, actors, etc. to receive death threats. People are idiots and assholes regardless of their pastime of choice.

Reactions: Deleted-379826

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/xeWd4a5RYJ8?si=URwg3PNBQa5zPuXt that birthday cake look jumpin