Hardware Nintendo Switch Technical Specifications Discussion

What SoC do you think the Nintendo Switch will use? + Reasons in thread.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Seems the battery is not replaceable which isnt nice, but not a major issue for most.
I won't care too much if:
  • It has a life expectancy of at least two years (hell, my NDS Lite's battery still holds up and it's almost 10 years old, damn)
  • It is easy to move your games from one console to the next you buy, by yourself. Account system like Microsoft's or Sony's.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Seems the battery is not replaceable which isnt nice, but not a major issue for most.
I already covered it in the Foxconn rumour. The battery is closer to those in a MacBook, i.e. A large block taking all of the device's open space and requires minor electronic skills to replace. It might not be modular but battery life can be much higher.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

• It has a life expectancy of at least two years (hell, my NDS Lite's battery still holds up and it's almost 10 years old, damn)
  • It is easy to move your games from one console to the next you by, by yourself. Account system like Microsoft's or Sony's.
I've already done a account based transfer from my friend's wii u to mine without even knowing that wii u's id. That's in 2014.

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
  • It is easy to move your games from one console to the next you buy, by yourself. Account system like Microsoft's or Sony's.
Latest Li-ion batteries last quite a while and discharge extremely slowly. Nintendo did promise an account system like that a while (when we saw bill looking att that orange when the wiiu's capabilities were revealed, like 4 years ago now.)

TheDarkGreninja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Friend told me (not the same person as the one on the master branch, IDK what branch theyre on, I for one am on Release) that Epic has updated the presets but i cant say for sure, I'll ask the other friend to confirm.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
come on nintendo isnt this supposed to be their most powerful console yet
Well, that wouldn't be difficult to pull off, or something to brag about.
You mean, it's more powerful than the Overclocked Triple-core Gamecube? Sure.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

TheDarkGreninja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
FCC filings show 39W power draw. Could mean nothing, could mean Switch will be a bit more powerful than we're expecting. My guess of 768GFlops was based on 22W TDP.
39w lines up with 1tflop i believe so makes sense.

Well, that wouldn't be difficult to pull off, or something to brag about.
You mean, it's more powerful than the Overclocked Triple-core Gamecube? Sure.
Indeed, power isn't Nintendo's plan for this console.
I'll refer to this Forbes article which everyone here should definitely read: http://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieba...s-actually-good-news-for-gaming/#36b738177b56

TheDarkGreninja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, this is where Laura Kate Dale really needs to stop, she just said RDR2 may not come to switch because of rockstar not liking nintendo, this to me isnt even a fact yet by many websites is treated like one, remember the publisher is take2 so if they wanted to actually support the switch then theyd obviously release red dead whether or not Rockstar like it, seems some people need to make opinion and rumour distinct. As for overwatch this makes no sense to me as a logical conclusion, since it requires wifi you can play it anywhere there is which is pretty much everywhere nowadays, the same conclusion she applied could be applied to any multiplayer focussed game.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
39w lines up with 1tflop i believe so makes sense.
1TFlop just as a base? Because that'd be 1.3TFlops relative to GCN...Switch would be right on par with XB1 and cost less, especially given its features.

Okay, this is where Laura Kate Dale really needs to stop, she just said RDR2 may not come to switch because of rockstar not liking nintendo, this to me isnt even a fact yet by many websites is treated like one, remember the publisher is take2 so if they wanted to actually support the switch then theyd obviously release red dead whether or not Rockstar like it, seems some people need to make opinion and rumour distinct. As for overwatch this makes no sense to me as a logical conclusion, since it requires wifi you can play it anywhere there is which is pretty much everywhere nowadays, the same conclusion she applied could be applied to any multiplayer focussed game.
I've been waiting on the RDR port for PC forever now, and I don't think there's even a confirmation that RDR2 is coming to PC, either. Seems like MS/Sony want to keep that series locked down as a console seller.

Last edited by Xzi,

TheDarkGreninja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1TFlop just as a base? Because that'd be 1.3TFlops relative to GCN...Switch would be right on par with XB1 and cost less, especially given its features.
Yeah, at 39W switch would probably be able to pump out 1Tflop. Anyone know the power draw for Shield TV?

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, at 39W switch would probably be able to pump out 1Tflop. Anyone know the power draw for Shield TV?
I believe at most 25w but the power supply support 40w. 45w usb-c should might just do, while barely charging the switch in gpu heavy games.
Just got skyrim for 10 bucks so definitely not getting it for the switch.

I've been waiting on the RDR port for PC forever now, and I don't think there's even a confirmation that RDR2 is coming to PC, either. Seems like MS/Sony want to keep that series locked down as a console seller.
There are a certain things that won't go for the switch. I didn't buy a Nintendo console to remind me how twisted the world is.

TheDarkGreninja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I believe at most 25w but the power supply support 40w. 45w usb-c should might just do, while barely charging the switch in gpu heavy games.
Just got skyrim for 10 bucks so definitely not getting it for the switch.

There are a certain things that won't go for the switch. I didn't buy a Nintendo console to remind me how twisted the world is.

25w seems the most likely, although 39w would be really nice.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I mean, No More Heroes was about as crude and violent as games get. It's not like Nintendo hasn't had various DOOM games on their consoles over the years too. They're not above breaking their own rules when they think it'll get them more sales.

TheDarkGreninja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It also won't support Arabic in any way. Laura confirmed it :/
That sucks, why not though?

I'm getting really excited about the Switch now. Really hope for backwards compatibility with Wii U (and maybe even Wii).
Well it uses cartridges so its unlikely, so keeping your wii u for wii games and DS VC would be the best.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-