Hacking Hardware Nintendo switch booting but freezing after a random time

terminalshort

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I have a mariko Switch with a Picofly chip. It worked just fine until one day after many hours of use the application freezed, in Atmosphere. After reseting it, it booted normally, but it freezed again after a shorter period. After that it inmediately freezed while trying to turn it on again, sometimes not even booting and giving the error 2162-0002, amongst others.
I let it stay for the night and the next day it worked fine for many hours until the same happened again. After that it happened more often.

First I though it could be corruption in the emuMMC or an SD fault, but the freeze also happened booting Stock firmware. I've tried different SD cards, factory reseted SysNAND and reinstalled everything but no luck. I've made it freeze in Atmosphere, Stock and Hekate. Even removing the modchip and booting OFW with no SD card.

The time it takes to freeze the first time from a cold boot is random, but it is usually long. Sometimes I get to play for an hour. After that it is much faster, a few minutes usually. This is consistent.
This has led me to think it is a temperature related issue, but not a regular CPU overheat shutdown. I have also replaced the MT92 IC in case it was faulty, but the problem persists.

When the console freezes while in Hekate, CPU temperature readings are slightly above 30Cº (no heatsink). Current is in between 200-300 mA depending on backlight strength, so it seems normal. I checked for shorts in all supply rails but everything seems fine, just measuring some low impedance in the CPU supplies but it should be normal.

Finally, I looked at the board with a thermal camera after booting Hekate and I see a hotspot right above the MT92 IC. It inmediately reaches 42Cº with no activity. While in a game it gets hotter, I've measured up to 60Cº after a few minutes into a game.
This IC that's getting hot has the markings PP5 951. As I understand this is a MOSFET. Is it normal it gets this hot?

Anyway, I'm out of ideas other than replacing the MOSFET, but not sure if this hotspot is actually a fault.

Last edited by terminalshort,

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
The mosfet can get hot because it is failing but usually it will get hot because of some issue somewhere else.
Since you experience crashes in Hekate, chances that it is related to the eMMC is very low because Hekate doesn't touch it unless you run some operation on it.
So during the install there might have been some mishap like some unintended bridge of a capacitor/resistor or something broke due to applying too much heat.

There is a dedicated picofly thread where all the experts are.
Just post your details and if possible some pictures :
https://gbatemp.net/threads/picofly-a-hwfly-switch-modchip.622701/

terminalshort

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The mosfet can get hot because it is failing but usually it will get hot because of some issue somewhere else.
Since you experience crashes in Hekate, chances that it is related to the eMMC is very low because Hekate doesn't touch it unless you run some operation on it.
So during the install there might have been some mishap like some unintended bridge of a capacitor/resistor or something broke due to applying too much heat.

There is a dedicated picofly thread where all the experts are.
Just post your details and if possible some pictures :
Thanks, I’ll post my problem there

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol