Gaming Nintendo ripping us off?

MADKATZ99

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Went into EB the other day, they had a wii for $396. Which I didnt mind paying for, because you get alot of stuff for it, and it would have took time to make and design, and your paying for all the components and whatever crap went into it.
I was about to buy one, untill I seen the price of games! $110 for a single game!
mad.gif

Its an outrage. No game is worth paying that much. I dont care how the "developers" get their money from to put food on the table, but 110 for a singe game is a bit rich.
Id say $80 max. 110 is ridiculas. They lost a wii customer.
lecture.gif

Tell some nerds in germany too hurry up on the wii hacking.

D

Deleted User

What are you talking about?
there is no games for the wii that cost 110 bucks
the highest is $49.99
He's talking Australian money and some of them are $110 here. I think it's a bit of a rip off as well. The games in Australia are priced on an outdated algorythym [Sp?] when the Aus dollar was worth 50 cents of an American dollar. What you could do is Email Nintendo Australia constently until they sit up and take notice and reprice their games accordingly. Lots of people are doing this.

BTW Myer had Zelda on sale for $79.95. If you have a Myer near you you should take a trip in there and see if they have any copies left.

MADKATZ99

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks Saturnplanet5, your probaly right about that outdated algorythym thing. That sounds about right.

Time to email nintendo.
But would they do anything about it? There making alot of money out of selling them so high, I dont see why they would put the prices down. Unless people wernt buying them or somthing. And the closest myer is at erina fair about 1 hours away
tongue.gif

Its worth the drive
laugh.gif

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
edit: nevermind i was wrong apparently

In Europe the price is also much higher than if you convert from Yen (japanese currency) to Euro (european currency) and also much higher if you convert from Dollar (US currency... lol allright i'll stop it) to Euro.

Is it not possible to order games on the internet?

D

Deleted User

I think it's a case of they have been getting away for it so long they keep doing it if enough peolpe complain then maybe they might get the message. I remember when Starwing for the SNES came out and it was $120 dollars. Now you can download it in 10 seconds. :/ (Not that I would because piracy is bad. M'Kay.)

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just buy your games from big stores like Target, BigW and Kmart. They usually have the games at most around $90. EB and the like always charge maximum price on all their games.

If you think $110 for Wii is bad what about the $120 we are paying for Xbox360 games!
If 1AUD = .7823US then we are paying the equivalent of $93.88US for an Xbox360 game!!!!

MADKATZ99

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well lucky I dont have an Xbox 360
tongue.gif

Okay, ill try to stay away from EB in the future.

@ somone: You cant buy them off the net unless there in your country because of that NTSC and PAL thingy. If you buy it from USA it wont work
wtf.gif
or so i hear.

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Only time I buy from EB's is when they have their sales on (which seems to be every 2nd week
tongue.gif
) but even then they usually don't have much decent anyway.

Australia is always shafted on prices (look into the price of musical instruments/equipment, can be up to 4x as much as the cost of the same thing in the US).

As people have said before, just go to a large retailer instead, their standard prices will always be lower.

Anyway, this is why I can't wait for a freeloader, then I can import games at 2/3's of the cost they are here. I saw one 360 region free import going for $53 less than the retail price.

sipoon

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
I think australia is getting a better deal then new zealand, they have nintendo of australia right ? you can return your broken ds's for warranty i assume... in NZ all you get is a sole supplier who will charge you more than OZ and when your product is damaged under waranty, they will point you to contact manufacturer yourself... :s

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Was that the price in Australian dollars? Because AU$395 is US$320, meaning import tax + profit margin add 28% to the original US$250.

But if the Wii is US$395 in Australia, well, that's highway robbery.

And the games could be AU$ 110, they're AU$85-100 in Europe, depending on game and store.

Bowser128

King Koopa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you want the games cheaper, buy them on the internet. You don't have to worry about importing from another country, online stores are almost always cheaper than their 'bricks and mortar' counterparts, and I'm sure there are quite a few located in Oz.

You're not the only area paying inflated prices though, Europe is in the same boat. Here, the Wii is £180, which is AU$450 (US$350) and games are £40, which is AU$100 (US$80).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol