Nintendo officially reveals the OLED model Nintendo Switch console

After rumors, claims, and endless debate, Nintendo has proven that it was all true: there is a new Nintendo Switch model coming. Simply titled the Nintendo Switch (OLED model) this version of the console features a 7-inch 720p OLED screen, a new stand for the tablet, 64GB internal storage, "enhanced audio", and a dock that comes with a LAN port. The OLED Switch will retail for $349.99 USD, and launches October 8, 2021.

The system will be available in either white or the traditional Switch colors of neon blue and red. Nintendo's official site refrains from mentioning any new or more powerful processing power over the original Nintendo Switch, and states that the system will max out at 1080p/60fps when docked.

Nintendo Switch (OLED model) console

Nintendo Switch (OLED model) console
Size 102mm x 242mm x 13.9mm (with Joy-Con controllers attached)
Please note: 28.4mm at the thickest, from the tips of the analogue sticks to the ZL/ZR Button protrusions.
Weight Approx. 320g
(With Joy-Con controllers attached: 420g)
Screen Capacitive touch screen / 7-inch OLED / 1280x720 resolution
CPU/GPU NVIDIA customised Tegra processor
System memory 64 GB

You can increase your console's storage with compatible microSD cards (sold separately). For more information on compatible microSD cards, please visit our support section.

Please note: a portion of the internal memory is reserved for use by the system.
Communication features Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac compliant) / Bluetooth 4.1
In TV mode, it's also possible to use a wired LAN connection.
Video output Maximum resolution: 1920x1080, 60 fps
Please note: output via HDMI cable in TV mode. In tabletop mode and handheld mode, the maximum resolution is 1280x720, which matches the screen resolution.
Audio output Supports linear PCM 5.1ch
Please note: output via HDMI cable in TV mode.
Speakers Stereo
USB terminal USB Type-C terminal
Used for charging or for connecting to the Nintendo Switch dock.
Audio jack 4 pole stereo 3.5mm mini plug (CTIA standard)
Please note: Nintendo cannot guarantee functionality with all products.
Game card slot Exclusively for Nintendo Switch game cards.
microSD card slot Compatible with microSD, microSDHC and microSDXC memory cards. Please read our microSD Card FAQ for more information on compatible microSD cards.

Please note: an update via an internet connection is required to use microSDXC memory cards.
Sensors Accelerometer / gyroscope / brightness sensor
Operating environment Temperature: 5 - 35°C / Humidity: 20 - 80%
Internal battery Lithium ion battery / battery capacity 4310mAh
Please note: the internal battery cannot be removed. If the battery needs to be replaced, it can be replaced for a fee via Nintendo Customer Support.
Battery life Approx. 4.5-9 hours

The battery life will depend on the games you play. For instance, the battery will last approximately 5.5 hours for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
Charging time 3 hours approx.
Please note: this is the time taken to charge while the console is in sleep mode.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really hope Nintendo bothers to properly implement some form of anti burn-in features into the Switch. I have seen plenty of Samsung phones that are daily drivers or display models that have severe burn-in in as little as a year. I have seen far less iPhones do this, even store demo models hold up well which is impressive as Apple has used Samsung OLED panels in their phones so the software really makes the difference.

hopefully Nintendo will be more like the iPhone or Vita screen where burn-in was not a big issue for most.

Last edited by driverdis,

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really hope Nintendo bothers to properly implement some form of anti burn-in features into the Switch. I have seen plenty of Samsung phones that are daily drivers or display models that have severe burn-in in as little as a year. I have seen far less iPhones do this, even store demo models hold up well which is impressive as Apple has used Samsung OLED panels in their phones so the software really makes the difference.

hopefully Nintendo will be more like the iPhone or Vita screen where burn-in was not a big issue for most.

I think this mostly comes down to the "always on display" type feature, where most of the pixels are pure black while the date/time/whatever appears in blazing white. You're really wearing out some pixels faster than others when some are completely off all the time while others are getting use. Unfortunately this is the only way to really get big battery savings with OLED tech, though that doesn't seem to be much a priority with Nintendo. (I.E. I doubt they cook up a UI featuring pure black everywhere just to lengthen battery.)

grcd

Trophies
XP
Country
I think many of us here forget that both the original Switch is underclocked, and so is the new Mario Switch - underclocked and due to thermals able to go even further theoretically in terms of performance. We don't know yet if Nintendo has improved thermals, but in theory if they have made advancements there, it is possible that the OLED model runs with unlocked speeds. It won't exceed 1080 / 60, but it could then offer performance in line with custom firmware / homebrew approaches.

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
v1 = my original hacked switch

v2 = my online switch

lite = mod chip installed, I had an opportunity to buy it and because of the rarity I bought it

I have an unpatched v1 since around launch, v2 I got a great deal on earlier this year and wanted the battery improvements + a fresh battery and the animal crossing theme didnt hurt (and 2nd dock even though I barely play docked, want a dock per tv), and a lite because got a great deal on that too and I’m a sucker for handhelds. V2+Lite purchases came at the same time and wasn’t much out of pocket oddly enough otherwise I wouldn’t have done either. Escalated quickly from just one beat up v1 Switch I’ve had for over 4 years to this collection.

I think I’ll try my hand with emu on the v1, is there anything else you enjoy on it? If I convert physical to digital, how do you handle game patches while keeping it offline? Not sure I wanna bog down the SD card with all that though

Even if I just do emu, v1 will permanently stay offline to be safe since I have other Switches that will always be stock

Ive heard everything up to 5th gen is good, Wii/GC can be spotty but sometimes ok

And if modding scene isn’t that cool, should I sell v1?

Debating what to do with this OLED model, maybe sell my v2 for most of the cost of OLED for a nominal upgrade.

Keeping the Lite regardless! I love the little thing for certain games and moods and uses. I hope yours doesn’t develop drift or you’ll have to extract that unicorn chip

Last edited by playstays_shun,
Reactions: spriteice

spriteice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I have an unpatched v1 since around launch, v2 I got a great deal on earlier this year and wanted the battery improvements + a fresh battery and the animal crossing theme didnt hurt (and 2nd dock even though I barely play docked, want a dock per tv), and a lite because got a great deal on that too and I’m a sucker for handhelds. V2+Lite purchases came at the same time and wasn’t much out of pocket oddly enough otherwise I wouldn’t have done either. Escalated quickly from just one beat up v1 Switch I’ve had for over 4 years to this collection.

I think I’ll try my hand with emu on the v1, is there anything else you enjoy on it? If I convert physical to digital, how do you handle game patches while keeping it offline? Not sure I wanna bog down the SD card with all that though

Even if I just do emu, v1 will permanently stay offline to be safe since I have other Switches that will always be stock

Ive heard everything up to 5th gen is good, Wii/GC can be spotty but sometimes ok

And if modding scene isn’t that cool, should I sell v1?

Debating what to do with this OLED model, maybe sell my v2 for most of the cost of OLED for a nominal upgrade.

Keeping the Lite regardless! I love the little thing for certain games and moods and uses. I hope yours doesn’t develop drift or you’ll have to extract that unicorn chip

If your v1 is spare, I would definitely hack it if you are interested in that.

The main benefits I enjoy from my hacked switches are overclocking (makes certain games much nicer to play), emulation via retroarch (basically everything ps1 and back runs well), quake 1+2 (along with various other source ports of games), and manual save game backups.

I update my games on my offline switch by transferring the update data from my online switch via the “Match version with local users” feature.

If you don’t get what you want out of modding, you could sell your v1 switch, there is a market for it. That’s really down to your discretion though. Trading in the v2 for the OLED also sounds like a good idea too, I might even do that myself.

Drift, SD card slot failure, and USB port failure are my biggest fears with the Lite. Although I figure I might as well enjoy the Lite with the chip while it lasts, no point worrying about when it will break as long as I take care of it the best I can

Reactions: playstays_shun

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your v1 is spare, I would definitely hack it if you are interested in that.

The main benefits I enjoy from my hacked switches are overclocking (makes certain games much nicer to play), emulation via retroarch (basically everything ps1 and back runs well), quake 1+2 (along with various other source ports of games), and manual save game backups.

I update my games on my offline switch by transferring the update data from my online switch via the “Match version with local users” feature.

If you don’t get what you want out of modding, you could sell your v1 switch, there is a market for it. That’s really down to your discretion though. Trading in the v2 for the OLED also sounds like a good idea too, I might even do that myself.

Drift, SD card slot failure, and USB port failure are my biggest fears with the Lite. Although I figure I might as well enjoy the Lite with the chip while it lasts, no point worrying about when it will break as long as I take care of it the best I can

Do you have a vita too? If so you enjoy PS1 on Switch more than Vita? My understanding is the Vita emulator that’s Sony’s is phenomenal, for support for PSN ps1 games

But of course I think outside of that, Switch seems a way more reasonable emu machine than Vita which I hear is eh at best.

That’s a good idea, mod it if it’s not something cool or I appreciate I can flip it. Options are good to have and more than one switch for overall flexibility

Thanks for your insight, not a noob at modding consoles but am with Switch (obv) since I’ve never done it .

Then there’s that my v1 has a beautiful Japan Display, my v2 even though warmer has nice colors maybe even nicer once getting over the color temp differences in main menu but it has a ‘icy display’ or whatever they call it, ie the horizontal lines are runny until it warms up. Same with my lite but hadn’t really noticed until recently since its more subtle there./

Whether or not that’s worth keeping for that is another question vs v2, especially since v2 has a fresh battery, much better battery life and is less beat up in general- but a thing of curiosity to my discriminating eyes.

And my v1 is made in China, v2 in Vietnam :P I think the latter is a cooler talking point

But moot if I trade up for an OLED switch and maybe moot in general anyways. If modding doesn’t work out, maybe I’ll sell V1, v2, get the OLED and pocket some cash in net.

I’m glad to hear other users on here can be as neurotic and excessive as myself haha

Last edited by playstays_shun,
Reactions: spriteice

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the OLED screen worth getting rid of a nintendo switch that has no issues with it at all?
It really depends. From what I've seen lots of people, including me (but I don't have a Switch yet so my word is worthless) are leaning towards "If you don't have a Switch yet, then might as well get this one." Of course, that all depends on whether you're trying to hack your Switch as we'll have to wait and see for any upcoming exploits for this model. Since you already have a Switch, I personally don't see the "upgrade" to be worth it. If memory cards didn't exist and internal storage was the only way to store games then absolutely, this model would be a must-have, but doubling 32GB to 64GB is relatively minor, especially since I can get 250GB at Gamestop for $50 right now.

I'm only getting it because Shin Megami Tensei V is coming out in November and I don't already have a Switch, though I would definitely like to also get an exploitable Switch if I ever find someone nice enough to sell me one of theirs without gouging me. *cough cough* *hint hint*

Reactions: cvskid

Deleted member 514389

GBA Connoisseur
Trophies
Website
f.ls
XP
Country
Germany
so you just hook up each device usb-c to usb-c?

I would think being on WiFi it might phone home or
Something
MHmmmm. Link. Cable

It's funny you say "phone home".
The switch is well known for being a telemetry monster...

He's not wrong though. Some games look and / or run better in handheld mode than they do when in docked mode.
Hardly a surprise.

In handheld you need to render less details, as the resolution is lower.
I always play in handheld.
Thats probably why I have less to complain about.

Last edited by Deleted member 514389,

spriteice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Do you have a vita too? If so you enjoy PS1 on Switch more than Vita? My understanding is the Vita emulator that’s Sony’s is phenomenal, for support for PSN ps1 games

But of course I think outside of that, Switch seems a way more reasonable emu machine than Vita which I hear is eh at best.

That’s a good idea, mod it if it’s not something cool or I appreciate I can flip it. Options are good to have and more than one switch for overall flexibility

Thanks for your insight, not a noob at modding consoles but am with Switch (obv) since I’ve never done it .

Then there’s that my v1 has a beautiful Japan Display, my v2 even though warmer has nice colors maybe even nicer once getting over the color temp differences in main menu but it has a ‘icy display’ or whatever they call it, ie the horizontal lines are runny until it warms up. Same with my lite but hadn’t really noticed until recently since its more subtle there./

Whether or not that’s worth keeping for that is another question vs v2, especially since v2 has a fresh battery, much better battery life and is less beat up in general- but a thing of curiosity to my discriminating eyes.

And my v1 is made in China, v2 in Vietnam :P I think the latter is a cooler talking point

But moot if I trade up for an OLED switch and maybe moot in general anyways. If modding doesn’t work out, maybe I’ll sell V1, v2, get the OLED and pocket some cash in net.

I’m glad to hear other users on here can be as neurotic and excessive as myself haha

I do have multiple Vitas, and you are correct, they are the superiour way to enjoy PS1 games. Along with PSP games, and obviously first party Vita games. The Vita is my backup homebrew device in case anything happens to my hacked Lite, as it can basically do everything in terms of homebrew that the switch can, albeit with much less processing power and a smaller screen.

I can always play my Switch games on my unmodded switch in that scenario too :yayswitch: edit: This is because unfortunately the battery life is too poor on my v1 for it to be a viable handheld

I have also noticed such variations my screens too. v1 = cold color temp (My favorite for gaming), v2 = warm color temp with noticable horizontal lines, Lite = warm color temp with no noticeable lines. If you trade in your mint v2 for a mint OLED, I do not see any loss as long as the OLED panel has good color temps with no "manufacturing variances". Something I have noticed happens with Nintendo's screens, hence my curiosity as to how these OLED panels will turn out.

I collect handhelds and am quite fussy when it comes to things like the screen, so yes, there are other neurotic and excessive people out here on the internet :grog:

wouldn’t this involve bringing the offline switch, online?

As long as you do not have any WiFi networks saved on your emunand on your hacked switch, you can connect locally to your unhacked switch and transfer the update data across without going online. I have been doing this since I hacked my original v1, and have not run into issues (yet).

As far as telemetry goes, I am unsure if this is something Nintendo would record, although it isn't out of the realm of possibility. It is just a risk I accept, as I do not use online features on my hacked switches anyway.

Last edited by spriteice,
Reactions: playstays_shun

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying