Nexus Mods increases premium membership cost and removes its lifetime membership option

nexus_sites.jpg

Nexus Mods, a popular website that hosts mods for over 1300 console and PC games, is restructuring their premium memberships. While the site is available to use for free to anyone, the premium membership allows users to browse the site ad-free, have a bigger private message box, and have uncapped download speeds. While any purchase would unlock lifetime access to the first two benefits (their account would be marked as a "supporter"), the uncapped download speeds needed to be renewed regularly, or could be purchased permanently for £49.99 (the "premium" users, separate from the supporters).

However, on August 3, Nexus Mods will no longer offer the option to purchase a lifetime subscription, and will no longer grant purchasers the supporter designation that gives lifetime access to the ad-free site or bigger PM box. They will also be removing the option to renew your premium membership for 3 or 6 months, leaving only two purchase choices: monthly, billed at £4.99/month, or yearly, billed at £49.99/year. They will still, however, continue to fulfill the benefits for those in the supporter category or those who have a lifetime premium membership, so if you'd like to gain permanent access to Nexus Mods' premium experience, you've only got two weeks left to do so.

:arrow: Source

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never liked the way Nexus handles their site, they used to be the default but fortunately their are other places to get mods and have been for a long time.

I did an extensive SkyrimVR modding session recently didn't hit the Nexus once, lot of the better more recent stuff for games is on Discord.

Reactions: ChronoTrig

lilaznkilla

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Considering the amount of mods and the size some of them are, Maintaining servers to host everything will be difficult to fund without recurring payments. There is still free user model for those unhappy with the pricing

I've had my lifetime membership for years now and I appreciate that they've given a period for people to buy a lifetime membership rather than removing the option straight away.

The only issue I have with Nexus is the change preventing users from deleting their own uploaded mods.

DarknessPlay3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
After reading through this thread I feel this is relevant to clarify some things: https://help.nexusmods.com/article/...-adblockers-and-different-types-of-membership

I think I paid all of like 2 bucks for ad removal (and am also a mod author); stuff downloads fast enough even at 2MBs.

All of the "greed" comments I've read seem to have no clue what they are talking about. I've got mods up with a metric ton of downloads. After a while the bandwidth used can add up (over time or rather quick if you make hot mods. Especially when it comes to repeat downloads from things like updates/bug fixes to those mods, and I'm just one mod author.

I think something like this is forward thinking and sustainable... The site remains free for end users to still use and get free downloads, and thankfully it's not like a streaming service or a live service where bandwidth is critical to usage. Premium is effectively like helping finance the site so others can benefit from it, as everything costs something.

Personally with how much I've used the site Premium is something most end users don't need at all. The real reason behind getting it would just be to support the people who provide the environment and hub. I'd say this is a good change

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
is this even worth the price, for no ads there's adblockers and the capped download speed wasn't THAT slow, as for bigger pms i cant say anything there i dont get nexus mods pms
The only times I see the membership useful is if you're downloading a bunch of mods at one time or you're downloading big mods. Recently installed 300+ mods for Skyrim and Morrowind respectively and having a membership made downloading all of the mods a cinch. It was pretty annoying downloading 10gb+ texture mods and having it take a few hours when with my membership I was able to make it only about 20 mins.

That being said I can't really see any advantage to having a membership otherwise unless you're super impatient.

Reactions: DarknessPlay3r

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only times I see the membership useful is if you're downloading a bunch of mods at one time or you're downloading big mods. Recently installed 300+ mods for Skyrim and Morrowind respectively and having a membership made downloading all of the mods a cinch. It was pretty annoying downloading 10gb+ texture mods and having it take a few hours when with my membership I was able to make it only about 20 mins.

That being said I can't really see any advantage to having a membership otherwise unless you're super impatient.
Downloading a lot of mods at once is basically the only thing I do on Nexus, so yeah, my lifetime membership is pretty nice.

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oooff!

I can kind of see why they're doing it, but at a time when publishers/developers and resellers (Steam, etc) are looking to charge for mods, your taking away your advantage.

This will, in time, sway users opinions toward paying for "official" mods.

Wryyyong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Remember when mods creators were mad about Bethesda paid mods and now lookt at Nexus fuck Nexus
Never pay for mods if you're a pirate. Argh.
May as well close the site then. If they're going to charge people to access content that Nexus Mods doesn't even make, a competitor that doesn't will spring up. It's next level cheek - not even Sony or Microsoft charge players to access *the storefront*, the storefront is where you go to make your purchases. The fact that they have an access fee at all is egregious enough.
How To Spot Illiterate People: 101

refer to signature

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Well that's downright idiotic, removing the lifetime fee yet also raising the periodic prices.
One or the other, Nexus, not both!

This, along with the non-premium download speeds already being good enough, is why I have never paid Nexus; just joined 'em.

zeppelin03

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read the post on Nexus Mods itself and the reasoning made sense. I use the site often and will gladly pay for a month membership when doing a bunch of Elder Scrolls modding. Free still works great the rest of the time. If $8 a year helps keep it up I don't mind.

Deleted member 514389

GBA Connoisseur
Trophies
Website
f.ls
XP
Country
Germany
Thats why despise most "services" or "abonnements"
(Aside internet access obviously duh):

They change things around as you please.

Glad I'm not that much of a gamer nowadays anymore
*rubs GBA to cheek smilingly *

BlackZero500

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
XD im suprised yet again how shallow some of you are. Whining about a change in system and calling them greedy. Read some of the news on the site and you see its to fund a new system to fund Modders. They want to implement a system where modders can turn "Points" they get for unique downloads of their mods into Money. That needs a huge amount of Funding. But if you think that The Biggest and best Organized Modding Site there is, also the only one that supports Modders in any way at all, is greedy then you should really change the way you build opinion. Its not like you cant use the Site any less without paying. Paying just removes Ads and gives you higher speeds. Used the site for free for Years before i had the money to support them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Nope.