Hacking New to flashcards since post-original R4

Tranquil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a friend living far away from me, but I am shipping him a DS Lite, a DSi R4i Gold card and a 2 gb microSD card. I used to use an original R4 on my DS and I knew easily how to set it up, it was as simple as extracting the firmware files onto the DS and then dragging the .nds files, but I'm not sure what has changed since then.

The original R4 is dead right? Is this the latest/best one?:

http://www.zhuzhuchina.com/store/dsi_r4i_gold_slot-1_flashcard_type_d__www_r4ids_cn__3ds_1_4_3_compatible_wood_3ds.html?search_string=r4i+old&search_category_id=0

And this is compatible with the DS Lite or only the DSi? The name of the flashcard is a bit misleading so I'm not too sure.

What I plan on doing since my friend isn't tech savvy, I'm going to have him connect the microSD card to his computer and then I will remotely connect to him and set it up for him...how is the process different from how it used to be? I don't really know anything about WOOD or if I even need it, so yeah...any help would be much appreciated, thanks :)

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
R4 is dead
has been for ages

many people have mooched the name

the one you have selected is a good one tho
it will work on latest DSi and also 3DS (only pays DS games tho)

Wood is a good kernel (as long as you dont mind waiting for updates every few weeks on newer games)

its probally the best cheapest one you will find

process

Kernel install (Wood) is a copy and paste to the root

Frimwre updating (to work on updated DSi/3DS firmware)
is placing a file on the card then pressing "B" to check the card is compatibile with udpate, then pressing "A" to proceed
(the card needs to be updated before the console, and must not be turned off while updating)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
As stated all the "R4"s nowadays are not made by the original R4 team, they're just using the name. Most are bad, but you picked out a good one.

They're not limited to 2GB anymore. You can use up to a 32GB MicroSD.

Anything that works with the DSi/3DS will also work with the DS/Lite.

The process is the same, just extract and drag-drop the files.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: uwu