New 3DS XL dont Start

Vikplays

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello folks,

I've searched the forum and haven't found any help.

It is all about:

I have a Nintendo New 3Ds Xl that used to run with a CFW. Unfortunately, I can no longer say what it was.

The SD card was removed by my girlfriend and used for her cell phone, so all the data was gone.

Now I wanted to start that. Unfortunately nothing happens.

The blue led stays on and the screens remain black. No matter how long the console is on.

Start with luma boot files on the SD card and start with shoulder buttons D-Pad and bring nothing.
Searched in the Forum and every solutions dont Work For me 😕.

Maybe someone can help me how to get my sweetheart up and running again.

Kind regards

vic

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That is a general statement and doesn't say what you have tried exactly.
=====
Remove any game cartridge or flashcart. Also remove the SD for now.

Hold (Select) on power on. If the following are true, Luma3DS settings should appear
  • A9LH or B9S is installed
  • Luma3DS has been copied to CTRNAND
  • (Select) button is working
If nothing comes up I can think of the following reasons:
  • No CFW installed, console bricked because of CFW uninstallation after changing vital system files/components
  • Official firmware bricked and (Select) not working stopping you from starting the settings (or another CFW without settings menu is on CTRNAND)
  • Hardware failure (sorry to be unspecific; 3DS aren't exactly verbose on error)
=======================

Please check your SD with h2testw or F3 before trusting it. Try multiple FAT32 formatted SDs if needed. Put Luma3DS boot file from multiple versions on your SD. (try one after another)
  1. Latest version → for latest B9S (boot.firm)
  2. v7.1 → for B9S v1.0 (boot.firm)
  3. v7.0.5 → For A9LH (arm9loaderhax.bin)
Similar to above; If nothing comes up I can think of the following reasons:
  • No CFW installed, console bricked because of CFW uninstallation after changing vital system files/components
  • Bad SD, wrong file system (must be FAT32), Bad SD reader
  • Hardware failure (sorry to be unspecific; 3DS aren't exactly verbose on error)
======================
======================

Next step: ntrboot. This should result in a clean installation of B9S for further troubleshooting. You can ntrboot into GodMode9 alternatively.

Vikplays

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thank you for your prompt reply.

Unfortunately, my English is not that good, so I have to use the Google translator.

I'm sorry I gave so little information.
I have already tested the steps and tests you mentioned.

The console also does not start with the select key held down.

I also tested my SD card with h2testw and no errors and works without problems.

I have already carried out the successive checks with Luma and there was no success.

What I can remember is that I inserted an R4 card with games and then the console displayed an error and would no longer start.

Could this be an MCU Brick as you read here in the forum from time to time?

Thank you!

I hope I can get my baby back, otherwise it's a case for the garbage.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Could this be an MCU Brick as you read here in the forum from time to time?
I don't think it would even turn on with MCU brick. Can't find this information at the moment.

I also tested my SD card with h2testw and no errors and works without problems.

I have already carried out the successive checks with Luma and there was no success.
That rules out the most things. Only option left: ntrboot
If there is no hardware damage ntrboot should start SafeB9SInstaller or GodMode9.
=============

Don't throw away the console in case of no success. 3DS are out of production and replacing the motherboard is possible (not easy, but easier than replacing the upper screen). The method "make one good device out of two bad devices" will become important for 3DS: long-term preservation.

Reactions: Blauhasenpopo

Vikplays

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello, thanks for the answer.

I've tried ntrboot but nothing happens.
I read the instructions thoroughly several times and tried magnets of different strengths and bought and tested a new SD card but still no picture or any changes.
the screen remains black.
slowly I don't know anymore 😔.

Are there instructions on how I can test a hardware defect or the components?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
First: Check any possible peripheral problems. Verify you can ntrboot on a working 2|3DS. Best would be the same model. It will show you the exact position of the magnet (start normally, place magnet to see if it triggers standby).
Once you are sure the combination of your SD, R4, magnet is suitable for ntrboot on a working device, you can move on to the problematic unit.

On old 3DS models the problem "blue light only, nothing else", can be caused by loose/missing WiFi board. But the WiFi is soldered on the motherboard for N3DSXL.
The blue light only issue can occur in main operating system on N3DSXL in case of bad camera. But this wouldn't stop Luma3DS settings or GodMode9 from booting normally.

I'm out of ideas if ntrboot doesn't work (and all possibilities of failure outside the motherboard are ruled out).

Wildly swapping components with a working console carries high risks and will most likely not solve the problem (to my knowledge). Cheapest solution is probably another motherboard if the rest is fine.
=========

Just for reference: Troubleshooting 3DS hardware on really advanced level and still no result (much text too read, nice pictures at the end)
https://gbatemp.net/threads/repairing-dead-new-3ds-ll.538275/

This should show the difficulty of finding the issue.

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello folks,

I've searched the forum and haven't found any help.

It is all about:

I have a Nintendo New 3Ds Xl that used to run with a CFW. Unfortunately, I can no longer say what it was.

The SD card was removed by my girlfriend and used for her cell phone, so all the data was gone.

Now I wanted to start that. Unfortunately nothing happens.

The blue led stays on and the screens remain black. No matter how long the console is on.

Start with luma boot files on the SD card and start with shoulder buttons D-Pad and bring nothing.

Maybe someone can help me how to get my sweetheart up and running again.

Kind regards

vic
How long ago did you put cfw on it?

Vikplays

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How long ago did you put cfw on it?
It was a few years ago. more than 4 years . i bought it when it was realeased and then half a year later.

Wildly swapping components with a working console carries high risks and will most likely not solve the problem (to my knowledge). Cheapest solution is probably another motherboard if the rest is fine.
I measured the battery.
Is it correct that 4.2 V is applied directly to the battery and not 3.7 V as the battery says
could this be the problem? So an overvoltage?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, DO THE METH!!!