Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonmaster

Ancient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
pantience is a virtue i think in 3 months we will have our first release in public ,what i dream is emulators on main screen and also region remove even a custom firmware may be possible ;)

Reactions: digipokemaster

digipokemaster

Innocent Uke
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so from what i understand we might have hacked the 3ds ?if this is true i hope a card will be made soon but im content for now and thank god i have both my 3ds and 3ds xl

virgildraco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Yellows8 might release the exploit, from what i've been reading here and there he's a big name in the DS scene right?

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
People seem to forget that Yellows8 has the exploit too. It would take a decision for both Neimod and Yellows8 to keep the exploit away from the community. This is very unlikely to happen.

Yes Yellows8 too. I wonder who found the exploit first. Yellows8 was the first to post the picture and provide details. But I thought that exploited game was initially locked into userland. So maybe neimod looked into it and found a way to access the kernel.
[00:06:02] <@yellows8> got code running in arm11 userland/kernel-mode again, and arm9 user/kernel-mode too.(my previous method for arm11 code exec only worked with the gamecard version, this method works with the SD savehax version too)

As these devs have confirmed running it from an unmodified 3DS, this is indeed good news to us as we won't have to go to extreme measures to replicate this.

P

pasc

3DS has plenty of cancelled titles. Which is sad.
so considering that fact... maybe the piracy had some positive effects anyhow ?

Two funny quotes coming from pirates I remember:
- Pirating is environment friendly: less packaging, paperwork, need to print disks, cartridges etc.
- PPL who pirate wouldn't have planned to buy the game either way...

Actually I disagree with the latter as I personally love to buy my games nowadays (actually I must be sick... I plan to buy all of the MMBN, Phoenix Wright games just so I own them lol)

Piracy isn't that interesting anymore as it was... I mostly use it for emulation of old systems.

There aren't to many new games I'm interested in currently anyways.

@tysonrss:

it depends on the point of view

tysonrss

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so considering that fact... maybe the piracy had some positive effects anyhow ?

Two funny quotes coming from pirates I remember:
- Pirating is environment friendly: less packaging, paperwork, need to print disks, cartridges etc.
- PPL who pirate wouldn't have planned to buy the game either way...

Actually I disagree with the latter as I personally love to buy my games nowadays (actually I must be sick... I plan to buy all of the MMBN, Phoenix Wright games just so I own them lol)

Piracy isn't that interesting anymore as it was... I mostly use it for emulation of old systems.

There aren't to many new games I'm interested in currently anyways.
I don't see how piracy can have any positive effects whatsoever.

It's just fun being a pirate.

Arrr!

Gaiaknight

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
and so it begins
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=193583

If piracy gets bad on the 3DS, we will have no choice but to stop supporting the platform with new games. Some say that piracy leads to more game sales, claiming that it enables players to try before they buy. Bullshit. The percentage of people who will spend money on a game that they already got for free is surely very small – especially with so many “free” games already in the market. The line between what should/should not be free is getting very blurry.

from developer Renegade kid

This is the type of stuff i dont want to see happen.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
and so it begins

well i can tell them, dementium 1 was somewhat hyped for having blood and monsters in it. but it wasnt a good game. so 2 didnt sell as many copies.

also, i'm totally fine with homebrew only, as long as it leads to enjoyable gba emulation

tysonrss

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and so it begins

That is such a ridiculous statement, it's laughable if you ask me. They get to cheery pick what it is they want but when it comes to others its a whole different stoey. They want emulators and homebrew and Nintendo made it impossible without hacking yet they want to hack it to do these things, yet when it comes to priracy they're all dead set against bustin their nuts on the platform. What irony. Such hypocrites.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
and so it begins
If someone pirates Minecraft instead of buying it, it means I’ve lost some “potential” revenue. Not actual revenue, as I can never go into debt by people pirating the game too much, but I might’ve made even more if that person had bought the game instead. But what if that person likes that game, talks about it to his or her friends, and then I manage to convince three of them to buy the game? I’d make three actual sales instead of blocking out the potentially missed sale of the original person which never cost me any money in the first case.

Instead of just relying on guilt tripping pirates into buying, or wasting time and money trying to stop them, I can offer online-only services that actually add to the game experience. Online level saving, centralized skins, friends lists and secure name verification for multiplayer. None of these features can be accessed by people with pirated versions of the game, and hopefully they can be features that turn pirates from thieves into potential customers.
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/1121596044/how-piracy-works
From Notch. I don't even like the guy but he talks sense.

gundalf

Trophies
XP
Country
Forget Notch, what he says only makes sense for an Indie, if you are an (even small) Publisher you have to apply an completely different logic.

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
I disagree with a lot of what Notch does and says, but what he says there is good stuff. He, like Valve, CD Projekt and others, understands that building a good repertoire with as many customers as possible goes much further than trying to control them.

Piracy with gaming is an inevitability, someone will eventually find a way. I understand the need to try to combat it, to protect sales, but developers need to be careful with how far they go, lest they risk alienating their legitimate, paying customers. Just look at GFWL and the issues that produces, and Ubisoft's always-on DRM.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The whole "piracy digs into nonexistent revenue" thing I find to be rather bunk.

There's plenty of games I would've bought if it wasn't for piracy. It's the same case for a lot of people. Also the whole "What if I like a pirated game and I convince my friends to buy it?" is pretty bullshit. If I like a pirated game I'll probably just tell my friends to pirate it too.

If you're curious enough to pirate a game you could easily have been curious enough to buy it. And if you played a pirated game and liked it, you still may not bother purchasing a copy of it since you're already done with it. The exception is multiplayer gaming but multiplayer itself can be seen as a form of antipiracy.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
I don't see how piracy can have any positive effects whatsoever.

It's just fun being a pirate.

Arrr!

It has positive effects for the pirate. For the developers... not so much.

Also, piracy only eats a minimal amount of sales. This is a proven fact.

Personally, I only pirate games because frankly, console games are EXPENSIVE, and inconvenient (I'd rather carry one flashcart around than a whole box of legit carts.) Probably the reason why I stopped pirating PC games a while ago. (Steam is awesome)

Music and TV Shows/Movies I have other reasons to pirate besides cost, but that doesn't really matter in this thread.

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country

It's case by case. Different people are going to do different things, have different attitudes, and yours neither proves nor disproves any argument or excuse made so far. People are arguing piracy as a matter of right or wrong, but it has effects more complicated than anyone could hope to even guess at with their vague assumptions about how the video game consumer market handles it. And moreover, as has been stated many times already, the entire discussion is completely irrelevant to the topic! Neimod has stated he doesn't intend to support piracy, and completely regardless of anyone else's opinion, at the end of the day it'll be his and yellows8's that decide what the hack is used for, when/if they release it.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's case by case. Different people are going to do different things, have different attitudes, and yours neither proves nor disproves any argument or excuse made so far. People are arguing piracy as a matter of right or wrong, but it has effects more complicated than anyone could hope to even guess at with their vague assumptions about how the video game consumer market handles it. And moreover, as has been stated many times already, the entire discussion is completely irrelevant to the topic! Neimod has stated he doesn't intend to support piracy, and completely regardless of anyone else's opinion, at the end of the day it'll be his and yellows8's that decide what the hack is used for, when/if they release it.

You're playing a paid commodity without paying for it. I think it's immoral no matter what way you look at it. Whether you care is really the issue.

I wasn't really talking in terms of Neimod or this hack, I just saw the topic of piracy came up and I thought I'd put in my two cents.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
Correct me if I am wrong, a 3DS rom couldn't run without some form of flashcard (i.e. on board electronics to mimic the actual original card? If that statement is true, would it also then be true that running a 3ds rom from the internal SD slot wouldn't be possible.. If all this is true then it seem logical to block piracy by enabling homebrew via SD only ? or am I pissing in the wind here.. kinda thinking out loud I guess...

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Correct me if I am wrong, a 3DS rom couldn't run without some form of flashcard (i.e. on board electronics to mimic the actual original card? If that statement is true, would it also then be true that running a 3ds rom from the internal SD slot wouldn't be possible.. If all this is true then it seem logical to block piracy by enabling homebrew via SD only ? or am I pissing in the wind here.. kinda thinking out loud I guess...
I'm guessing you're unaware of the fact that retail 3DS games have digital download versions as well.
You can play New Super Mario Bros 2 on a game card, or a digital download from the SD card you know.

So hypothetically it may be entirely possible to get any 3DS rom to launch from the 3DS home menu, if it was properly hacked. A flashcard might be totally unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S22+,Google-Pixel-8a/phones/11762,12219...