Hacking Need recommendations on carts

Kresjah

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Ok, so what I want is simply recommendations for a flash cart that can do the things I need it to do. I currently have a SuperCard SD which I'm not happy with (I have a topic open about it clinging to the little hope left to fix the saving issues).

I need a card which supports 128kb saves (Flash1M saves, as used in Pokémon games amongst others), which takes SD cards (any type of SD, like standard SD, mini-SD, etc.), and although not a requirement I'd also strongly prefer one with a real-time clock. It needs to work on the good old GBA (the AGB-001).

Could anyone help me out in finding out which card is best suited for me?

Kresjah

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Umm, as far as I can see, the M3 Lite will only work on an NDS, am I right? Do note that I am going to use this for an old version GBA, NOT an NDS.

EDIT: I mean, I can see that it says GBA games support, but the cartridge design is intended to work with the NDS Lite... wouldn't this possibly mean that it won't fit as it should in the old GBA?

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Kresjah said:
Umm, as far as I can see, the M3 Lite will only work on an NDS, am I right? Do note that I am going to use this for an old version GBA, NOT an NDS.

EDIT: I mean, I can see that it says GBA games support, but the cartridge design is intended to work with the NDS Lite... wouldn't this possibly mean that it won't fit as it should in the old GBA?

If its purely for GBA then go for a PROPER GBA STYLE CARD /DEV KIT such as EZFLASH III 1gbit upto 8gbit supports real time clock for pokemon games and uses a 256 mbit NOR for larger games that decompress larger roms over from the NAND side on the fly
smile.gif

we have 2 of these DEV KITS and cards and they work great still a couple of years later from getting them for the gba sp's and also work in DS LITE/PHAT great too.. altho on the light they stick out a bit as they are normal GBA type cards
smile.gif

their are other GBA cards out there too, which now the gba is pretty much dated/defunct can be picked up pretty damn cheap
smile.gif

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
kobykaan said:
Kresjah said:

If its purely for GBA then go for a PROPER GBA STYLE CARD /DEV KIT such as EZFLASH III 1gbit upto 8gbit supports real time clock for pokemon games and uses a 256 mbit NOR for larger games that decompress larger roms over from the NAND side on the fly
smile.gif

their are other GBA cards out there too, which now the gba is pretty much dated/defunct can be picked up pretty damn cheap
smile.gif

EZIII is good but I find the 1Gbit of space a bit too small. Also, IIRC its expensive. I suggest the EZIII's bigger brother, the EZIV. It used a miniSD card and sits flush in the GBA. It doesn't have RTC but the only game which uses it is Pokemon and that isn't important either. Its lot cheaper than the M3 perfect and provides perfect support too.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Xcalibur said:
EZIII is good but I find the 1Gbit of space a bit too small.

thats why I said 1gbit upto 8gbit as you can get 1gbit 2gbit 4gbit and you can get 8gbit EZ-FLASH III cards
smile.gif

1gbit holds quite a lot of games if you use COMPRESSION when loading them sure it takes a second or so longer to uncompress but its livable
smile.gif

easily fitting 20 games on the NAND size and 1 on the NOR size
smile.gif

shinset

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kresjah said:

M3L works for both NDS (phat or lite) AND GBA too you have many shell to switch with it

NDSL color shell to match your NDSL

GBA shell to fit old phat NDS AND GBA

IMHO its a really good device (got mine for 3 years now) for the price (yes its expensive )

hdofu

Trophies
Website
www.wikitsune.com
XP
Country
United States
Kresjah said:

no, it has a phat shell that normally comes with it too

Kresjah

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Regarding the EZ3; My main reasons for wanting one that uses an SD card is that I travel a lot, and with a decent library of games it is a nightmare having tons of cartridges floating around on the train, not to mention having to switch for each and every game. Even the standard SD cards are small in size, and using a 2GB SD (assuming no SDHC support) can fit A LOT of games in there and take up minimal travelling space.

EZ3 seems to be flash linker based, thus it isn't really what I'm looking for. The EZ4 however doesn't look all that bad. Still trying to dig up more info on it, as I'd like to see some info on actual performance and compatibility on a GBA system (so far, I've found little info on compatibility and nothing other than what is said here about it actually working on a GBA).

As for the M3, it does indeed look to be a good solution, but I'm still a bit confused about which of them will actually work on the GBA. Am I right in believing that I'd need an M3 Lite that does NOT have "Perfect" or "Pro" in it's name in order for it to work on the GBA?

Unfortunately, it seems that the shop I intended to order from (that would be SHOP.01Media.com) has gone out of stock on most of the SD based alternatives that still work with the fat GBA. My main reason for wanting to order from there is that, ordering from Norway gives me minimal wait, minimal postage fees and it is tax free.

When it comes to RTC, it isn't a necessity as the games can be patched... but I do enjoy playing my Pokémon games properly.

So, further info would be most appreciated. Thanks to everyone so far for helping me out!
smile.gif

santorix10

Trophies
Website
rememberthe8bit.googlepages.com
XP
Country
United States
Kresjah said:
Still trying to dig up more info on it, as I'd like to see some info on actual performance and compatibility on a GBA system (so far, I've found little info on compatibility and nothing other than what is said here about it actually working on a GBA).

I own all the GBA models excpet the SP+, and I can say that the EZ-Flash IV is perfectly compatible. Also, I have about 70 games on my 1GByte MiniSD card, all of which work great. (I hear that some games need to have an 8 character length or less of a name, so all my game names are 8 characters or less as a precaution.)

QUOTE(Kresjah @ Jul 19 2008, 03:18 PM) Unfortunately, it seems that the shop I intended to order from (that would be SHOP.01Media.com) has gone out of stock on most of the SD based alternatives that still work with the fat GBA. My main reason for wanting to order from there is that, ordering from Norway gives me minimal wait, minimal postage fees and it is tax free.
I'd use DealExtreme.com, they have free shipping, so all you pay is what the item costs. They have the EZ-Flash IV too.

EDIT: Buy you MiniSD card from NewEgg.com if you need one. I don't know what shipping would be to your country, but I got my card for about USD $11.

P.S. ... AGB-001 FTW!

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kresjah said:
As for the M3, it does indeed look to be a good solution, but I'm still a bit confused about which of them will actually work on the GBA. Am I right in believing that I'd need an M3 Lite that does NOT have "Perfect" or "Pro" in it's name in order for it to work on the GBA?

You want the Perfect, not the Pro. If the site doesn't specify, it's usually a Perfect but you'll want to double check to make sure. There is no third non-Perfect non-Pro variety.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: He's the reason why the banks closed lol.