Need help, xmas present for 6yo son, been out of this scene for 12+ years!

homerjay33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi All,

I'm just looking for a quick question... I've been googling for 15 mins and finding older answers (I know the answer is probably here and I'm just being lazy, I will keep looking, but someone could probably answer in a min). I just thought to myself what was that forum I used to follow HOURLY back in the day with the original Wii, Team Twizzers, HackMii, Wii Brew, etc... Ah I finally remembered, gbatemp! I couldn't even find my login info from like 12+ years ago and had to create a new account.

Anyways, I have really quick question(s). My six year old son is all into gaming now (very beginner), but he only likes to play multiplayer with me (Roblox, Farm Sim). We want to get him a Switch for Xmas. You know where this is going, Daddy is now going to need to purchase a Switch too lol. I'm sure split screen works fine, but I could see us using them outside of home or not near the main TV.

Do I need to purchase a copy of a game for each console, specifically to play multiplayer together? I read a loophole where you can login with one account on one console, then logout, and login with that account on the second console (that I think is a family group account?), then create a 3rd account or something. Does this still work? The thing I read was from 2019, I figured Nintendo would have patched this by now.., and also read that it can't be on the same local network or something. If it does still work, I can research the exact steps, so you don't need to post instructions, just wondering if it still works.

I don't mind paying a subscription, does the Family plan help this at all? I really just don't want to but 2 copies of say the digital version of Mario Kart or Smash Bros every time. Also, if I bought a Lite, but got him the oled, would that matter?

Thanks for any help. I feel like I will be browsing these forums a lot more in my future.
Post automatically merged:

ugh already started going down a rabbit hole I didn't want to lol. Was going to get an oled for him, but now reading soft-modding a switch original and a serial number checker for patched ones. If I bought an original switch today at say Target, what is the probability it's patched?

Last edited by homerjay33,

kidkat210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi All,

I'm just looking for a quick question... I've been googling for 15 mins and finding older answers (I know the answer is probably here and I'm just being lazy, I will keep looking, but someone could probably answer in a min). I just thought to myself what was that forum I used to follow HOURLY back in the day with the original Wii, Team Twizzers, HackMii, Wii Brew, etc... Ah I finally remembered, gbatemp! I couldn't even find my login info from like 12+ years ago and had to create a new account.

Anyways, I have really quick question(s). My six year old son is all into gaming now (very beginner), but he only likes to play multiplayer with me (Roblox, Farm Sim). We want to get him a Switch for Xmas. You know where this is going, Daddy is now going to need to purchase a Switch too lol. I'm sure split screen works fine, but I could see us using them outside of home or not near the main TV.

Do I need to purchase a copy of a game for each console, specifically to play multiplayer together? I read a loophole where you can login with one account on one console, then logout, and login with that account on the second console (that I think is a family group account?), then create a 3rd account or something. Does this still work? The thing I read was from 2019, I figured Nintendo would have patched this by now.., and also read that it can't be on the same local network or something. If it does still work, I can research the exact steps, so you don't need to post instructions, just wondering if it still works.

I don't mind paying a subscription, does the Family plan help this at all? I really just don't want to but 2 copies of say the digital version of Mario Kart or Smash Bros every time. Also, if I bought a Lite, but got him the oled, would that matter?

Thanks for any help. I feel like I will be browsing these forums a lot more in my future.

ugh already started going down a rabbit hole I didn't want to lol. Was going to get an oled for him, but now reading soft-modding a switch original and a serial number checker for patched ones. If I bought an original switch today at say Target, what is the probability it's patched?
if ya bought it today at target, its 100% patched. they stopped making the rcm exploitable v1s back in 2017/2018.

Reactions: binkinator

homerjay33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok thanks guys, bummer. what about the game sharing loophole, did they patch that too? Thanks for the hwfly info Oleboy555. Now that I see it's solderless, I would try with mine if I do get one myself. I ruined one wii back in the day with one, close call on another lol.

Reactions: Oleboy555

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok thanks guys, bummer. what about the game sharing loophole, did they patch that too? Thanks for the hwfly info Oleboy555. Now that I see it's solderless, I would try with mine if I do get one myself. I ruined one wii back in the day with one, close call on another lol.

You can always check, but if you bought it after July 2018 it is probably patched.

https://ismyswitchpatched.com/

HWFLY requires soldering.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's best to have good soldering experience for sure before you do any physical modifications. Besides, my first soldering attempt was on a PlayStation and suffice to say I wasn't good at it, although I have improved a lot over the years.

You can always check, but if you bought it after July 2018 it is probably patched.

https://ismyswitchpatched.com/

HWFLY requires soldering.
Or here as well: https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-...he-first-post-before-asking-questions.481215/

Oleboy555

Trophies
Website
3ds.guide
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is what I could find about the game sharing thing you are mentioning, seems like its still possible, but with some caveats.

Also from what i've read the mod chip chip does require soldering, and is not for beginners. Maybe you could find a temper in your area who is willing to do it.

Last edited by Oleboy555,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsG-jJcrlr0