Need help with DSi Camera audio extraction

AlpacaSundae

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So hello there, I just want to extract the audio directly from the app of the DSi Camera (also stretch goal for DSi Sound).

I have the .nds file from an online source, as well as the contents of 484e4955/ from my dsi but the camera app seems to not have an sdat file? (Unless being a more system app its hidden away somewhere else?). I was thinking if anyone knew where the DSi menu music is located that might help in this, but I have no clue on that piece's location either...

I tried the DSi Shop app in testing things and that worked straight away with VGMTrans and Tinke, but the camera or sound apps don't.

Any help on this is thank.

p.s. I only wanted to do this anyway in an assumption that the camera app's background music is present as a midi, so if anyone knows that it's not pls tell also

AlpacaSundae

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Try opening it with VGMTrans.
nothing changes in the UI of vgmtrans at all when I try that, for either the .nds of the camera app or the arm9i.bin file pulled using tinkeDSi. Is there something in tinkeDSi I needed to do with the arm9i file because it just pulled the file out there was no indication of decryption or anything.

just because I have it downloaded I tried the DSi srl extractor on the file as well and nothing happened.

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
For some reason the whole thing can't be retrieved from the arm9i binary, maybe it's not being completely decrypted? Or it's somewhere else entirely? I don't know

But, I do know it can be found using a RAM dump just fine. From there you can manually isolate the SDAT file (info on finding its exact byte size here) using a hex editor. Dragging the RAM dump into VGMTrans works too, but VGMTrans isn't exactly the best at playing the audio, so

If you're manually isolating it, make sure you're selecting the SDAT in the dump with the SYMB block shortly after it, not the other one that's in memory

You can get a RAM dump using no$gba, or nds-bootstrap (the latter being easier, especially if you don't already have no$gba setup).

I was thinking if anyone knew where the DSi menu music is located that might help in this, but I have no clue on that piece's location either...
The DSi Menu music is in its arm9 binary (not arm9i)

Last edited by banjo2,
Reactions: AlpacaSundae

AlpacaSundae

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
oke ty so much for the helps ^-^ I finally got it!

The memory dump using no$gba ended up working. It took me a while because I only had no$gba by accident when trying to download dsi firmware files earlier, but it was the gaming one, not the debugging one.

Reactions: banjo2

RVL101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anybody know how to ram dump using MelonDS? I'm trying to rip the music from the dsi camera.

LandonAndEmma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anybody know how to ram dump using MelonDS? I'm trying to rip the music from the dsi camera.
RAM dumping with MelonDS is impossible, theres not way to do that, they don't have it there, you need to use desmume or twilightmenu++
Post automatically merged:

For some reason the whole thing can't be retrieved from the arm9i binary, maybe it's not being completely decrypted? Or it's somewhere else entirely? I don't know

But, I do know it can be found using a RAM dump just fine. From there you can manually isolate the SDAT file (info on finding its exact byte size here) using a hex editor. Dragging the RAM dump into VGMTrans works too, but VGMTrans isn't exactly the best at playing the audio, so

If you're manually isolating it, make sure you're selecting the SDAT in the dump with the SYMB block shortly after it, not the other one that's in memory

You can get a RAM dump using no$gba, or nds-bootstrap (the latter being easier, especially if you don't already have no$gba setup).

The DSi Menu music is in its arm9 binary (not arm9i)
I have the byte size opened in the hex editor HxD but how do I convert it to hex location so that I can trim the rest?

Last edited by LandonAndEmma,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntjkwIXWtrc&ab_channel=Apple I feel uncomfortable from watching...