• Start date
  • Views 8,266
  • Replies 77

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, English isn't my native language and just learn it a while. I mean they said new 3ds with stucked 2.1 only can be updated to 4.x, not 6.x or up.

Look, I cant remember the details because I did the research long ago, but 4.x for n3ds is bad news!!! Pokemon y update, you can launch other exploits and it worked for me!

So your option is; hardmod or pokemon y update but there is a risk of brick with y update as well, but, at least on Y update there are other exploits you can try from there.

Last edited by democracy,

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah, but I am extremely clumbsy. Mostly because I am flashing an old 3ds firmware on a new 3ds.
I am scared of breaking my N3DS myself and all that safety stuff (that software is ~70% safety, ~30% functionality) in OTPHelper is in part so that I don't mess up doing this. Not doing it for safety reasons is a valid decision, but don't overestimate the danger. As it is now, OTPHelper will detect basically everything that can go wrong and stop you from continuing. The only undetectable thing right now is if Wifi is on or not (see here).

In fact, the only bricks that I've seen for weeks come from people who forgot about the Wifi (see, f.e. this thread). And you can of course decide to go fully against Plailects guide and ignore all warning, in which case you could also manage to brick.

Last edited by d0k3,
Reactions: OctopusRift
D

Deleted User

OP
I am scared of breaking my N3DS myself and all that safety stuff (that software is ~70% safety, ~30% functionality) in OTPHelper is in part so that I don't mess up doing this. Not doing it for safety reasons is a valid decision, but don't overestimate the danger. As it is now, OTPHelper will detect basically everything that can go wrong and stop you from continuing. The only undetectable thing right now is if Wifi is on or not (see here).

In fact, the only bricks that I've seen for weeks come from people who forgot about the Wifi (see, f.e. this thread). And you can of course decide to go fully against Plailects guide and ignore all warning, in which case you could also manage to brick.
Thanks @d0k3 for adding new feature to remind N3DS users for turning WiFi only. This will prevent more bricked N3DS :D.

I heard somewhere that taking out the battery for a while resets the clock and WiFi? Try that
Nice suggestion. Will try this if this happen again (please not again).

Recap (according to some suggestions):
1. Don't update with game cart with 4.x firmware update. (Mine bricked because Luigi Mansion 4.5)
2. Otherwise, use 6.x instead. Only Pokemon X and Y will work.(Tested by @democracy with Pokemon Y 6.1)
3. Booting into safe mode may ask you to enable the wireless (via software). But don't update there! (Thanks to @SomeGamer)
3. Take out the battery then put it again. This will reset clock and WiFI. (Thanks to @Luke Gainsford)

Last edited by ,
Reactions: democracy

pkmz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did mine with Luigi mansion legit cart when a9hl first released and had no issues. Once i got to 4.5 ran browserhax to rewrite my sysnand backup.

cultopi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People who got into this problem usually have menuhax/themehax installed. I have a suggestion to the plailect guide for getting the OPT on N3DS to avoid this completely. Change the guide to use only browserhax instead of "hax of your choice." This way wifi is forced to be on all the time.

Plailect

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks @d0k3 for adding new feature to remind N3DS users for turning WiFi only. This will prevent more bricked N3DS :D.

Nice suggestion. Will try this if this happen again (please not again).

Recap (according to some suggestions):
1. Don't update with game cart with 4.x firmware update. (Mine bricked because Luigi Mansion 4.5)
2. Otherwise, use 6.x instead. Only Pokemon X and Y will work.(Tested by @democracy with Pokemon Y 6.1)
3. Booting into safe mode may ask you to enable the wireless (via software). But don't update there! (Thanks to @SomeGamer)
3. Take out the battery then put it again. This will reset clock and WiFI. (Thanks to @Luke Gainsford)

A 4.X update in general most certainly does not brick, you may have just gotten unlucky or some 4.X versions may not work, but that will need more testing.

As for the other suggestions, I could use some confirmation on those as well.

weks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well you can try removing battery and wait 15 minutes then put it back. and see if the wireless is enabled.

I have exactly same issue as yours and removing and inserting battery seems to work on my 3DS.

D

Deleted User

OP
I did mine with Luigi mansion legit cart when a9hl first released and had no issues. Once i got to 4.5 ran browserhax to rewrite my sysnand backup.
Isn't that browserhax is only available for 9.x or up?

People who got into this problem usually have menuhax/themehax installed. I have a suggestion to the plailect guide for getting the OPT on N3DS to avoid this completely. Change the guide to use only browserhax instead of "hax of your choice." This way wifi is forced to be on all the time.
Ninjhax is my entrypoint. And since the one that got downgraded is EmuNAND then move it to SysNAND, seems like menuhax as SysNAND entrypoint don't affect this CMIIW.

A 4.X update in general most certainly does not brick, you may have just gotten unlucky or some 4.X versions may not work, but that will need more testing.

As for the other suggestions, I could use some confirmation on those as well.
Thanks. Keep gather more informations.

well you can try removing battery and wait 15 minutes then put it back. and see if the wireless is enabled.

I have exactly same issue as yours and removing and inserting battery seems to work on my 3DS.
New 3DS? or Old 3DS?

I got the new problem now. Sent it to modder and he said the nand can't be detected. Other consoles can be detected. Gonna open a new thread soon.

This is the thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/n3ds-xl-nand-not-detected.423614/

Last edited by ,

cavolo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The nand detection is boring, I've tried 30min of plug-in/out, reboot console, ... after many tries, my computer see my nand. For a friend, it was detected in the first try, I've retried mine and... nope, again, difficulties to detect.

weks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't that browserhax is only available for 9.x or up?

Ninjhax is my entrypoint. And since the one that got downgraded is EmuNAND then move it to SysNAND, seems like menuhax as SysNAND entrypoint don't affect this CMIIW.

Thanks. Keep gather more informations.

New 3DS? or Old 3DS?

I got the new problem now. Sent it to modder and he said the nand can't be detected. Other consoles can be detected. Gonna open a new thread soon.

This is the thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/n3ds-xl-nand-not-detected.423614/

Mine new 3DS = no wireless switch.

Zanoab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I think it would be easier to have OTPHelper make sure internet is enabled and working before starting "One Click Setup".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol 5GB for one episode
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Lol I can watch it free
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, from the shows website?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They should've just made it a movie at 50 minutes
    +1
    No from Paramount Plus or whatever it is
    +1
    Psi now has access to every streaming and cable channel out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Eh I'd rather just download and delete is it already up on paramount?
    Yeah it's on now
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why are most new south park episodes half hour specials?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Psionic Roshambo, let me get a Netflix account I've always been nice to you
    +1
    I made a honey pepper glazed turkey breast for dinner turned out pretty bomb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We can Netflix and chill
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Nvm not half hour, but hour long
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Normal south park episodes are already half hour
    Got 2 free Xumo boxes they work pretty good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm happy to get anything most series don't make it pass 6 seasons
    Except Stars and Encore those are being a bitch lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I may consider that onn pro box finally a media box with type A ;O
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, cuz the companies don't want em to
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No it's revenue and demand south park could argue has a bigger audience than family guy about the same
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Family guy is worth 300mill south parks worth 1Bill according to the interwebs
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, probably cuz family guy is more disliked compared to south park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It just does the same formula south park can press buttons without going overboard
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And bc most of the family guy budget is spent on the voice actors rather than on the animation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Southpark could spend 30k on a animated dick and people would laugh at it
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Southpark could spend 30k on a animated dick and people would laugh at it +1