Need help finding a proper firmware for this strange R4 I bought recently

terebee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
hello, I got this R4 (ADVANCE WIFI 3DS R4 V1.6) today and tried some youtube videos at first formated my sd card both with sd card formatted and windows, and tried a lot of lots of kernels to see if the R4 will work or not but it's just a white screen and sadly that's all I got when I try to use it. then I tried waybackmachine (Because its website is dead )) and was able to download the proper (as the website said) kernel in it, but unfortunately, it did not work as well and any kernel that I test will show me a white screen in the startup. any help would be really appreciated thanks a lot!

1658674939932.jpeg

notes: the white screen that I get is just like the one in this video the only difference is that for me it happens on my 3DS

Last edited by terebee,

terebee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
SD Formatter will format as exFAT if the card is larger than 32 GB, DS flashcarts don't support this. If you use a larger card you need to use guiformat, EASEUS or Minitool Partition Wizard in order to format as FAT32.
hello and thanks for the information, my card is 32 GB and if I'm not wrong, the computer sets its default on FAT32

terebee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
But did you follow the instructions? Your screenshot suggests you did not.
Oh, I guess that's maybe because I copied R4SDHC files instead of R4i-SDHC because at the time I was trying all the kernels possible, but today I mostly tried all of the versions of Card's site, and after what you said I tried doing that (the YSMenu) again in two ways. are these right? (sadly none of these worked as well)
Capture.JPG

1658743178838.png

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That no kernel works, is .......
The last idea that i have is that the firmware on the Card needs a specific firmware on the 3ds to run.

So i searched and this what i found. The R4i-Advance is a NDSTTi Clone Card and seems to be from 2011/12. The firmware v1.6 of the Card supports DSi 1.43/1.44 and 3DS V4.1.0-8. Very low firmware. We dont know wich is installed and wich 3DS firmware is supported.
Source: https://www.prlog.org/11920169-r4i-advance-revolution-v16-for-dsi3ds.html

R4i Advance Revolution V1.6 For DSi/3DS​

This R4i Advance V1.6 3DS/DSi 1.43/DSi 1.44 is compatible for all NDS.www.r4i-advance.com perfect running on the 3DS console. Backward compatibility NDSI NDS/NDSL/NDSILL/NDSIXL / 3DS console. Strong technical team, support all DS games

Spread the Word:

July 10, 2012
- PRLog -- Buy R4i Advance Revolution V1.6 For DSi/3DS

News:

R4i Advance V1.6 Revolution Support Nintendo 3DS/DSi 1.43/DSi 1.44 Card/3DS V4.1.0-8 (J,E,U) Perfectly

This R4i Advance V1.6 3DS/DSi 1.43/DSi 1.44 is compatible for all NDS.www.r4i-advance.com perfect running on the 3DS console. Backward compatibility NDSI NDS/NDSL/NDSILL/NDSIXL / 3DS console. Strong technical team, support all DS games (brand trustworthy).

$5.99 Buy the R4i Advance Revolution V1.6 For DSi/3DS
# http://www.gamecardsource.com/r4i-advance-revolution-v16-for-dsi3ds_p1042.html

R4i-Advance V1.6 Revolution for DS (NDSIXL/NDSILL/NDSI/NDSL/NDS)

R4i-advanceis a SLOT-1 flash card designed for Nintendo DS/DS Lite/DSi handheld consoles. As the successor of the famous R4i-advance flash card, it now supports the new DSi console, can use SDHC storage card, and have even better compatibility than R4i-advance with NDS ROMs and homebrews.
Fits right into the SLOT-1 like an original NDS game card, it's a very convenient tool for any NDS series owner that want to explore the full potential of their handheld console.R4i-advance is a flash card for NDS series consoles (R4i-advance supports,DSi,DSiLL,DSiLX).
R4i-advance is an upgrade version of R4i-advance. It supports SDHC, has multi-media features, and can run that most games and homebrews. It is a equipment that have to been owned for the global NDS series player.

R4i-advance_03.jpg
The Functionality of Advance:

Support SDHC memory cards ( compatibility up to 32GB) ;
Change language of menu as you want without any limit;
As same size and thickness as original card;
No need to flash. Build-in launch Slot-2 (gba) function;
Support DMA read and no lag when using any microSD card;
Support FAT16 and FAT32. Can transfer files with PC, PDA, Cellphone and Camera;
Support clean rom and drag-drop to play. Fast loading;
Support NDS and iDS games. Run iDS games on any version of DS;
Write save files to TF card directly and no need manual backup or restore them;
Auto save type detection and no need to update save type list database;
Support moonshell and home brew;
Power saving design. Enter optimization mode automatically;
Double screen UI. Support display thumbnails of games;
Easy to use and setting ;
Support button and touch operation both;
Support Wi-Fi and rumble package and browser expansion;
Support change back ground picture of menu;
Support change font color of menu;
Support brightness adjust (DS Lite only);
Support soft-reset;
Support AR cheat code;
Support soft-reset of moonshell 2.0 (back to main menu of R4i-advance) ;
Support DLDI auto-patching;
Support Download play;back to R4i DS List

- U can try using TWLmenu++ on the Card. Your Card seems to be supported https://wiki.ds-homebrew.com/twilightmenu/installing-flashcard

- Else, i dont know atm if its possible to create a emunand on the 3ds and downgrading it to a specific low firmware. Then trying if the card runs.

- The other possibility would be flashing a firmware with ntr-flasher, if possible and supported to the Card to meet the actual firmware of the DSi/3DS. There may somewhere wich available (v4.3 from 2019) also some modified and for use with YS-Menu. (There is also a bootlader listed to whitelist your cart)
https://www.thetechgame.com/Downloads/cid=176/sort=desc-title/start=320.html
Or identify other similar Clonecards (based on NDSTTi Card ) to get latest version for latest 3DS firm that works.
https://www.r43ds.org/pages/r4-3ds-firmware.html

- Just for clearens:
Kernel is the menu which allows more game capabilty (if timebombed it needs regulary updated)
Firmware allows updates on the console to be bypassed

How much i like to solve the Problem. Iam not sure atm, without investing more time for a clear solution.
My Advice. You can try more to get it run or get a (nearly) actual Card without messing longer with it around for 20€/USD.
And if its because u want to run DS Games or Emulators. Get easy way and use nds-bootstrap with Twightlight++ and Retroarch for Emulators.

Last edited by Sypherone,
Reactions: terebee

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You can try running TWLmenu++ on the flashcard if supported.
Tutorial: https://wiki.ds-homebrew.com/twilightmenu/installing-flashcard
Best only follow the first part " Installation" and try if TWLmenu starts. Then try if u can start a DS game. If only a white screen appears, change in TWL settings (press select, go to the bottom) to nds_bootsrap" to yes and retry (instead using firmware).

I tryed my own and it works, check here R4i test with TWLmenu++

Last edited by Sypherone,

terebee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
If you have Luma3DS & GodMode9, and you see fbi on your home menu then it is.
Hi, Oh yes, at the time apparently I had luma3DS and the FBI logo could be seen on the menu, I even updated it yesterday it was version 9 before getting updated but I think the older version (9) probably doesn't have anything to do with the R4 problem right? because the R4 is pretty old as well and I tested older updates of the firmware as well.

Last edited by terebee,

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yes, at the time apparently I had luma3DS and the FBI logo could be seen on the menu, I even updated it yesterday it was version 9 before getting updated but I think the older version (9)
You updated the firmware of the 3ds, or did you update Luma3DS and FBI? If the former, you have to update Luma3DS too otherwise the system will not boot to the home menu..
probably doesn't have anything to do with the R4 problem right? because the R4 is pretty old as well and I tested older updates of the firmware as well.
Nope.

Reactions: terebee

terebee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
That no kernel works, is .......
The last idea that i have is that the firmware on the Card needs a specific firmware on the 3ds to run.

So i searched and this what i found. The R4i-Advance is a NDSTTi Clone Card and seems to be from 2011/12. The firmware v1.6 of the Card supports DSi 1.43/1.44 and 3DS V4.1.0-8. Very low firmware. Source
https://www.prlog.org/11920169-r4i-advance-revolution-v16-for-dsi3ds.html
We dont know wich is installed and wich 3DS firmware is supported.

- U can try using TWLoader/TWILight Menu to run the Card through it or loading the games from it.

Your Card seems to be supported https://wiki.ds-homebrew.com/twilightmenu/installing-flashcard

- Else, i dont know atm if its possible to create a emunand on the 3ds and downgrading it to a specific low firmware. Then trying if the card runs.

- The other possibility would be flashing a firmware with ntr-flasher, if possible and supported to the Card to meet the actual firmware of the DSi/3DS. There may somewhere wich available (v4.3 from 2019) also some modified and for use with YS-Menu. (There is also a bootlader listed to whitelist your cart)
https://www.thetechgame.com/Downloads/cid=176/sort=desc-title/start=320.html
Or identify other similar Clonecards (based on NDSTTi Card ) to get latest version for latest 3DS firm that works.
https://www.r43ds.org/pages/r4-3ds-firmware.html

- Just for clearens:
Kernel is the menu which allows more game capabilty (if timebombed it needs regulary updated)
Firmware allows updates on the console to be bypassed

How much i like to solve the Problem. Iam not sure atm, without investing more time for a clear solution.
My Advice. You can try more to get it run or get a (nearly) actual Card without messing longer with it around for 20€/USD.
And if its because u want to run DS Games or Emulators. Get easy way and use nds-bootstrap with Twightlight++ and Retroarch for Emulators.

Hello Sypherone and thanks a lot for putting so much time and trying to help, I will try TWlLight Menu and see if it works or not, and about changing or downgrading the firmware I'm somehow new to these stuff and don't know if I can do that and deal with it or not (tho it might be an easy thing still with the information you gave me I'm a bit confused with what the Firmware Exactly means) and I totaly agree with you about just buying a good flash card isnted of dealing with this one but right now because of the situation here I'm afraid I can't find any other and about the emulators i'n not sure if I'm right or not, but before buying this R4 I tried running DS games on 3DS with emulators but I don't know why it took a little to long to open the games and games seemed to run really heavily at the time I thought it's probably because of the capablity of the system but now that you mentioned it were i wrong and did it wrong that the problem with games running to heavy happend or is it just natural on the emulators ?
You can try running TWLmenu++ on the flashcard if supported.
Tutorial: https://wiki.ds-homebrew.com/twilightmenu/installing-flashcard

I tryed my own and it works, check here R4i test with TWLmenu++
I think it would be the last option, I will try doing that and check it out and see if it works or not. again thanks for the help I really appreciate it, at least now I feel more comfortable that most of the ways are tried and then gave it up. and thanks to everyone else who helped as well 🙏

terebee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
This is unclear. The only way to run DS games on a 3DS is with TWiLight Menu, which isn't technically an "emulator" at all – it's running in the native DS mode.

Which specific games were causing you problems?
it's been some months I think, I used this video. if I'm not wrong I tried playing Fighting Fantasy: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain as the first game.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
it's been some months I think, I used this video.
It says TWiLight Menu right there in the description. I am not sitting through seven minutes of that to figure out what might or might not be wrong, which is one of many reasons not to use video guides.

if I'm not wrong I tried playing Fighting Fantasy: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain as the first game.
Well, that's in the compatibility list as having no problems.

terebee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
hello everyone, I tried installing TWiLight Menu++ on the flashcard and as expected it didn't work, so I just gave up on this flashcard and will move on. I tried installing TWiLight Menu++ on my 3DS tho and it's working fine thankfully. so yes in the end difinitly wouldn't suggest this flashcard to anyone Unless there is a way for it to work on the internet, or if you personally know how to get it to work. thanks to everyone for your kind help.

Reactions: Sypherone

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
hello everyone, I tried installing TWiLight Menu++ on the flashcard and as expected it didn't work, so I just gave up on this flashcard and will move on. I tried installing TWiLight Menu++ on my 3DS tho and it's working fine thankfully. so yes in the end difinitly wouldn't suggest this flashcard to anyone Unless there is a way for it to work on the internet, or if you personally know how to get it to work. thanks to everyone for your kind help.
It doesn't run on the flashcart, it runs from a DSi/3DS internal SD card and can interface with the flashcart and load games from it but it can also load from the internal SD directly, flashcart not needed.
It runs in DSi mode, so it's not designed to run directly from a flashcart.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Reactions: The Real Jdbye

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users