N64 flashcart?

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There was never a flashcart for the N64 , but there was a few "backup units" like the cd64 that allowed you to play n64 roms off of a cd-r. They were expensive back then ($200) and are very hard to find now unless somebody happens to be selling one.

http://n64.icequake.net/ has lots of information about them.

It would be great if they made a modern ds like flashcart that took memory cards, but this is never going to happen because there isn't that much demand compared to the modern consoles.

edit: yeah, I know neoflash announced they were making one, but that was a lame hoax.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
There won't ever be a N64 flashcart. Neoflash started on one but gave up after giving out a load of crap about getting it working. It's possible but it would be like the way it was for the DS and the Magicoms in the beginning. You'll still need an original cart with the same save type and because of the N64s boot IC you'll need an original cart with the same boot IC as the game you'd be trying to play. I think you need a total of around 6 or 8 different original carts in your collection and some of them are rare these days.

Neoflash kept promising that you wouldn't need an original cart to go with it for either saves or boot and to be honest with you I think that's why Dr Neo (or whatever he's called) gave up in the end. He couldn't actually deliver on the no partner cart promise. He should still release it in a partner cart format as I'm pretty sure it would still sell amazingly. A N64 flashcart would be very nice.

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Both Z64s and V64s have BIOSes for them that allow IDE drives in place of their ZIP and CD Drives. People have used CompactFlash / IDE adapters on the Z64. Does this count? It's probably as close as you'll get to a true N64 flash drive.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was under the impression that the universal boot loader made it so that you can only needed one cart for an IC, and then it handled the rest... granted, never having a backup loader, I'm only going on my understanding of what I've read. The save issues would still be needed to be worked around, but presumably onboard memory could take care of it, patching, etc.

The point still is of course, that it's never going to happen regardless.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the problem with these things is demand... it takes a lot of development to get a flash cart as polished as the R4 et al

I would imagine some of the chips used in the N64 cartridge could be EOLed by now too. which would increase costs.

paul3100

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
it takes a lot of development to get a flash cart as polished as the R4 et al

R4... please! you meant to say:

QUOTEit takes a lot of development to get a flash cart as polished as the Cyclods or SCS1

But yes i would love to see flash carts come out for all the popular consoles such as the sms/genesis/64 and so on, though there is a way to make them for the sms & genesis and there is instructions online.

paul

WarmWoollySheep

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I loved my z64. My friends would come over and drool, then we'd play Mario Party or Mario Kart, 6+ months before it was released in the USA
tongue.gif

188.jpg

It's still in my basement, are they worth anything these days?

Bitbyte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Yeah, over 150 euro. So, well over 200 bucks. I traded an iPod nano for my N64 with about 60 games on like 14 or so ZiP drives and a Z64. I've yet to really play it though >_>.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
mysticwaterfall said:
I was under the impression that the universal boot loader made it so that you can only needed one cart for an IC, and then it handled the rest... granted, never having a backup loader, I'm only going on my understanding of what I've read. The save issues would still be needed to be worked around, but presumably onboard memory could take care of it, patching, etc.

The point still is of course, that it's never going to happen regardless.

Sorry, completely forgot to reply. The boot emulator works but not on all carts. If I remember right some of them used encrypted boot chips (DK64, Perfect Dark and some others I think) and the encryption was never broken properly. There's cracked versions of the games but it's hard to find anything except clean dumps these days. I could be remembering completely wrong, I'll have to try and dig up some info.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Nighty night