Not open for further replies.

Perseid

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The "Apple Tax" you seem to try to explain away is very real. Yes, Mac laptops have nice little features others may not have. A nice Windows-based laptop will also have nice little features that others may not have. Apple doesn't own every innovation, not by a longshot. It's not just the computers, either. My stepbrother bought a 20GB iPod and I bought a 20GB Creative Nomad Zen. Mine was about half the price, did everything the iPod did and, still works 7-8 years later on the original battery, whereas my brother has gone through at least 3 iThings in the same timespan.

My big gripe, though, is with Apple as a company. They are an incredibly egotistical, manipulative organization, especially with the iPhone. They take a perfectly good piece of hardware and lock it down to the point of monopoly - you can only download apps from their store, you can't use Flash, you can't even MAKE apps unless you use their specific languages. They'll tell you this is to increase stability. They'll tell you they took away Flash because it's old and busted. They really did it so that it's much harder to make an app that works on both iOS and other phones so that smaller developers who can't afford to make the app twice will go Apple-only. Why someone would buy an iPhone when Android exists just blows my mind.

It's OK to like Apple, I don't care. But to call people who don't 'haters' is just dumb. There are good reasons to dislike Apple and their products.

EDIT: Also, the Mac wasn't the first "luggable" computer.
smile.gif
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SX-64

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You all seem to bag on Apple because you hate it, only to back off and say you don't. I really do not understand why you would hate a company just for making products and pricing them however you want. It's like wanting to smack the deli owner because his soda is five dollars a can. Seriously, grow up.

True, fanboys, in the negative connotation and the Mac Ads annoy the fuck out of me, but I can't help but notice all of the other companies, or the "anti-fanboys." Please, by all means, flame the zealots, but why hate the company? It's just another company trying to get your dough. What other company doesn't? What other company does whatever it does, not to make money? None. If they do, they would not be a company for long. If you don't want to spend the money or get the product, fine! Don't! Why would you hate the creator? It's not doing the world any harm at all. It's not stealing your money. It would make sense if iPods exploded or made a coast black, but fuck, why do you hate a company for being a company? I don't hate any companies that just sell things. Fine, I may not buy that $2000 Gucci bag, as it costs about $20 to produce, but holy fuck I don't hate Gucci for selling the product for a profit to a buyer willing to part with their wallet. Seriously. If you think Apple is evil for selling things priced higher than they are usually sold for, you have some serious issues. If Apple raped your sister or left piles of crap streaming in the water and killing shitloads of animals, you can hate. And I'll join you.

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
Here are my few thoughts on Apple. First off, their customer service is pretty phenomenal (or at least they were to me the one time I had to utilize them). What happened was I needed my iPod battery replaced, so I submitted an RMA under the original warranty, free of charge (even prepaid shipping). The foam-lined, prepaid box came and I put in my iPod, retaped the box, ripped off the old shipping label to reveal the return label already attached and put it back out the next day for delivery. Now, living in a small town with a very neighborly feel to it, when the delivery guy came to pick up the box the next day he struck up a conversation with my mom during the course of which he said something along the lines of "Hey didn't I just drop this off yesterday?" and my mom replied that I was sending in my iPod for repair. A few weeks went by and no word from Apple on the status of my RMA (checking online listed the status as not received), so I called Apple and they told me that they had not received the iPod. I then called DHL for tracking information on my package, and they told me that my tracking number was invalid (it wasn't). After a month of calling back and forth between DHL and Apple, with each telling me it wasn't their problem, I finally had a breakthrough with DHL. Apparently DHL doesn't deliver in my area, so they contract deliveries and pickups to OrCa. The reason my tracking number was invalid was because OrCa never delivered the package to the DHL central delivery station. OrCa had listed the package as delivered, but DHL never received it. So basically, big red flag, it's DHL/OrCa's fault. But no, the package was not insured, sorry kid, you're S.O.L. (I had saved an entire summer in middle school to buy it). I called Apple back as a last-ditch attempt at getting something out of this, and after telling them the whole story, I was told that because I had confirmation of pickup, they would still send me a refurbished iPod exactly like they had received mine, even though they hadn't. Apple replaced my missing (probably stolen) iPod, even though it was absolutely not their fault. So kudos to them for that. I'd love to hear a story like that about someone losing their Zune...

Now for the reasons I DON'T like Apple.

1. They incorporate an unprecedented level of DRM into every one of their products. You can not develop an app for the iPhone/iPad without THEIR sdk, and you can't sell it anywhere but in THEIR app store. Speaking of the Apple Tax, how about their tax on releasing software for their platform? Why should I have to pay Apple for my work? Their monopoly on software releases means that a)I have to pay them to sell my software and b)they can censor/refuse to sell my software FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER and I have NO RECOURSE WHATSOEVER.

2. The price. It's been discussed already, I'm not going to do it here, but the fact is, Macs are NOT worth the pricetag. The prices are artificially inflated by Apple's monopoly over their entire system.

3. There are far better alternatives out there. Here I am specifically referring to dedicated devices, and not computers/laptops. Android > iPhone. Period. Any advantages the iPhone software may have over Android phones currently is offset by Android's open platform, as well as Apple's staunch refusal to admit their own mistakes (iPhone 4 grip-of-death, anyone?).

4. I am not about to let a manufacturer tell me what I can and can't do with my machine. I built both of my computers from the ground up and I use Linux with Windows 7 dual booting. For all of it's eye candy, OSX has nothing on Compiz Fusion.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blech, Apple products have always put a bad taste in my mouth, The Apple company themselves just annoy the hell out of me.

1. Too expensive. Even if I do have money to spend, I'm not giving it to a greedy company who just want to empty your bank account.

2. People brag about their Apple devices but then throw a fit when something goes wrong. Were they not expecting for that to happen? It happens with EVERY device, Apple and fans can brag all they want, nothing is flawless. Especially pieces of high priced crap.

3. Why would I spend money on something I'd most likely purposely destroy?

4. My phone does everything I want it to do and more. I wanted a motion-sensored touchscreen and I have it, guess what, it isn't made by Apple.

5. I rather not have a device that quickly overheats then blows up in my face.
That's what people with bad tempers are for
happy.gif

6. I LOVE my Windows 7, I don't need an iFrisbee or a Mac.

This is really just turning into a bad thread, I hope it gets locked soon.

Kentoss

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
BakuFunn said:
[...] but why hate the company? It's just another company trying to get your dough. What other company doesn't? What other company does whatever it does, not to make money? [...]

Hypothetical situation: Say you were selling lemonade outside your house for 25 cents a glass. Then Jimmy from across the street comes out and sets up a lemonade stand and sets his price to 50 cents a glass. Then I come along, thirsty under the beaming summer sun, and happen upon your tiny investments, overjoyed that I have something to quench my thirst. I look at Jimmy's lemonade stand, all sleek and aluminum and surrounded by soft-glowing lights. I note the price of 50 cents before turning my attention to your stand. It also looks pretty cool; made from glass so I can see you're not hiding anything. That's when I notice your price is half of Jimmy's store's price. Naturally, I start walking towards your stand because I'll be damned if I'm going to pay 50 cents for a cup of friggin' lemonade when there's a 25 cent stand just across from it.

Before I reach your stand, Jimmy yells out, "Hey, mister, I don't pee in my lemonade as a filler. That's why it's 25 cents more!" So, disgusted by the thought of you relieving yourself in a pitcher of lemonade to fill it up more, I walk over to Jimmy's stand and purchase his lemonade for 50 cents. Jimmy notices this tactic works great, and continues to use it every time someone starts walking towards your stand. You decide to try and fight fire with fire by hiring Jerry Seinfeld to stand beside your stand and talk about cake and help you try on shoes, but this just confuses and scares your customers, who wonder why someone like Jerry Seinfeld is helping you advertise your product by talking about cake and helping you try on shoes. So you get rid of Jerry and continue taking this crap Jimmy is spouting about you.

Would you be upset? Do you think what Jimmy is doing is childish and despicable?

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You sir, pierced the apple in top of his mac.

You're the next William Tell. xD

That is also my reason the dislike apple. Jobs claimed mac as his own, while Gates said it was the developers that made windows 98 happen. Jobs, and his marketing team are all a bunch of sleezy businessmen.

Overman1977

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Apple is a corporation predominately supported by neophiles.

Those people that line up for hours and sometimes days to get their hands on something new (just because it's new). Apple would die if it wasn't for gimmicktry.

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
After actually reading the OP's post I now have something to contribute.

Apple didn't create the first GUI. Apple didn't make the first multiutouch input device.

I'll update this after I've read more posts.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
juggernaut911 said:
After actually reading the OP's post I now have something to contribute.

Apple didn't create the first GUI. Apple didn't make the first multiutouch input device.

I'll update this after I've read more posts.
None of the people that make electronics have innovated. The people that do invent, are forgotten. The exploiters are the ones that are remembered.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TL:DR

What I assume it was:

*fanboyism* *fanboyism* *fanboyism*
*preach* *preach* *preach*
*misplaced fact* *false fact* *bullshit statisics*
THIS IS WHY YOUR WRONG
*rant* rant* *rant*
THIS IS WHY I'M RIGHT
*generalizations* *trolling* *personal likes*
*preach* *preach* *preach*
*fanboyism* *fanboyism* *fanboyism*​

In Total:

15% Truth
65% False
20% Shit that didn't belong

This, however, is only my assumption.

Can someone verify this? I refuse to read such a long entry on such a bullshit topic.

Sterl500 said:
None of the people that make electronics have innovated. The people that do invent, are forgotten. The exploiters are the ones that are remembered.
Thomas Edison.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sterl500 said:
That is also my reason the dislike apple. Jobs claimed mac as his own, while Gates said it was the developers that made windows 98 happen. Jobs, and his marketing team are all a bunch of sleezy businessmen.
Are you fucking kidding me? Don't get me wrong, personally, Gates is a very conscientious guy and contributes relevant portions of his fortune to those in need. That being said, he was notoriously one of the most cut-throat businessmen in the industry throughout his history with the company. Time and time again he screwed over partners and leveraged his PC monopoly to try and put his competition out of business (generally succeeding unless the government steps in).

In addition, he's also had a smaller role in development of Microsoft's products post-1980s, whereas Jobs has taken an active role on almost every product Apple has produced (obviously excluding the time he was gone).

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Kentoss said:
BakuFunn said:
[...] but why hate the company? It's just another company trying to get your dough. What other company doesn't? What other company does whatever it does, not to make money? [...]

Hypothetical situation: Say you were selling lemonade outside your house for 25 cents a glass. Then Jimmy from across the street comes out and sets up a lemonade stand and sets his price to 50 cents a glass. Then I come along, thirsty under the beaming summer sun, and happen upon your tiny investments, overjoyed that I have something to quench my thirst. I look at Jimmy's lemonade stand, all sleek and aluminum and surrounded by soft-glowing lights. I note the price of 50 cents before turning my attention to your stand. It also looks pretty cool; made from glass so I can see you're not hiding anything. That's when I notice your price is half of Jimmy's store's price. Naturally, I start walking towards your stand because I'll be damned if I'm going to pay 50 cents for a cup of friggin' lemonade when there's a 25 cent stand just across from it.

Before I reach your stand, Jimmy yells out, "Hey, mister, I don't pee in my lemonade as a filler. That's why it's 25 cents more!" So, disgusted by the thought of you relieving yourself in a pitcher of lemonade to fill it up more, I walk over to Jimmy's stand and purchase his lemonade for 50 cents. Jimmy notices this tactic works great, and continues to use it every time someone starts walking towards your stand. You decide to try and fight fire with fire by hiring Jerry Seinfeld to stand beside your stand and talk about cake and help you try on shoes, but this just confuses and scares your customers, who wonder why someone like Jerry Seinfeld is helping you advertise your product by talking about cake and helping you try on shoes. So you get rid of Jerry and continue taking this crap Jimmy is spouting about you.

Would you be upset? Do you think what Jimmy is doing is childish and despicable?

First, I would like to commend you for arguing with me. This is very valid and a good point. Apple's advertisements and mud-slapping at other companies is childish, but you see companies doing it all the time. "Look! Tide doesn't leave nasty stains like those OTHER brands!"

Now, using your analogy, what if Jimmy isn't selling lemonade? What if he's selling mango pudding?
We'll say "I" am selling plain old nice iced lemonade. What if somebody just wanted mango pudding? There are some people who do not like lemonade, who prefer mango. Are you going to deny the opinions of these lads who harbor an affinity for those orange lumped fruits? You'll buy some lemonade from me if you'd prefer that cheaper alternative.
Jimmy didn't start saying I peed in my lemonade. First, I actually did take a small tinkle in my lemonade, and denied it like hell. (Something I never thought I'd say.) After a while, when everyone noticed and started needing filters for my lemonade, I started providing rudimentary filters, but with many times having the filters fail. I got together my friends and started a small chain of lemonade stands labeled "Microade" all around our neighborhood. Jimmy, on the other hand, has few customers and only one stand. What does he do? He calls out the flaws of my lemonade. "Get my mango! It's pee-free!" This may be bad sportsmanship, but he's just promoting one aspect of his pudding, just so that maybe a few people will try the more expensive mango.

DQScott95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally despise apple with a passion...

But before anyone starts flaming I have to say,

I know a lot of people that love apple and there products and to my experience, most of them are just plain idiots.

I will never like apple, but honestly i even have my desktop (windows 7) set up like a mac desktop.

I only like 2 things about OS X and that is the launcher, (which i am currently using rocketdock to imitate), and stacks (which i am also using rocketdock to imitate).

Macs have a lot of software that it cant use simply because its not compatible.

Windows has many more features than any apple OS ever will. And as stated before most oof apples products are just flashy. And Steve is an idiot he always claims that his products are so much better than microsofts (which they arnt by far!).

people that say "oh well Macs never get viruses" you can shove a stick a$$ cause your an idiot as well. Macs do get viruses (and while ill have to admit that there is a much lower chance that your mac will get a virus compared to a windows comp. I dont think you should be using a computer in the first place if you cant prevent a virus).

I have been using my windows 7 ultimate OS on my toshiba PC for over a year and i havnt had a single virus.

I agree that the main reason most people DO hate apple is mainly because of the fanboys who think they are smart but are really just retarded dumbshits who dont know a single thing about computers and how they work.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Apple sucks. Get used to it.

Reasons:

1) yuppies love tech toys and cars *cough*audi is shit*cough* they know nothing about just because they are purty (well actually can't compare audi to apple because it is a butt ugly car but apples are pretty I'll give you +1 for that but everything else brings you down in the red so hard that you can almost feel their corporate stock price crash.
2) foxconn workers are underpaid and loathe life so they commit suicide #1 reason I do not support this company
3) a mac computer is a PC that can exclusively run mac os for x86 cpus. it is an overpriced PC!
4) I can buy a macbook pro core i7 for $2199 with the same exact features as a Dell or HP Core i7 for $1199. that is $1000 of price difference. I could have two laptops for the price of one!
5) mac osx is stripped down when you buy the computer unless you bundle MICROSOFT OFFICE with it LMAO. look how many toys are in Windows 7 to play with bone stock opposed to very little to do in a boring osx environment
6) software support. macs are notorious for lacking software you can buy or download from the internet
7) need I say more? all the above make me wane from purchasing this snobby product.

arghargh200

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have used Macs for many reasons, and they sucked.

Here's all the stuff I dislike.

1) The Text Editor: It didn't encode my files to look nice in a Windows/NDS text editor. I had to go through it and fix the new line markers.
2)I hate the compatibility. NO WAY to run Windows applications without using a cross-platform application. And even then you have to buy one.

That's just a couple of things I hate. But I won't rant anymore.

Overman1977

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
BakuFunn said:
Kentoss said:
BakuFunn said:

First, I would like to commend you for arguing with me. This is very valid and a good point. Apple's advertisements and mud-slapping at other companies is childish, but you see companies doing it all the time. "Look! Tide doesn't leave nasty stains like those OTHER brands!"

Tide doesn't have entire marketing campaigns devoted to slandering a specifically named product like Apple does. Also...Those Mac commercials that boast they can run Windows, and then poo poo Windows in almost every other commercial enrages me....lol

Kentoss

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
BakuFunn said:
Apple's advertisements and mud-slapping at other companies is childish, but you see companies doing it all the time. "Look! Tide doesn't leave nasty stains like those OTHER brands!"

True, however US commercial law states that you cannot claim your product is better than another product if said information isn't factual. Example being Procter & Gamble can't blatantly state that, "Tide cleans better than Oxiclean!" Because most of the time there's no actual evidence to back it up, thus in steps the government to let them know they can't say that. This is why in most commercials, instead of specific brands being compared, they simply say, "Tide cleans better than the next leading brand!" Or, "People agree, Tide is better!" They can get away with saying these things because they aren't mentioning anything specific, and their words are really vague and can mean anything. 'Tide is the better!' Better compared to what? Dog crap? Ok.

Apple, on the other hand, is very open with it's competition with Microsoft and Windows. However, their wording and scripts are very carefully crafted in such a way where it's enough to slip by the FCC, while still blatantly insulting Windows, or twisting facts to suit their needs.

QUOTE(BakuFunn @ Jul 18 2010, 11:20 PM) Now, using your analogy, what if Jimmy isn't selling lemonade? What if he's selling mango pudding?
We'll say "I" am selling plain old nice iced lemonade. What if somebody just wanted mango pudding? There are some people who do not like lemonade, who prefer mango. Are you going to deny the opinions of these lads who harbor an affinity for those orange lumped fruits? You'll buy some lemonade from me if you'd prefer that cheaper alternative.
Jimmy didn't start saying I peed in my lemonade. First, I actually did take a small tinkle in my lemonade, and denied it like hell. (Something I never thought I'd say.) After a while, when everyone noticed and started needing filters for my lemonade, I started providing rudimentary filters, but with many times having the filters fail. I got together my friends and started a small chain of lemonade stands labeled "Microade" all around our neighborhood. Jimmy, on the other hand, has few customers and only one stand. What does he do? He calls out the flaws of my lemonade. "Get my mango! It's pee-free!" This may be bad sportsmanship, but he's just promoting one aspect of his pudding, just so that maybe a few people will try the more expensive mango.

If he started selling mango pudding then there wouldn't be any competition between you to. Jimmy would get customers that wanted mango pudding and you'd get customers that want lemonade. Jimmy would never have started the slander because there would be no point. This makes my whole situation moot because it no longer reflects the real life lemonade stands that are Apple and Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Its not really funny, that why