Hardware Multiple Hard Drives On Wii?

Sverri

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
This is my first post. :)

Is it possible to have more than one external hard drive connected to the Wii?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Possible : yes
easy or useful : no
As a general fact : multiple drives is not recommended, it's hard to setup and can create issues. you should not try to go with that setup, and do everything on a single HDD. (or one at a time)

It depends why you want to do that, and which homebrew you want to use your drives with.

But it will depends whether the homebrew you are using lists all partition, or uses only the first it founds, has muti-hdd support or not, etc.
For example, Nintendont can use either USB Port 0 or Port 1, but will uses only ONE partition. Having multiple HDD is of no use as it will not allow you to have more games at the same time.

so, please let us know which homebrew you expect to use, and we will tell you how, and if it's really useful. *prepare an aspirin for the future guide*

Last edited by Cyan,

Sverri

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Okay. I don't know which homebrew I'm gonna use. Only homebrew a Wii on time before. So still a noob..

The reason why I would like to use more than one external harddrive, is because I would like to have all GameCube and Wii games. I'm building a gaming room for the family.

All GameCube games is around 675GB, and the Wii collection is around 2.2TB. The only problem is that it won't fit on only one hard drive. That's why I want to have multiple hard drives.

I actually that thought I could use an USB splitter. :S

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
HUBs are not working with Wii games. (it should work with gamecube games).
if full Wii collection is 2.2TB, it means you will have a HDD bigger than 2TB, right? so, probably 3 or 4TB ?
then it's enough to fit both Wii and gamecube on the same FAT32 partition, no need to use a problematic setup with dual HDDs.

But it should work if you really want 2 HDD.
Wii : plug HDD in port 0 (near the edge)
Gamecube : plug in Port 1
USBLoaderGX (or other loaders) : set the settings to use IOS58 while inside the loader, and relaunch it. edit all the paths to properly set wii and gamecube to be displayed at the same time. be sure you installed d2x v8 base57 in slot 249 or 250, and set that slot for Wii games.
Be sure to use all resources (covers, homebrew dol, settings, etc.) on SD card. dual HDD without SD card is just asking for HDD corruption.
it should be all you need.

Last edited by Cyan,

RSmerlinious0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Cyan
It is not possible to make a Fat32 partition more than 2 TB, just as it is impossible to make one above 2TB that is MBR rather than GPT. apparently the wii only accepts MBR drives.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    T @ Texasauras: helppppppppppppppppppppppp