With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
PPSainity said:
PPSainity said:
UPDATE: Got a response from the issue report. Darn it if I don't have my Google password on this PC, I hope metaradil reads this here.
metaradil said:
It's impossible you only updated from r574.
Also, the actual value is 110.94%
Sorry, I only update MPlayer CE whenever I see a new version announced on WiiBrew and the last version announced before r590 was r574. I couldn't find a way to download and try intermediate SVN builds; but I don't have my Google password right now (why did I make it a random alphanumeric string, d'oh) and will try again later.
I just logged on the the Google Code site and saw that all the intermediate changes were just housekeeping and the source code only changed in r590 with respect to r574, so the issue; if not restricted to my Wii alone, should of been introduced in the r590 changes. If nothing was changed codewise that could affect the Wii drive light, must be my Wii, although it does not happen with r574, or any other program like WiiMC...wierdness...

-[]D

Surfing the internet, I came across badSAM's post about the Wii's blue light drive blinking. It does seem like the drive light is blinking in relationship to the audio playback.... So the issue is not restricted to my Wii alone. I knew there where more crazy people like me out there!

Seriously though, hasn't anyone else noticed this? Don't tell me everyone else is using WiiMC only now...
tongue.gif

-[]D
Yep, it actually blinks along with sound levels. Does that on my Wii too. Neat feature.

fattest

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I remember reading that mplayer-ce developers will come up with their own gui (not WiiMC), is that still happening? Even though WiiMC looks nicer, mplayer-ce is currently more stable. I'd like to see a gui for mplayer-ce...

UranusKiller

TranceMaster
Trophies
Website
djdynamite.freeforums.org
XP
Country
fattest said:
I think I remember reading that mplayer-ce developers will come up with their own gui (not WiiMC), is that still happening? Even though WiiMC looks nicer, mplayer-ce is currently more stable. I'd like to see a gui for mplayer-ce...
Mplayer-CE > WiiMC, Same developers, so what makes you think WiiMC is from different developers?

MrSlippery

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

I recently installed the MPlayer-CE on my Wii to play DVD's and it's working wonderfully, but now I want to try getting it to play movies from my external hard drive.

I've read a few things, but I'm pretty new to the mod scene so I have a few questions.

Currently, I can play backup games off my external hard drive, so does that mean I already have the necessary cIOS for the MPlayer, as well? Or, do I have to install something different? I'm just worried about installing something, and possibly 'overriding' a current setting that will prevent me from reading games from my HDD.

Any information on how to set this up would be greatly appreciated.

And I realize there's information that could help you help me, but I'm not sure what you would need to know. So, if you have any questions for me, I'll try my best to answer them.

Thanks,

Slip

Tantric

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
fattest said:

WiiMC is that project. The original name was to be "MPlayer CE 1.0" but we decided to brand it WiiMC, and give it a logo, homepage, etc.

fattest

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for clearing that up, I thought the mplayer-ce "New GUI" was being developed separately. Hope the code dump can be resolved in 1.0.4.

naraku00

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using WiiMC for a while but some anime mkv encodes failed to load under it and if it does it's really slow. Lots of frames being dropped.

I tried the newest built from the IRC channel for MPlayerCE and I must say I'm impressed. All my anime mkv files works, mind you these are small mkv encodes 480p from sites like darklegends anime.

some mplayer.conf tweaks I use:

volume=200
af=volnorm=2:0.25

volume so you startup @max volume

and af (I guess stands for audio filter) volume normalization makes my low volume files all that more louder without any distortion. Just "af=volnorm" works as well but I've been told the extra switches is more optimal.

Anyone have any other tweaks to share?

Thanks
smile.gif
I just wish the MplayerCE gui gets revamped but if it means sacrificing resources that goes into video playing then this is more than enough.

Reactions: occuplus

broksonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Is it possible to get mplayer to regonise my hard drive. Which is connected to the top usb port. I'm asking because i have another hard drive in the bottom port. Which is formated for my wii backups and also has a partion for my windows backups. And mlayer always opens the hard drive connected to lower port.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
broksonic said:
Is it possible to get mplayer to regonise my hard drive. Which is connected to the top usb port. I'm asking because i have another hard drive in the bottom port. Which is formated for my wii backups and also has a partion for my windows backups. And mlayer always opens the hard drive connected to lower port.
No, I don't think so, the second USB port is blocked because it's (still) very unstable, sorry.

broksonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Is it possible to be able to add covers to mplayer like you can in usb loaders. Would be good to be able to see a cover of your film

Dogway

Trophies
XP
Country
What are the limitations of playablity of "mplayer ce" in terms of codec settings? Its strange because I can play a xvid movie of 2300kbps but I cant make it play smoothly a h.264 1000kbps level 4.1.

I would like to know if someone is used to encoding mp4 for playing it in Wii. I use x264 CLI, and have some knowledge on the parameters.

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dogway said:
What are the limitations of playablity of "mplayer ce" in terms of codec settings? Its strange because I can play a xvid movie of 2300kbps but I cant make it play smoothly a h.264 1000kbps level 4.1.

I would like to know if someone is used to encoding mp4 for playing it in Wii. I use x264 CLI, and have some knowledge on the parameters.
I haven't experimented with the limits of encoding video for the Wii, but I have encoded many videos for other devices from old Palm Zire71s to new Apple iPhones. I can tell you in general that bitrate is less of a factor in playability than resolution and codec complexity. So while hardware throughput limits do exist, you will more likely start to push the limits of a playback device with higher resolutions or using a heavily computative codec like H.264.

With the Wii, it is best to stick with less complex codecs like that of the MPEG4 Simple Profile variety; Xvid is great and open source example. Since the Wii is only capable of a max resolution of 480p it makes little sense to encode at a higher resolution. As an aside it is also important to note that the 480p resolution is anamorphic (non square pixels) so be careful of aspect ratio issues. As far as bitrate goes, the logic depends on the codec being used, in the case of a 480p Xvid encode, it is wasteful to use a bitrate higher than 2000kbps. Anyways it is best to calculate the appropriate bitrate by aiming for a CQ (compression quality) of 0.25 than using a blanket value as scene complexity plays heavily here, unless size is of no issue lol.

-[]D

Dogway

Trophies
XP
Country
I forgot to say that the resolution of my encoded test was even smaller than that of the xvid (I didnt encode this), both below 480p. So it narrows possibilities to codec complex. I will make more tests lowering settings, but really at this rate is going to look better on xvid than mp4.

EDIT1: I gave up, Im not skilled at encoding with xvid, quality isnt great too. Nevertheless I installed v0.77 and the performance is so much better, but still not real time. About v0.77 I want to know if the new HW_AHBPROT Drive access feature allows me to play a file on a DVD, even with my D3-2 drive. Do I need to set the no_ios_reload flag?

SELF-ANSWER1: Ok, HW_AHBPROT doesnt work with D3-2 drives. post#4

EDIT2: I got an answer on another forum, for you guys wondering on how to encode set --level 4.1 --tune fastdecode, it worked on my tests.

SELF-ANSWER2: Didnt work for the real movie. Maybe ref frames was the key, use 3 instead.

EDIT3:
rodries said:
For spanish you have to add:
subcp=ISO-8859-1

in mplayer.conf

It doesnt work in v0.77 r.592 at least. Saving menu.conf to UTF-8, and mplayer.conf to ANSI. "slang=es" right?

SELF-ANSWER3: Ok, solved after one hour testing, subtitles were in UTF-8, saving in ANSI made the day. Watch out for this guys!

Robotic Earthlin

Trophies
XP
Country
Is there a way to turn off the disc slot light blinking along with the sound levels? It gets kind of annoying in a dark room. So far I've just been putting a piece of cardboard in front of the Wii but I wanted to see if there is something I could add to the config or something.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.