Modloader64 released/Game Night OoT randomizer

OoTO lobby info.PNG
This is a bit of a unique thread, serving as both news of a release as well as the announcement for a Game Night stream. Starting today, both the Ocarina of Time Online pak and the Banjo Kazooie Online pak of what is known as Modloader64 have come out of closed beta for all to enjoy. What does that mean? From their readme: "ModLoader64 is an API that allows Nintendo 64 games to be modded with ease, and even add Online functionalities to them. It even comes with full Online mods for a bunch of games!" In short, this all-in-one utility provides both emulator and framework to play N64 games online with one another, with progression syncing between players in real-time. It supports all number of interesting mods, such as full model replacements on weapons and characters. While only the OoTO and BKO paks are out today, the team will eventually release online paks for Banjo Tooie, Majora's Mask, Donkey Kong 64, and Super Mario 64, with no definitive release date for any of them.

A handy chart has been provided by the project's lead coordinator, Denoflions:
Online pak release chart.PNG

Compared to Ocarina of Time Online v1.1.4, version 2.0 played through Modloader64 "uses about 80% less CPU and 50% GPU", with a smaller memory footprint and faster load times as well, making it quite the massive leap in performance and stability.

=== Installation ===

Once you have downloaded ModLoader64 from the official Github repository, simply extract it's contents in a
folder that you will remember the location of, like a folder on your Desktop for example.

Next, open that folder, and double click on "modloader64 gui.exe".
It will launch ModLoader64 and create/configure necessary files for you.

Once you see the main launcher, close it, and go to the "ModLoader" folder.
Inside, go in the "roms" folder.
Place your .z64 roms in it, and make sure that you have a 1.0 NTSC rom for Ocarina of Time.

Once that's done, simply run "modloader64 gui.exe" again, and make sure to check your rom in the "Games" tab.
After that, head over to the "Mods" tab and make sure to check the mods that you want.

IF YOUR ROM DOESN'T SHOW UP, SIMPLY RESTART THE LAUNCHER!!!

=== Configure Controls ===

To configure your controller, head over in the "Config" tab in the launcher, and click on "Configure Controls".

From there, check the "Plugged" checkbox, and change "Device" to your controller.
Simply set the buttons as you see fit, and once you're done, close the "Controllers configuration" window.

=== Basic Usage ===

Head to the "General" tab of the launcher, and enter a username and lobby.
If you want to join your friends, make sure that you all enter the same lobby name.

To start the game and join your friends, click "Start" and enjoy!

=== Installing Mods ===

To install mods, go to the "ModLoader" folder.
Inside, go in the "mods" folder.

Simply download the mod that you want in .pak format and place it in the "mods" folder.

Restart the launcher, and the mod should appear in "Mods". Simple check it and start the game to use it.

You need the OoT mod pack from here:
https://github.com/hylian-modding/OcarinaOfTimeOnline/releases

Place it in ModLoader/mods/OotOnline.pak

So, want to test out this new and strangely seductive utility? Well, come join us on stream, as we'll be using Modloader64 to host a randomized ROM of Ocarina of Time online on stream for any who care to join us. The room name will be "Meteor's Moist Pit", with the password set as "GBAtemp". The patch will be hosted on my end and pushed to the games of everyone who joins, so all you need is a v1.0 ROM of Ocarina of Time in the right folder "\ModLoader\roms" and to join our lobby in order to be able to play with us.

So if that tickles your fancy, come join us on our twitch channel at 3pm EST and we'll run this randomizer together, or your money back.

:arrow:GBAtemp's Twitch
:arrow:Countdown timer

Last edited by Meteor7,

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't really see the point of having oot online split screen at all

and no mention of mariokart 64, i thought that would be the obvious one

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Would be nice to see videos eventually of how this works. I wonder if anyone uploaded Banjo-Kazooie online yet... OOT would probably end up being similar to Four Swords Adventures or Tri Force Heroes. Nothing bad about that.

onedementedsmurf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't really see the point of having oot online split screen at all

and no mention of mariokart 64, i thought that would be the obvious one

yeah oot is a Sp game where as mariokart is MP makes no sense at all why they picked OOT.

As part of the dev team I'd like to clarify, this is not a standard online implementation like kaillera, it's main purpose was to take games that are single player and open them to a world of possibilities with multi-player shenanigans. Ocarina of Time Online is the main attraction due to Ocarina of Time Randomizer and it's multiworld function. It allows people to work together to play the game and opens up possible forced multi-player romhacks and dungeons. The multiworld function allows you to create multiple worlds with items from each world scattered amongst all other worlds meaning everyone must work together so everyone can individually defeat Ganon.

Would be nice to see videos eventually of how this works. I wonder if anyone uploaded Banjo-Kazooie online yet... OOT would probably end up being similar to Four Swords Adventures or Tri Force Heroes. Nothing bad about that.

There are videos floating around of Ocarina of Time Online on YouTube, and quite possibly ones for BKO. There are also tons of VODs on various LoZ streamers Twitch pages, such as zfg, simpleflips, Scott Falco, etc.

Last edited by onedementedsmurf,

Maq47

Lord of Pyro
Trophies
Website
idont.have.one
XP
Country
United States
I think it's stuck at "Starting up NetworkEngine.client" for me...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm using a hotel's ethernet connection to run this. Will that be a problem?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la