• Total voters

burritoboy9984

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sdoc96 said:
slemion said:
I'm getting a reproducible dump error when performing #2 under the heading "Installing cIOS & Patching the System Menu IOS (The good stuff!)". It's slightly different each time but always occurs.
I got the same issue hacking a virgin 4.2E wii (aside from a hard mod Argon).
All worked fine until I got to the cIOS part - same as above. (BTW, I've hacked a few Wii's before - mostly using MMM or others)

slemion said:
QUOTE(burritoboy9984 @ Dec 14 2010, 11:20 AM) If it is when it starts up, please delete wm_config from the /wad directory and manually select ios236 and the sd card.
Thanks, manual selection resolved the problem for YAWM Multimod Batch. I can now also launch YAWM (standalone) without getting an immediate dump.
As above, deleting wm_config and using manual selection worked for me too. Thanks all for the above posts which helped me enormously.
yaywii.gif

I still have no idea what the cause of the errors are. So far, I've only seen 4.2E users having issues... I ruled out having a USB drive plugged in as the issue, it doesn't dump on me. If people having this issue can pin point what it might be it would be appreciated. Perhaps taking out only the default device, and then only taking out the ciosversion. Perhaps trying to run it after it has completed successfully? Would be GREATLY appreciated!

-Erik

AndrewZorn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
burritoboy9984 said:
What guide did you follow? Did you follow this one? If you have done stuff since but did originally follow it, re-follow the Modify 4.2/4.3 section that way we know you have the ios's we want you to have.

Delete all partitions on your usb drive. Create a Fat32 partition of however big you want. This will be for homebrew (settings etc...). Now create an ntfs partition with the rest of the space.

Format your sd card, grab this and extract it to the root of the sd card. If you want to install some forwarder channels, they are included in the /wad directory and can all be installed automatically by running YAWM Multimod Batch.

Then grab this, extract it to that cleanly formatted fat32 partition you created above. Now using Wii Backup Manager, choose the drive of your NTFS partition, and format it, then copy games to it.

Plug in the usb drive while the wii is off, power it on, go into the hbc and launch Configurable USB Loader.

Do all this, and if you are still having problems, it is either the drive, or the games.

-Erik
I followed the guide exactly, so that is the stuff I should have.

I just tried making the whole drive FAT32, and everything seems to be better... except the controller desync with NSMB. Seriously, every time the game starts I have to resync the controller. I don't know what could cause this...

Is there a disadvantage to just keeping it FAT32, aside from the normal disadvantages of FAT32? I've never seen NTFS support be as good as FAT on non-Windows stuff, and this seems to support that.

I'll try SSBB in a second, just to see.
EDIT guess not, 4gb file size limit in FAT ruins this.
I guess I have to use NTFS.

Zelda seems to ONLY load from FAT32.

The only thing I did outside the guide was this: http://gwht.wikidot.com/hermes-ios222-223
I don't know if following the guide again will 'undo' that... and should I even? I mean is there even a way just to start fresh anymore?

sdoc96

Creaky Old Stiff Member
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
burritoboy9984 said:
So far, I've only seen 4.2E users having issues...
QUOTE(slemion @ Dec 14 2010, 12:23 PM) I have a 4.0U wii
slemion had a US Wii and mine is EU.

If I get time tonight I'll try doing some testing for you and post my syschecks through the process (before, mid hack and after).

burritoboy9984

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AndrewZorn said:
burritoboy9984 said:
What guide did you follow? Did you follow this one? If you have done stuff since but did originally follow it, re-follow the Modify 4.2/4.3 section that way we know you have the ios's we want you to have.

Delete all partitions on your usb drive. Create a Fat32 partition of however big you want. This will be for homebrew (settings etc...). Now create an ntfs partition with the rest of the space.

Format your sd card, grab this and extract it to the root of the sd card. If you want to install some forwarder channels, they are included in the /wad directory and can all be installed automatically by running YAWM Multimod Batch.

Then grab this, extract it to that cleanly formatted fat32 partition you created above. Now using Wii Backup Manager, choose the drive of your NTFS partition, and format it, then copy games to it.

Plug in the usb drive while the wii is off, power it on, go into the hbc and launch Configurable USB Loader.

Do all this, and if you are still having problems, it is either the drive, or the games.

-Erik
I followed the guide exactly, so that is the stuff I should have.

I just tried making the whole drive FAT32, and everything seems to be better... except the controller desync with NSMB. Seriously, every time the game starts I have to resync the controller. I don't know what could cause this...

Is there a disadvantage to just keeping it FAT32, aside from the normal disadvantages of FAT32? I've never seen NTFS support be as good as FAT on non-Windows stuff, and this seems to support that.

I'll try SSBB in a second, just to see.
EDIT guess not, 4gb file size limit in FAT ruins this.
I guess I have to use NTFS.

Zelda seems to ONLY load from FAT32.

The only thing I did outside the guide was this: http://gwht.wikidot.com/hermes-ios222-223
I don't know if following the guide again will 'undo' that... and should I even? I mean is there even a way just to start fresh anymore?

ntfs is faster and more stable than fat32, I have done countless wiis with ntfs and had zero problems fwiw...

If you really want to use fat32, wii backup manager can split the files over 4gb for you...

Following this guide overwrites that step for 222 and 223, it basically installs the latest versions of hermes for you...

sdoc96 said:
burritoboy9984 said:
So far, I've only seen 4.2E users having issues...
QUOTE(slemion @ Dec 14 2010, 12:23 PM)
I have a 4.0U wii
slemion had a US Wii and mine is EU.

If I get time tonight I'll try doing some testing for you and post my syschecks through the process (before, mid hack and after).

Thx
smile.gif

-Erik

AndrewZorn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When trying to redo the instructions, I get a "FAILED (-1)" when trying to install BootMii as IOS. I tried uninstalling first. What is going on? I'm doing everything EXACTLY AS BEFORE with the SAME HARDWARE.

EDIT write lock was flipped, continuing...

EDIT and I have a feeling the suggestion for "Auto press A at health screen" may have been causing the controller weirdness at the health screen.
EDIT I guess not, different health screen. Crazy controller problem still there. If I wait long enough the controller resyncs itself, really weird.

Everything else seems good, loading off NTFS and all. More in a moment...

EDIT I guess it's just the version of SSBB I have. Ripping the physical copy now, I hope no patches or anything are needed.
EDIT direct rip worked fine, must have been something wrong with the first one I was using.

Number of issues very low right now, thanks SO MUCH!

burritoboy9984

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AndrewZorn said:
When trying to redo the instructions, I get a "FAILED (-1)" when trying to install BootMii as IOS. I tried uninstalling first. What is going on? I'm doing everything EXACTLY AS BEFORE with the SAME HARDWARE.

EDIT write lock was flipped, continuing...

EDIT and I have a feeling the suggestion for "Auto press A at health screen" may have been causing the controller weirdness at the health screen.
EDIT I guess not, different health screen. Crazy controller problem still there. If I wait long enough the controller resyncs itself, really weird.

Everything else seems good, loading off NTFS and all. More in a moment...

EDIT I guess it's just the version of SSBB I have. Ripping the physical copy now, I hope no patches or anything are needed.
EDIT direct rip worked fine, must have been something wrong with the first one I was using.

Number of issues very low right now, thanks SO MUCH!

lol @ the edits... Glad you got it figured out
smile.gif

-Erik

AndrewZorn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so one more question, and I have searched quite a bit for it: how do I change to the iPod-esque "coverflow" view instead of the grid? Cannot find the option!

burritoboy9984

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AndrewZorn said:
Okay, so one more question, and I have searched quite a bit for it: how do I change to the iPod-esque "coverflow" view instead of the grid? Cannot find the option!

If you used the files I linked to above it should already be set that way. But if not, I believe B switches back and forth...

-Erik

AndrewZorn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only used your files to confirm mine, I wanted to understand it a bit more myself.

Since B doesn't change it, I'll look into doing it with the Configurator, which I now see the option to change.

EDIT oh yeah, MUSIC, I can finally add the Homebrew Channel theme!

Pyrate02

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Erik:

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I am unclear about something. When running up42u, what IOS should I choose? I believe it is 36 but am not sure. I ran it on one Wii and I believe that 36 came up by default, but when running it on another Wii, some other IOS came up by default.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for all your help.

burritoboy9984

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pyrate02 said:
Erik:

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I am unclear about something. When running up42u, what IOS should I choose? I believe it is 36 but am not sure. I ran it on one Wii and I believe that 36 came up by default, but when running it on another Wii, some other IOS came up by default.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for all your help.

Doing the update 36 is the preferred, and when modding obviously 236...

-Erik

orgazmo1009

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may have been answered. ive modded a lot of wiis but just recently started doing to 4.2's and 4.3's. why cant i get wads to install? i can do them on my 3.4u n problem.
Is there something else left out in this guide like a cios install that opens up the wad installs?

Brent72

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have softmodded a lot of wii's, including several 4.3U's. However, I just came across a problem I can't resolve. I softmodded a customer's wii about a year ago on 4.2U and he just updated to 4.3U today (told him not to, but... he wanted/needed an updated shopping channel). So now he's on 4.3U. I got HBC working and updated to latest level HBC. I successfully followed the latest 4.3mod guide on this forum, and all steps were successful. However, when trying to launch USB Loader GX, I get a DSI error / Stack Dump. FYI... I'm using the USB Loader GX forwarder, so no DS card is needed in the slot, and the USB Loader software resides on the HD. The HD is known-good, working on another softmodded wii.
I went back and repeated the guide a second time, but resulted in the same problem.
I went back and used an old 4.3mod zip file from early November which uses MMM instead of YAWM, but same result.
I tried an older 4.3mod file from August. With that guide, you're supposed to install IOS41-64-v2835.wad but I got an error when attempting to install that one.

Second question... since this is not my wii, I don't have an old NAND backup, but the wii does have bootmii installed in boot2. Is it possible to use a NAND backup and key from a different wii, and restore those files onto this wii? Or are the NAND and key tied to the specific wii from which they were generated ?

I ran the sys checker with results below...
sysCheck v2.0.1 by Double_A
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v513)
Hollywood v0x11
Console ID: 69857480
Boot2 v4

Found 110 titles.
Found 48 IOS on this console. 12 of them are stub.

IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 256): Stub
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 256): Stub
IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 2816): Stub
IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS40 (rev 3072): Stub
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 5120): Stub
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52 (rev 5888): Stub
IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): No Patches
IOS60 (rev 6400): Stub
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 6912): Stub
IOS80 (rev 6943): Trucha Bug
IOS202 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS222 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS223 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS224 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS236 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS249 (rev 20): Trucha Bug
IOS250 (rev 20): Trucha Bug
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10

Report generated on 2010/12/21.

burritoboy9984

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
orgazmo1009 said:
This may have been answered. ive modded a lot of wiis but just recently started doing to 4.2's and 4.3's. why cant i get wads to install? i can do them on my 3.4u n problem.
Is there something else left out in this guide like a cios install that opens up the wad installs?

IOS 236 installer.

QUOTE(Brent72 @ Dec 20 2010, 11:42 PM) I have softmodded a lot of wii's, including several 4.3U's. However, I just came across a problem I can't resolve. I softmodded a customer's wii about a year ago on 4.2U and he just updated to 4.3U today (told him not to, but... he wanted/needed an updated shopping channel). So now he's on 4.3U. I got HBC working and updated to latest level HBC. I successfully followed the latest 4.3mod guide on this forum, and all steps were successful. However, when trying to launch USB Loader GX, I get a DSI error / Stack Dump. FYI... I'm using the USB Loader GX forwarder, so no DS card is needed in the slot, and the USB Loader software resides on the HD. The HD is known-good, working on another softmodded wii.
I went back and repeated the guide a second time, but resulted in the same problem.
I went back and used an old 4.3mod zip file from early November which uses MMM instead of YAWM, but same result.
I tried an older 4.3mod file from August. With that guide, you're supposed to install IOS41-64-v2835.wad but I got an error when attempting to install that one.

Second question... since this is not my wii, I don't have an old NAND backup, but the wii does have bootmii installed in boot2. Is it possible to use a NAND backup and key from a different wii, and restore those files onto this wii? Or are the NAND and key tied to the specific wii from which they were generated ?

As to why the forwarder isn't working I am not sure what would have caused it to suddenly stop working, try the thread you got the forwarder from and see if people are having similar issues.

I don't know much about this but it should be a starting point for researching...

-Erik

burritoboy9984

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, if someone that has been experiencing the dsi dumps from YAWM Multimod Batch doesn't mind donating some time, please try and experiment with wm_config.txt and see if it is the cios or the storage device that is causing the crash. And once you let me know, I would like to try some things and probably have you try a test version.

-Erik

chipxtreme

Trophies
XP
Country
I just did 3 wii's yesterday, 2 were already on 4.2 and I got DSI errors every time with YAWM, however one console came with 4.1 and the 4.2 upgrade worked perfect and then 4.2 mod worked perfect no DSI error.

Don't know if that helps, but for consoles that are on 4.2 i'm using MMM for now and others YAWM.

burritoboy9984

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chip, next time you get a dsi error on a wii, could you try deleting the ciosversion line out of the wm_config.txt file in the /wad directory and then manually select 236 and see if it works. I have done probably 15 wiis since the last update ranging from 3.0 to 4.3 and haven't experienced the error once. Kind of hard to trouble shoot an error if I can't duplicate it
frown.gif

Thx!
-Erik

fruitgull

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Does the Indiana Pwns and Yu-Gi-OH 5D's Wheelie Breakers exploits work with newly bought games? Or have Nintendo patched the games recently?
If I buy a copy of the game today, can I be sure it'll work?

burritoboy9984

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fruitgull said:
Does the Indiana Pwns and Yu-Gi-OH 5D's Wheelie Breakers exploits work with newly bought games? Or have Nintendo patched the games recently?
If I buy a copy of the game today, can I be sure it'll work?

Yes.

-Erik

ultim

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
burritoboy9984 said:
Do you have a USB drive currently connected? If so disconnect and please let us know if this fixed the problem. If not, delete the wm_config.txt file found in /wad and select IOS236 at the first prompt and sd card at the second prompt and it should work.

Please let us know so we can make this better.
-Erik

deleted the wm_config.txt file, loaded YAWM, selected ISO236 and then source device as WII SD Slot. however got an error ret = -1

anymore ideas?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If your internet speeds are fast enough. Streaming 4k takes alot. I used to only have 20mb sec, and 4k struggled. Now I have 300mb sec and 4k plays fine.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i only have like 1 or 2 mb sec
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you feed the hamster in your internet router? It prob died and is running slow now.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, why did you start saying my pc has a hamster in the first place?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its actua!ly just a old joke, meaning its slow. Was just kidding around with you.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I bet @AncientBoi has some hamsters hidden somewhere tho....
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think Game streaming should work like this.... Local Hardware able the run the game fine, game engine and common assets stored locally, all FMV and music and textures could be streaming
    +1
    Some temporary storage
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also @BigOnYa im making some progress on my gdevelop project, implemented various mechanics
    They went all in on streaming, should have been more of a hybrid approach
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or free government supplied high speed internet be nice also. Like Obama care. Xdqwerty that's cool, its time consuming but rewarding once done or playable, to see what you've made from scratch. Animations take forever, but worth it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, although the bullets are a bit buggy
    +1
    Not to mention this would be a massive pain to pirate
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    and the visual aspect of the game is quite crude (the sprite that looks best is that of the protagonist just because he is a stickman with sunglasses)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There is a bullets behaviour you assign to your character, that makes the code easier, under "behaviours"
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i meant that when the character is pointing to the right, the bullets spawn where they should, but when he is on the right, they move to the right but the spawn point is incorrect
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Itch.io has lots of free assets also. Under the bullets behavior tab, there is a "rotate bullets" option, can try that. Or in the code can try
    - fire bullet Player.X(PlayerDirection)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im taking a break for today anyway
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    YEa gotta after a while, looking at code for long periods will bug your eyes.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool tho, I'm proud of you going back to it, not giving up. It is difficult at first to learn, but fun once you get the hang of it. I think I've watched every tutorial video there is, but I still struggle sometimes to get stuff to work right. But gotta keep trying dif things, and eventually you will get it right.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol McDonald's has a grandma mcflurry
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, furry grandma?
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, furry grandma?