Hacking Missing text in homebrew utilities - waninkoko, tona, et al

the byter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got an interesting problem - for some of the homebrew utilities, text (usually with prompts or selections?) just isn't displayed. I've been using the wiikeyed wii (now 3.3U) heavily for a couple years now, use homebrew channel, gx loader, etc. The problem started when I decided to upgrade to 4.x and found that some of these text-based tools no longer worked.

It appears that text prompting for a selection just is not output, while static informative text is. The problem exhibits itself in multiple text-based homebrew apps from multiple authors. I've described some examples below.

Examples:

Custom IOS installer v1.7:
Loads up fine, graphics and initial disclaimer text. Pressing A gives me the:
Press LEFT/RIGHT to change installation mode
.. but I get no selections for the installation mode itself.

Anytitle deleter - launching it brings up completely black screen. Pressing "A" brings up:
OK!
Wiping off fingerprints...

Checking system region...
Reading TMD failed!

Anyregion Changer - launching brings up black screen save for "OK!", a keypress brings up the AnyRegion Changer 1.1 splash screen. Pressing (1) to continue brings up:

AnyRegion Changer 1.1b
-------------------------------------

Country Codes: 1=JON 49=USA 110=Uk

(that's it - no menu selections)

Cios Downgrader 1.2 - starts up with the graphic bars at top and bottom, and an "OK!", disclaimer text, etc. Continuing, I get:

[+] Available Firmwares:

[+] Press HOME to exit
up/down to move between entries

etc - but the "firmwares" selections are invisible. I can apparently navigate to them and select them, even though invisible, but its a rather dangerous proposition not knowing what I'm selecting!

Interestingly, Custom IOS installer 2.0 does not exhibit this problem.

Any clue as to what might be going on? I've done a fair amount of searching but can find no solutions. Any guidance would be appreciated.

sempron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've had similar problems with one wii.
I think that some unknown modchip (havent opened) was the problem.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the same exact problem! I don't have a modchip, but one day I booted up softchip (which I will never touch again) and it was just black....everything was functioning i could tell because my dvd drive would light up and spin up when I pressed buttons. My final solution was to upgrade and I did that through Nintendo official update. I never found what or where the problem came from, but it sucked! I spent two whole days trying to figure it out. Try WAD Manager 1.3 I bet that will be ugly as well....it will work somewhat normally but when you get to your list of wads on your sd card, it will keep repeating the list when you move the arrow down to select a file instead of just select the next wad

the byter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No joy. The 1.3 wad manager's interface is sort of usable, but I don't have any WADs to remove that solve the issue.

Bloodlust

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Yeah had this problem before. Just do a system restore under settings. After that everything was back to normal.

Take note though, this brings your Wii to default and whatever custom channels (vc/wiiware) will be deleted

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: uwu