Hardware Mini-ITX Tower

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One 3.5mm port only delivers two audio channels.

If you are so interested in APU, why even bother dedicated video card? APUs are for those who intends to NOT use dedicated video card. Consider FX or Core i3 if you want to use dedicated video card.

I have a APU in my current desktop this way it would save me money and I'll be able to upgrade to a video card down the future since they aren't that great.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a APU in my current desktop this way it would save me money and I'll be able to upgrade to a video card down the future since they aren't that great.

I can see your reasoning, but look at it this way:

Your APU is a tiny little stick guy with an average head size. He can lift little weights, and think about little things. No problem, it all works out.

Sticking a dedicated GPU on a system with an APU is like giving that tiny little stick guy a MASSIVE head so he can think about lifting heavier weights. Problem is, he still has this tiny little body, so he can't actually do anything more than he used to be able too (and also looks quite silly).

If you want a system with a dedicated GPU, you should really save up the money and invest in a better processor to give you stick guy a bigger, bulkier, more muscly body to go with his bigger head.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If its just a few fps I wont mind
The higher end GPU goes, more underutilize it'll be. For AMD to fit that impressive performance of onboard GPU into APU, it had to make compromises on CPU portion to keep die size and TDP in check.

HD7790 is about as high one should go before dedicated GPU is wasted on APU.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HD7790 is about as high one should go before dedicated GPU is wasted on APU.

Not that the 7790 is a bad card or anything. I had a 5770 in my system (along with a shitty Athlon CPU) and it played almost all modern games (as of ~2 years ago) with no issue at all, including Metro 2033. Not on full settings, but not on low, either.

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
just pointing out the bitfenix case is 2212 cu in, there's no point going mini-itx if it's as big as an atx mid-tower.

cooler master elite 120 is 1218 cu in, it's the smallest case I found that can fit a standard atx psu and a full length double height gpu.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just pointing out the bitfenix case is 2212 cu in, there's no point going mini-itx if it's as big as an atx mid-tower.

cooler master elite 120 is 1218 cu in, it's the smallest case I found that can fit a standard atx psu and a full length double height gpu.

Thanks for that at $50s it's a steal, guess I'm sort of stuck with APUs, I think Athlon has some fm2 sockets?

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What about switching to this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113335 - oh wait thats a apu also

And grabbing a 7850?

Looks like I'll have to wait on the pc case if I want a dedicated card

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for that at $50s it's a steal, guess I'm sort of stuck with APUs, I think Athlon has some fm2 sockets?
Athlon in FM2 socket is no different than other APU. Basically as AMD produces chips some didn't pass quality check on GPU portion. So AMD disabled the GPU portion and rebranded the APU as Athlon to minimize the loss. No chip maker is going to toss the chip if it can be rebranded as a lower tier product.

Not that the 7790 is a bad card or anything. I had a 5770 in my system (along with a shitty Athlon CPU) and it played almost all modern games (as of ~2 years ago) with no issue at all, including Metro 2033. Not on full settings, but not on low, either.

5770 is equivalent to 6770 which in turn is equivalent to 7750.

Reactions: PityOnU

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
bit curious, I thought the point of getting an small atx case was to keep all of your hardware, now you're getting a brand new mobo, cpu and gpu, might as well go with intel?
btw what's your current cpu and gpu?

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bit curious, I thought the point of getting an small atx case was to keep all of your hardware, now you're getting a brand new mobo, cpu and gpu, might as well go with intel?
btw what's your current cpu and gpu?

Thats because I dont have that many options to fit a full atx mobo.

Intels more expensive then just attempting to switch from a apu

As long as I get higher fps with a new video card I dont really mind if it doesnt run on high performance

MSI FM2-A85XA-G65 FM2 AMD A85X

Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W

AMD A6-5400K Trinity 3.6GHz

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You know, if you don't mind hunting for parts (even used) you can easily build a Intel system comparable in price to AMD APU. Just the other day I built a HTPC using i3-2120 (used) + Gigabyte B75M-HD3 (brand new) and these two parts costed me only $140.

Sandy and Ivy based Pentium has about 80% of gaming performance than comparable Core i3 and they are sub $100.

APU will probably hold at least 15% of GPU performance from HD7850.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I'm going to melt
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Going to smoke a bowl, eat pizza, drink a beer, and watch I Saw the TV Glow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Why do people on YouTube keep making themselves glow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh joy, heat wave all week where i live
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    plus there's thunder and lightning outside, and it'll rain soon, there's somehow no tornado watch tho
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and to make it worse, the heat didn't sway my brother away from wanting to spend some time swimming on his birthday tomorrow
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    idr where in the US the heat wave is
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    idk if I'm in it or not
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    midwest, near me and bigonya
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    ah fuck NJ is in the heat wave
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    we're cooked, possibly literally
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    if you have a habitable basement, the heat shouldn't be down there and that's where you should hang out
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    No, but, the air conditioner in my living room gets fuckin icy
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    In a good way, not as in a "my coils are freezing" kind of way
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not everyone lives in theirs mom's basement gosh
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nah, my mom's basement is just for the weekends to check in on the family
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i usually live in your mom's basement
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    saves a lot of time fr
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    It's 11:30 PM here, I just took the trash out and my god is it awful outside
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    This heatwave can eat my ass
    +1
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    omg same, it's VERY hot here, too
    MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight: omg same, it's VERY hot here, too