Homebrew Might be a stupid question, but is it possible to downgrade the firmware of an emuNAND on o3DS?

RyanXx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My only reason for wanting to do this is for nostalgia reasons, it would be like traveling back to 2011 to use a 3DS firmware version before themes, folders, and Miiverse were added.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Not a big deal.
You can downgrade with manually installing CIA files with homebrew system updater (can downgrade as well) or CTRTransfer an old image to EmuNAND.

Also not really risky (if you make sure to *NOT* write to SysNAND). Backup SysNAND anyway before experiments. Backup SysNAND regularly is a good idea anyway.

I've downgraded to 1.0.0 and possibly more or less all major versions for experiments.

Good luck and have fun!

RyanXx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not a big deal.
You can downgrade with manually installing CIA files with homebrew system updater (can downgrade as well) or CTRTransfer an old image to EmuNAND.

Also not really risky (if you make sure to *NOT* write to SysNAND). Backup SysNAND anyway before experiments. Backup SysNAND regularly is a good idea anyway.

I've downgraded to 1.0.0 and possibly more or less all major versions for experiments.

Good luck and have fun!
Is it even possible to create an emuNAND on the 3DS nowadays? I tried using EmuNAND9 but it doesn't seem to work anymore. I heard you could use GodMode9, but I coudn't find a tutorial anywhere.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is possible but there's not any updated tutorials anywhere since generally it's not recommended for anyone.

GodMode9 can format SD cards to create an EmuNAND (you should choose RedNAND unless you specifically need Gateway 3DS compatibility).

Be aware there is a limit to how far back you can go, I don't think there are NAND redirection patches for 3.0/2.x/1.x. If you really want to run these versions, it should be on SysNAND.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't see that option.
20240303_211321.jpg

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see that option.
Make sure you set up the RedNAND/EmuNAND fully. If it didn't copy the NAND over from SysNAND you need to do that yourself in GM9. I think you can just select "nand.bin" in [S:] SYSNAND VIRTUAL and restore it to EmuNAND.

RyanXx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure you set up the RedNAND/EmuNAND fully. If it didn't copy the NAND over from SysNAND you need to do that yourself in GM9. I think you can just select "nand.bin" in [S:] SYSNAND VIRTUAL and restore it to EmuNAND.
I checked in [E:] EMUNAND VIRTUAL and the nand.bin file is already there.

RyanXx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is always there, it doesn't determine if the NAND was fully set up.
I copied the nand.bin file from [S:] SYSNAND VIRTUAL to [E:] EMUNAND VIRTUAL and nothing still shows up in the Luma3DS config menu. Do I need a specific version of Luma for this to work?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto