Microsoft will debut an all-digital Xbox Series X refresh next year, according to leaked documents

brooklin.png

A new leak has let the cat out of the bag, when it comes to what new hardware Microsoft has in store. Regarding the ongoing Microsoft and FTC court battle over Activision Blizzard, some new classified documents have been leaked. While much of the court document was redacted, certain parts were mistakenly left available for public view, including detailed images and information about upcoming refreshes to the Xbox Series line of consoles.

The leaked roadmap shows that Microsoft plans on releasing a "slim" refresh of the Xbox Series X, with the working name of Project Brooklin. It'll boast more storage, a different physical design, better power usage, a new controller, and some improved internals over the original Xbox Series X. The system will also be digital only.

loPt4m6.png sebile.png stats.png

Project Sebile is the codename for the updated Xbox controller, which sees Bluetooth 5.2, a rechargeable battery, modular thumbstick, and an accelerometer, among other things. Also noted within the document is a "Project Ellewood", which will be a 1TB console, with a retail price of $299.99, presumably the upgraded version of the Xbox Series S, featuring more storage, better Wi-Fi, and reduced power consumption. Additionally, "Edith", another codename for what appears to be the Xbox Series S, will be priced at $199 for Black Friday to push sales for the older system. Meanwhile, Microsoft plans to announce the "end of life" for Starkville, though it's not specified for what system that may be.

time.png

While things may change, and the document might be out of date by now, as it was originally shown to the FTC in October 2022, the graph shows that Microsoft plans on releasing the new Xbox controller sometime in May or June of 2024, with the announcement of both Project Ellewood and Brooklin to follow shortly after. An actual release timeframe for the Xbox Series S refresh is set for the end of August 2024, and the Xbox Series X refresh to follow shortly at the end of October 2024.

:arrow: Source

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Will the rumoured Switch 2 be the only console to still have physical games, or is this the end of an era?
Post automatically merged:

Apart from downloading ROMs and the like, anyway, but not every game will be fortunate enough to be backed up - which is unfortunate for us.
Nintendo being Nintendo, they are not only a japanese company. They are a company from Kyoto. They probably still use fax machines in their offices and will stick with the old way until they are forced to do.

sith

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Chary , you figured out "edith", but couldn't deduce that Starkville is the current Series X? They eol the "edith" series s with discounts before the new 1tb series s, so make sense that they'll eol the current series x "Starkville" before "brooklin", NO?

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow! Microsoft force gaming hardware to digital only right now!

What a very bad move!

That's why I refuse support Microsoft anymore. I'm glad never own any Xbox consoles for myself. Few of my cousins had Xbox consoles but sad news then all Xbox consoles will end up in e-recycle. RIP Xbox consoles.

If what happened if Sony and Nintendo force gaming consoles to digital only then I have right to cut off support and refuse give my money for companies in near future then I can rest on gaming PC computers forever.

Digital only of gaming consoles are very bad and total catastrophic! :(

RIP digital gaming consoles.

If we're being honest, Sony isn't helping much on that front either, since they already have an all-digital version of their condole. Plus, game publishers have already demonstrated that they're willing to embrace a non-physical world, between forcing developers to release broken games and the recent start of only having the disk connect to an online storefront to download the actual game content. Plus, it's not like indie games usually get a physical version. Let's also not forget how obsolete optical media is when it comes to load times and how easy it is to damage it, and yet neither Sony nor Microsoft want to try developing a better solution. People don't talk enough about how that alone is kind of pushing physical games out the door. Let's face it, physical media is largely dead, be it in music, movies or software and games.

AndorfRequissa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
who even leaks this are just people dont give a shi.. about NDA anymore or what? how come nowadays everything in game industry just leaks?
alot of times it is the gaming companies themselves nowadays to generate hype or test the reaction before making it official. if they get tons of flack they just say we dont know what you are talking about this doesnt exist. theres tons of gaming products that have been made that never saw the public because of "leaks" or mishype from info that shouldnt have been shared that was done internally. the reasons most the time are never known but theres usually enough to make a credible guess if it was unhappy internal leak or a planned internal leak or someone got hacked leak.

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If we're being honest, Sony isn't helping much on that front either, since they already have an all-digital version of their condole. Plus, game publishers have already demonstrated that they're willing to embrace a non-physical world, between forcing developers to release broken games and the recent start of only having the disk connect to an online storefront to download the actual game content. Plus, it's not like indie games usually get a physical version. Let's also not forget how obsolete optical media is when it comes to load times and how easy it is to damage it, and yet neither Sony nor Microsoft want to try developing a better solution. People don't talk enough about how that alone is kind of pushing physical games out the door. Let's face it, physical media is largely dead, be it in music, movies or software and games.
Yeah, last generation use optical media completely were 6th generation aka PS2 and original Xbox since 7th generation (exception of Wii) and onward start to require HDD and installation, make physical media looks like less useful, exception of allow trade and sell.

and yeah, you are right about broken games on physical media and they require day one patch with very bigger size.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ignoring the trashcan, the controller sounds too good to be true, hitting all the boxes, and gyro as well?
Can't see that getting support given how late this is being released
I see accelerometer but no gyro.

Cuz bro if it has gyro and swappable battery then it's the perfect controller that's all I've been asking for a new xbox controller

I do hope they add gyro support in xinput so games can implement that and console shooters get playable

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't understand what does « XDL » means tho in the graph.

What does Uther and Igraine mean ? Next revisions of the stuff they haven't officially announced yet ?

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
If you can't play cracked games on it, it won't be getting bought. I'd rather just buy a gaming PC TBH as at least you get decent games for those on a regular basis. Plus all the other benefits you can use a proper computer for. On the other hand, if it's cracked - yep I'll consider buying it.

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If they actually do plan to release that 2013 Mac Pro lookin' ass refresh of the Series X, they should keep the original model as an option (maybe make it cheaper too) because obviously not everyone will be willing to switch to all digital.

The Series S refresh is fine, in fact we've kind of already seen a glimpse of it with that black 1TB model.

That controller... looks fine? And very odd at the same time? Making everything closer together seems like an odd choice, but if the ergonomics are fine then it's fine. I don't know if glossy plastic is the right move though...

Then again. Most of the people in this thread don't really note that this document was made a year and a half ago, so plans may have changed since, in fact Phil himself has said the cloud device they were working on has been shelved, and that cloud device can be seen in the document. So at least some things have already been changed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste