Microsoft is now suspending users who use Retail Mode emulators on their Xbox consoles

xbawks.png

After a short-lived return, it appears as though Microsoft has put an end to running emulators on Xbox Series X|S consoles via retail mode for good. The developers behind UWeaPons, the workaround to loading emulators on Xbox's Retail Mode, had their consoles permanently banned by Microsoft. Additionally, users caught using UWeaPons on their system are receiving 15-day suspensions. It's now recommended that if you installed any retail mode emulators, you remove them from your console.

:arrow: Source

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh they were charging for amulation? serves them right mic stopped them than

Yea that was the team's entire motivation.

Want UWP emulators in retail mode? Don't want to pay for Dev Mode? "Support" our Patreon for $2, the "reward" is a download link."

I take MS's stance as "Want emulation? Pay our $20 Dev mode fee. Oh, you got emulation running for free? Ban Hammer."

Like seriously, $20 isn't much to ask for the right to use emulators and homebrew, even if it is restricted to dev mode.

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
I like how most of this reply section has completely forgotten that Dev Mode exists.
Nope. Most of this reply section wants free shit. Dev mode for emulation on Xbox has been known since Xbox One, but Retroarch on Retail mode opened the doors to - basically - free shit.

It's the reason why i have no respect for most of the emulation audience you can find on the internet, moreso in sites like this one that forbids explicit piracy talk but allows the backup euphemism.

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dev Mode and the required Partner account have been available for free before. Is this not 'free shit'?

I wonder what goes through peoples heads that want free stuff but then pay for access through a Patreon.

locker[1].JPG

Reactions: Subtle Demise

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
after i got my dev mode access, i never looked at retail mode anymore.

Unless you want to play online, use gamepass or play your own purchased games

of course i still got my gamepass, bought my games too.

Wait you can do all that in dev mode?

no, that was for retail stuff. dev mode won't let you do that.

LMFAO! Wait. I thought you never looked at retail mode anymore. :lol:

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
The message from the xbox sales team is clear: they see emulation as a threat to game sells.

I wonder why they are not using the old MS motto of embrace, extend, extinguish.

They will never win at emulation by banning emulators on their platforms. Nintendo is learning slowly but learning overall. Don't be stupid.

Reactions: Snintendog

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as modded warfare said in a video about them originally cutting off access to dev mode, they'll get burned baddly cause for one people will less likely sell exploits to them and just release them dev mode was ingenious to give out to the masses not only for emulators but to honestly for it's somewhat intended purpose to get people interested in coding games and apps now if only MS went a step further and made another MS store (server), to get other peoples homebrew (pretty sure emulators won't be on but games and apps that don't compromise security will)

lucasdaolio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This "tug of war" is really annoying.
If they are going to restrict the use at least leave it open to refund for people who are buying the license just for that.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
This "tug of war" is really annoying.
If they are going to restrict the use at least leave it open to refund for people who are buying the license just for that.

This is not a restriction on dev mode. This is retail mode which was free. Microsoft does not care what you do in dev mode

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
This is just the ammunition that's needed for hackers to take aim and finally crack the xbox one/series consoles and open it up to piracy and homebrew.

White hat hackers aren't going to help. Anybody exploiting this loophole is 99% certainly a pirate. (if you've rigged up an adapter and drivers to rip your own cartridges to an Xbox, I apologize.)

n00bsaib0t

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Were you guys all reacting like this when Sony patched running unsigned code out of official 1.5 firmware PSPs? Like my god, running stuff like this quite obviously leads to full retail released games being side loaded and running, of course things like this are removed. Sega changed the disc drive in the Dreamcast because of this kind of thing as well. "I just wanted to run NESterDC! Sega are a bunch of greedy corporate bastards!" meanwhile someone else burned a copy of Sonic Adventure 2 instead of paying for it. Of course the final run of Dreamcasts fixed it. Microsoft is trying to sell OG Xbox games on their storefront and you're all pretending being able to play the PS2 or GC versions of those games, isn't some kind of big deal. Microsoft is trying to sell 360 games on their storefront and you're all pretending that Xenia on Xbox Series consoles isn't some kind of big deal, being purposely obtuse with examples of people opting to play Ice Climbers instead of acknowledging that most people doing this would be more along the lines of loading up the GC version of Time Splitters instead of buying the OG Xbox version off the marketplace. No, I refuse to believe you're all actually that dumb. I have more basic respect for you all than to think that. You're intentionally misrepresenting what happened here, and this was obviously the only thing that was ever going to happen.

Either pay for dev mode, mod a console that can be modded, connect an old laptop to your TV, buy a Steam Deck, or something else if you want emulators like the rest of us do. No one here is saying don't emulate old games.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What kind of world we live in, where we can't do what we want with our stuff that we paid good money for? :wtf:

Where we can buy a knife but if we go round stabbing people with it we get let of, BUT WE PAID FOR THE KNIFE!!!!!

MAKE UP YOUR MIND, MICROSOFT! Support hackers, yes or no? :wacko:
No, it's always been no.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Probably because the game cover looks like it's meant for little kids