Hacking microsdXC not working Switch 2.0.0

ddrrmm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We all know we can update, the point is there is no reason to 'yet'. Nothing has been added, nothing. 2.1.0 is exactly the same as 2.0.0. Everything works exactly the same, eshop, online, functionality, everything.

We can update any time we want, when eshop doesn't work=update. When features are added=update. When a game requires it=update. We can happily skip 2..1.0 completely when updates actually start adding to the experience.

Somebody give me one good reason to update right now and I would but "May as well" is not a good reason to update.

nobody said "may as well update".
my post was to illustrate that 2.0 is not the holy grail (in comparison to 2.1) as some people are making it out to be. Which I think is important for people to know.

Last edited by ddrrmm,

panther666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
nobody said "may as well update".
my post was to illustrate that 2.0 is not the holy grail (in comparison to 2.1) as some people are making it out to be. Which I think is important for people to know.

2.1.0 closed pegaswitch and possible entrypoint.
Why are you so sure that after 1 year of searching (theoretically for example) people will not be able to use this entrypoint on this firmware (2.0.0)?
Especially, if you do not participate in the development...

TheRedfox

blep
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I got a 128GB microSD so it's surely exFAT, is exFAT faster than FAT32? If so what's the speed difference? I left it as it is and updated, hopefully I'm not missing out (but by the looks of it exFAT is better cause it sounds cooler :creep:).

Being able to store files bigger than 4GB and better reliability.
Ever had a FAT32 FS crapping itself after something went wrong? It isn't fun, i can promise

panther666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Being able to store files bigger than 4GB and better reliability.
Ever had a FAT32 FS crapping itself after something went wrong? It isn't fun, i can promise

I think it have no difference for switch because smaller cards 16-32 console format into fat32, not in exfat...

TheRedfox

blep
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think it have no difference for switch because smaller cards 16-32 console format into fat32, not in exfat...
You can format them in exfat; they just don't come with a better filesystem because sdcard manufacturers would have to pay more licensing fees. And compatibility reasons ofc; people expect HC cards to work in every device.

D

Deleted User

, fixes a Webkit exploit,
Denied and proven false many times and yet people still spread this shit.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

2.1.0 closed pegaswitch and possible entrypoint.
Why are you so sure that after 1 year of searching (theoretically for example) people will not be able to use this entrypoint on this firmware (2.0.0)?
Especially, if you do not participate in the development...
*sigh* Sure because if there's a update, it will patch every hole out there.
Later or not, we'll get that damn homebrew on newer firmwares. Sure, if you want to miss cool eShop games and stuff then go ahead :/

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
One question regarding SD cards on the switch.
Does the Switch format the SD to a proprietary format like the Wii U did for USBs?
Or can you still use your SD normally in your PC?

D

Deleted User

One question regarding SD cards on the switch.
Does the Switch format the SD to a proprietary format like the Wii U did for USBs?
Or can you still use your SD normally in your PC?
You can use it on PC but every data from Switch will be encrypted.

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Denied and proven false many times and yet people still spread this shit.

Where and when? Please make me mentally stronger instead of just being a dick about it. I was talking about PegaSwitch. I thought somebody on the team tweeted that the exploit they used was fixed in system version 2.1.0 and to stay on 2.0.0 if you want to use PegaSwitch. I have no need for PegaSwitch but, as far as I can tell, there is nothing in 2.1.0 that would enhance my experience. As soon as there's an update that adds meaningful features I'll update. Then going forward I'll keep blocking updates until another update that benefits me more than Nintendo comes out.

*sigh* Sure because if there's a update, it will patch every hole out there.
Later or not, we'll get that damn homebrew on newer firmwares. Sure, if you want to miss cool eShop games and stuff then go ahead :/

Straw man. He wasn't sugesting that updating would fix every possible exploit. However, it fixes at least one (unless it's been denied, proven false) and doesn't do shit to enhance my experience. That's a net loss. Staying on 2.0.0 doesn't negatively affect you right now. eShop works fine.

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, the exFAT update is so super minimal and easy that there is literally no reason not to do it. Second, any true homebrew support is going to come much much later and refusing to update now just means you'll find yourself being forced to upgrade very soon when some game or other comes out and requires it that you want to play. Any exploits right now are going to be much too minimal to be of any real use unless you want to basically just not even actually own your own Switch. (Seriously, if you want to keep one never updated you need to just go buy another so you can actually use the equipment you paid for because otherwise you're going to end up with it just lying around on a shelf gathering dust doing nothing for about two years in reality and then you'll take it out and update it so you can use a modern exploit...)

But more importantly, since you're pretty determined here to pretend you'll have real homebrew if you're stubborn enough to hold to an old version, when (not if. When.) you have to update to a modern filesystem that supports things like large files among other things, you'll suddenly find you must manually move a humongous amount of data off of the card onto your PC, format, and then move it all back over again (which also means you'll need enough free space.) If the 3DS is any indicator here, I can assure you that you'll be looking at a process of several hours probably. If you're lucky. Nintendo isn't afraid to use an inordinate amount of very tiny files. And, of course, if you're using an external drive or something you can probably count on a bit more latency added each time slowing the process even more. I'm sure someone will throw in something large because, well, why not, but the general policy basically makes transferring data from one card to another or reformatting such an incredible pain in the rear you really kind of want to only have to do this once. I'd be willing to bet the Switch is actually going to be even worse about it compared to the 3DS as games use much more data which probably isn't likely to result in simply using larger files. (Actually, combined data files don't have much of an advantage on a solid state storage medium -- it's actually more work if anything. So keeping data separate is actually advantageous in a medium with effectively zero seek latency.)

Honestly, right now the only value of any sort of hacks and exploits isn't even for us. The real value of such things is for those who actually do the hacking to use this to get into the system and learn its inner workings early on. This won't do you any good right now, but it will mean that true hacks come sooner rather than later. We're probably still looking at a year or two before it gets hacks that are actually worth using. This is not the Wii/Wii-U. This is a different system that works in a different way and will have to be hacked differently.

i want a big sd card but they are so damn overpriced
Er, no they're not. You're looking in places like Amazon, right? If you go to a local retailer you'll get ripped off unless you get an uber-cheap low quality generic (and even then the price is still a bit ridiculous) but on Amazon you can get a 128GB for $40 or so. That's 34 cents per gigabyte... It's cheaper for smaller, but I'm guesstimating that 128GB will, in the long run, be about the optimal size for the Switch.

Last edited by Nazosan,

gundamu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
128gb is small when games 10-50gb bro..

i bought a 200gb scandisk card for my switch and it was 100(shitty canadian dollar)

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any reason to assume they'll be that large? Ok, a few on the Wii-U are as much as 15GB or so with very rare few approaching 20 according to some quick googling (I don't have a Wii-U, much less any sort of hacks for one) but it looks like your average is going to be far far less. What's more, Nintendo wouldn't be silly enough to assume everyone will be buying huge cards. They gave it a semi-decent internal storage of 32GB (a very fast 32GB apparently even -- faster than their MicroSDXC interface apparently) so realistically they would want developers to aim for getting at least more than one to fit in that. Remember, you won't be dealing with optical discs here. It's either cartridges or digital downloads and they know a lot of people will be aiming for digital downloads. I'd bet good money here that they are making it a key point to devs to optimize games.

Actually, this brings up a reminder of people talking about Breath of the Wild via emulation. Someone has managed to get it to render at 4K and the first complaint was that the textures were too low resolution so had to be modified to be sharper and etc for the higher resolution rendering. Given that your typical games likely won't be able to render at 1080p (in fact, Breath of the Wild's 900p max seems unrealistic given that even it struggles at times) it sort of makes sense for devs not to go too wild the moment storage is actually an issue. (Plus in portable mode it's 720p max since that's the resolution of the screen.)

Last edited by Nazosan,

gundamu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is there any reason to assume they'll be that large? Ok, a few on the Wii-U are as much as 15GB or so with very rare few approaching 20 according to some quick googling (I don't have a Wii-U, much less any sort of hacks for one) but it looks like your average is going to be far far less. What's more, Nintendo wouldn't be silly enough to assume everyone will be buying huge cards. They gave it a semi-decent internal storage of 32GB (a very fast 32GB apparently even -- faster than their MicroSDXC interface apparently) so realistically they would want developers to aim for getting at least more than one to fit in that. Remember, you won't be dealing with optical discs here. It's either cartridges or digital downloads and they know a lot of people will be aiming for digital downloads. I'd bet good money here that they are making it a key point to devs to optimize games.

32 is nothing in a day where people actually buy digital. zelda is somewhere between 11-17gb i think, there goes a big portion of in-built storage. then you got save data/system updates and multimedia app they plan to add later

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It says 13.6GB in the eShop. The updates so far are less than 200MB (assuming nothing would be overwritten. I have the cartridge of this game and will be digital on everything else.) My suspicion is that's about typical of a large scale game for this thing with 20 probably being about the outset of what you can really expect. But I will admit that it is early to tell right now and we shouldn't assume too much yet I suppose. Bear in mind a huge number of games are going to be a lot smaller though. Many will be in the hundreds of megabytes range (with a rare few actually being in the tens.) The average isn't going to be nearly in the "10-50 range." Those are going to be the outliers. This is just how software like this works... The question will be how many more of those sorts you'd be installing versus smaller sorts and that depends a lot on the player and what's out there.

Last edited by Nazosan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @light27, I own a dsi and a ps3