Hacking MicroSD Class 4 or 10 for a R4i Gold RTS flashcart?

DSpider

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Hi.

I was thinking of purchasing a Kingston 8GB Class 4 microSD card, since it's pretty cheap now.

Class 4 = 4 MB/s
Class 10 = 10 MB/s

Would a Class 10 card make any (in-game) difference? The USB transfer rates would be better, surely, but what about the games themselves? Would there be any framerate issues, loading issues (e.g. longer loading times, etc) if I were to go with a Class 4 card instead?

Last edited by DSpider,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
No.
Because, Class 4 cards have a read speed of about 13MB/s (could vary depending on card, but it's well above 10MB/s on average), as read is always faster than write. I don't think DS flashcarts can take advantage of UHS-I speeds, so even if you got a class 10 with 90mb/s read you wouldn't see much difference in load speed, if any.
Read speed used to be an issue with certain games before SDHC came out, when it came out it solved all of those issues.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd just make sure to get a decent quality one, like from SanDisk. Some crappier SDHC cards do have issues with certain games, though any modern SDHC card shouldn't have that issue.

arcangelnew

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have 2 cards both sdhc, one is class 4 and the other 10, but the gameplay is the same, the difference is when you had a lot of games when browsing them the page refresh faster while you browse with the calss 10, secially if you have very big games like pokemon

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one