Michel Ancel finds "lost" Rayman SNES game

image.jpeg

Michel Ancel, creator of the platforming game series Rayman, has found a lost relic of the 1990s: A prototype of Rayman for the Super Nintendo. Deemed lost by the development team for 24 years, Ancel rediscovered it and posted a picture of it running on a European Super Nintendo on his Instagram feed.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
It's working !!!! 4 people in the world have seen this . We thought it was lost , but somewhere in the cold electronic circuit , something was still alive . and running at full 60fps !!! should do a Switch version of this

We have found the old unique Rayman SNES ROM !!!! It was sleeping for 24 years ..... Time to wake it up !!!!
According to Unseen64, a site dedicated to betas and unreleased games, Rayman was initially developed for the Super Nintendo, but when the CD-based technology of the Sony PlayStation launched, development moved to it. Rayman SNES was also set to have a 2 player co-op feature and the story was to star an 11 year old boy named Jimmy.
:arrow: Source

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
It's a great analogy as the value of a lambourghini is not just the sum cost of it's raw materials. Would it make you happier if I said "sell everyone a lambourghini for the cost of the raw materials"? Sure they would need to pay the wages of the staff and R&D, but the Rayman Snes developers were paid too and you still want their efforts for free.

Why would you think they would do that? They don't give you old games that they no longer sell and there are good business reasons for them not to give you them.

This rayman game is a physical object and it's value is purely based on you not having it.
its really not a good analogy, a car has a real world function, if you said "lambourghini give the blueprints for that old car that was never completed and was made 30 years ago and barely functions so they can build it for themselves".....then sure maybe it would be a bit better of an analogy

sure i guess it does have a real value to someone who wants to keep it secret for the sole purpose of it being valuable an....but then i dont really think too highly of those guys

you can be sure this will be little more than a glorified tech demo, as much as it would be good to see, imho it has zero value if its just going to be kept secret in some seedy basement :creep:

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: samcambolt270

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
sure i guess it does have a real value to someone who wants to keep it secret for the sole purpose of it being valuable an....but then i dont really think too highly of those guys

You may think differently if you were in his position.

you can be sure this will be little more than a glorified tech demo, as much as it would be good to see, imho it has zero value if its just going to be kept secret in some seedy basement :creep:

Who was thinking of ray man before this announcement? Now you're obsessed with ray man and it's impossible to put a value on that.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
so its worth nothing :creep:

No, "impossible to put a value on something" doesn't mean it's worth nothing. It means the complete opposite.

I doubt they have enough money to buy the amount of publicity this has gained them, and will continue to gain them every time they show it off. Once every spotty teenager in the world has it, then it loses that value.

But of course it doesn't fit the "I must have fr333 g4m3zz dud3!!!!!!!1" mentality, so I expect you won't get it.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
so it's worth everything then? the entire world galaxy and universe and all its contents should be handed over to our new ruler because he has a glorified tech demo of some game that was kinda popular once upon a time.....nice to know

some people hold these things in way too much regard, that is my point it has no value but the perceived value that people put on it, the same as everything else and I already acknowledged it was worth what some random guy feels like shelling out for it, but to me it's not worth all that much at all....feel free to be sad that I don't hold it on the same pedistal as you do by all means but to me it has no value at all being kept secret either

and no its nothing to do with grrr I want fr33 games, I have lots of games, I just don't agree with the mentality that old prototypes should be locked up and never seen by anyone just because until it's displayed it has a insurmountable imaginary value and my original post even said it would be cool if they sold a collection of betas on a rare replay style setup so everyone can legitimately buy the ability to play them and dev get some money back for their work....but sure try paint me as a "grrr me want a de 3 g4mez if that's what you want"....enjoy getting excited over schrodingers cats unopened box

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Chelsea_Fantasy

Someone who hates slow internet connections
Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
I will be clear about this:
A - Rayman SNES was never released, so...
B - Ubisoft never earned a single cent from it
C - If I where Ubisoft, I will:
C1 - Release it for Free like Volition did with "Saints Row" and get some free points as a "Company that cares about their consumer's nostalgy", or:
C2 - Release it in a "Collection Package" with all the old Rayman Classics (even a Digital Collection or even a limited SNES Cart edtion with all the others Rayman games on discs or carts, depending of the game) and get some points as a "Company that cares about their consumer's nostalgy AND LIKES TO MAKE MONEY FROM THE COLLECTOR'S CRAZYNESS".

Indeed, I like both options C1 and C2. In any of both cases I will get the game. As a collector, I prefeer C2.

Kourin

Touhou Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Damn, seeing this and Rare's numerous builds of Dreamie and Banjo Kazooie at different stages of development makes me wish devs were more inclined on ripping their prototypes and game builds for fans. Hell, I'd pay money for this.

I hope he posts a video at the very least.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
so it's worth everything then? the entire world galaxy and universe and all its contents should be handed over to our new ruler because he has a glorified tech demo of some game that was kinda popular once upon a time.....nice to know

It seems everything with you is black and white. When someone doesn't want to sell something because they have other plans, then value becomes abstract. Maybe they don't care about money and just like the idea of having something you want but can't have, I'm not sure what value you put on that kind of power.

feel free to be sad that I don't hold it on the same pedistal as you do by all means but to me it has no value at all being kept secret either

I don't hold it on a pedestal, but this has happened so many times before that it's obvious how it plays out. It had no value when it was secret, but now it's not a secret anymore. It's only value to the owner is if you don't have it. People generally don't give things away that have some value.

I just don't agree with the mentality that old prototypes should be locked up and never seen by anyone just because until it's displayed it has a insurmountable imaginary value and my original post even said it would be cool if they sold a collection of betas on a rare replay style setup so everyone can legitimately buy the ability to play them and dev get some money back for their work....but sure try paint me as a "grrr me want a de 3 g4mez if that's what you want"....enjoy getting excited over schrodingers cats unopened box

It's likely that this was a marketing stunt and they'll parade it round again if there was enough excitement for them to make a new game. Then you'll get a chance to give them money.

Good luck with getting angry because someone doesn't do what you want them to do. You can think of that while I'm out with your girlfriend, it's not like it would cost you any money.

Last edited by smf,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.