Hacking Others Mega Drive/ Genesis Sprite Editor (is there better than hard tool?)

ImmortalFlamix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi folks! I'm a fan of Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. Also, I'm using Gens KMod to debug and ripped the sprites to export a bmp, and look at the hard sprites!

sniper.png

It's too complicated for me to make a new sprite of Koopa Troopa, Spongebob, Toon Link, or, etc. to replace all the original 13 different badnick characters on Dr. Robotnik Mean Bean Machine, and I don't know how to find the specified tool easy, although I tried many times to search all sites, but I can't find still not the easiest way! Because I so want to make a unique hack! It makes me a lifeful to hack sprites myself for whatever I want, it's like I feel desire every time, but if there's just a simple tool. Just for an example!

EASY TOOL FOR SEGA MEGA DRIVE IF IT'S EXIST OR NOT?
1. Extracting an original sprite to export the bmp file, so I can easily replace all the original characters after editing!
2. Gimp/Photoshop or Paint.net to choose any image file from Spongebob, Koopa Troopa or etc... to replace an original character.
3. Import the modified sprite into the original sprite.
4. And that's it!

Is easy specified tool exist?

If it's still a very hard tool, I can't do myself, but maybe if someone can handle of it? But don't worry, I won't force you!

I saw on YouTube Video that I wonder how this guy who made this import into the original character?

HHHHI.png

IIIUI.png

Well, thank you very much!
Bye now...and feel free to answer.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't have any personal recommendations, but have a look on romhacking.net for sprite editors, ones targeting old consoles in general if not MD in particular should be able to deal with that kind of image tiling.

Idk if @FAST6191 has seen this thread but he often has a plethora of relevant links on hand.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
The only utilities I'm aware of are, but I don't know if they'll be useful:
http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Hacking_Utilities

Maybe ask on the forums there if the site is still active.

One thing to note is that whilst exporting the sprites from VRAM is easy, putting them into ROM may be more difficult e.g. compression, colour pallets, offsets, etc.

On a side note, I found someone has decompiled it, don't know if this will be useful:
https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?threads/dr-robotniks-mean-bean-machine-disassembly.40427/

ImmortalFlamix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm trying to use “Neto Assembler Editor” to include “Dr.Robotnik Mean Bean Machine Disassembly” with a bunch of data folders like “artpuyo”, “artnem”, “mapeni”, etc… but I can't find this tool for the best tutorial to import modified sprites with a file into the original sprites?

Last edited by ImmortalFlamix,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsG-jJcrlr0