Magic Leap's First Headset Revealed (Finally)

magic leap one welcome.JPG

The super secretive startup Magic Leap has had it with teasing the general public and has finally revealed its headset to the public; enter Magic Leap One.

Updating their website today, Magic Leap showed to the world what it's been secretly cooking for years (hint: it does not come with a massive backpack) and has even announced to begin shipping its first product to developers in 2018.

hurmywqvqatr5fhr0tul.jpg

lightwear.JPG lightpack.JPG control.JPG

The Magic Leap One is a bundle of headset chock-full of cameras (the Lightwear), a belt pack (the Lightpack) and a controller à la Google DayDream.

So far it looks like another Augmented/Mixed Reality device like the Hololens. However, Rolling Stone's Brian Crecente sat down with Magic Leap creator, Rony Abovitz, for an exclusive hands-on experience of the device and interview, and according to the latter, what will set Magic Leap’s device apart from its competitiors is a larger field of view and a new way of rendering 3D objects to the eye using an artificial light field.

The presence of the Lightpack means that the device will run independently of any PC as the Lightpack itself is the engine that drives their platform. And that's where we should draw our attention to. On the official website, under "Platform Features", the device is touted to have an "integrated processing unit delivers high-fidelity, gaming-quality graphics, with the power and performance of a laptop computer. From editing an elaborate 3D model to playing a first-person shooter in your living room, Magic Leap One produces lightfield objects in intricate detail, all on a highly responsive, self-contained wearable." Well that could mean anything and nothing but in the Rolling Stone article, the writer points that "Abovitz declines to say what the GPU, CPU or other specs are of the headset, nor will he say what the battery life is."

Well, maybe we shouldn't be too concerned about the specs but more about the experience that the device has to offer. After all, it's coming from the company that made us all drool over this concept:

What do you think of Magic Leap's potential? Are you excited or still skeptical?

:arrow: SOURCE

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The concept video is from 2015 when they wanted to show people their idea but couldnt explain it.
If people bothered to read the description of the video there wouldnt be so much hate against it. Look at the other videos on Magic Leap's youtube channel.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

And it also bugs me that people are calling this AR when it is actually MR (Mixed Reality)

If they don't ship a working product within 2018, it will be Lying Reality.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Am I the only one disillusioned with touchscreens? They're a great invention, don't get me wrong, but the introduction of touchscreens spelled the death of buttons. Now every gadget people own is perpetually filthy and, contrary to what some people might think, putting buttons on the screen you're supposed to look at is not ideal unless you like obscuring it with grease and your own fingers. I sincerely miss d-pads and function buttons on phones, volume rockers are not enough.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Am I the only one disillusioned with touchscreens? They're a great invention, don't get me wrong, but the introduction of touchscreens spelled the death of buttons. Now every gadget people own is perpetually filthy and, contrary to some people might think, putting buttons on the screen you're supposed to look at is not ideal unless you like obscuring it with grease and your own fingers. I sincerely miss d-pads and function buttons on phones, volume rockers are not enough.

Mother of god yes.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only one disillusioned with touchscreens? They're a great invention, don't get me wrong, but the introduction of touchscreens spelled the death of buttons. Now every gadget people own is perpetually filthy and, contrary to some people might think, putting buttons on the screen you're supposed to look at is not ideal unless you like obscuring it with grease and your own fingers. I sincerely miss d-pads and function buttons on phones, volume rockers are not enough.
Preach!

For real, though. I agree.

Reactions: WhiteMaze

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Am I the only one disillusioned with touchscreens? They're a great invention, don't get me wrong, but the introduction of touchscreens spelled the death of buttons. Now every gadget people own is perpetually filthy and, contrary to what some people might think, putting buttons on the screen you're supposed to look at is not ideal unless you like obscuring it with grease and your own fingers. I sincerely miss d-pads and function buttons on phones, volume rockers are not enough.

This is the main reason I don't play games on my touchscreen-based devices. I totally enjoy better on a PSP, Vita, NDS, 3DS or alike. The feeling of rocking a button when playing can't be overcomed? by a "touch" feeling.

Reactions: Xzi

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Breath of the wild got delayed alot but everyone still loves it.

Indeed. It's a great game. A game good enough and with a history of successful past games that doesn't disappoint.

Can we say the same for this company?

By all means, I hope I am dead wrong. I hope they can not only ship next year, but have an amazing product.

However I highly doubt they will achieve expectations, especially with a video like that. Delivery date also seems completely ridiculous taking into account this "project" doesn't even have a working prototype yet.

So we will see.

As for me? I'm tired of fake projects that take advantage of crowdfunding like going on (kickstarter or indiegogo), or even doing it independently. Hiring a special effects and video editing team to produce a video and a proof of concept that is entirely fake, and serves only as a way to get people to open their wallets and create hype.

When truth comes to shove, most of the time these projects either never deliver, deliver a product that does nothing of what it was originally supposed to do, or simply disappear with everyone's money to the Bahamas.

Is it the case here? I don't know. However the red flags are there.

Last edited by WhiteMaze,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast