Gaming Luigi's Mansion vs. M&L Dream Team - Pick 1

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Getting two 3DS games at Christmas, and one is going to be LOZ-Link b/n Worlds. For the other game, I'm stuck deciding between Luigi's Mansion and M&L Dream Team. Which would you take? Yes, I've played Luigi's Mansion on GCN and I've played the Mario&Luigi series since GBA.

My concern with Mario&Luigi is that 1) I'm already going to have an RPG style game on my hands with Zelda, and 2) although the Mario&Luigi series is fun, I'm never in the mood to replay them, so basically it's one and done.

My concern with Luigi is that it might be really short, controls could be frustrating (though I'm not real sensitive to those type issues, I deal with it), and does it live up to the original or not?

Opinions appreciated. You could suggest something else too if you like. I already have Mario Kart, NSMB2, Animal Crossing, Layton, Pilotwings, SM3DLand, Paper Mario, Ocarina of Time, and Mario Tennis.

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
No, don't get Luigi's Mansion 2.
I am a fan of the first one too and i thought it was a good idea to get the second but it wasn't. Luigi's Mansion 2 is a big letdown(my opinion). Online is bad too.
Go for Dream Team if that's the only option, people say its a fantastic game.
Other suggestions? Hmmm, Dead or Alive Dimension is good(that's what other say, i ordered mine and waiting for it to come now) and Resident Evil Revelations is good too.
I liked Monster Hunter 3 too but its not for everybody.

Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dream Team is awesome, and plays similarly to Superstar Saga. The 3D is also very well-done, and Dream Team also has segments where you have to turn the 3DS sideways in order to fight certain bosses (everyone is super huge).

I don't know how many people you have talked to outside of this topic, but has anyone recommended Pokemon? It is actually pretty good, but 3D mode is limited to 1v1 battles, evolutions, egg hatching, trades, cutscenes, and certain key places.

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, not hard to see where this is going. Not surprising considering this is GBAtemp (and RPG's tend to be most popular), but surprising in that the reviews for Luigi's Mansion mostly rate the game as pretty good. Maybe someone will come to Luigi's defense?

As for the RE and MH3 suggestions, thanks. I have access to those games anytime I want to try them - my 21yo son. He also has Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei. Kinda funny that he's 21 and prefers the 'mature' games and I'm 46 and want ridiculous, colorful, Nintendo games.

As for Pokemon, I have poke-phobia. Always have, most likely always will. I was already 29 years old when Pokemon started and I just can't get into it. Imagine when you guys are 45 and your kids ask you why you never bought any Justin Bieber albums. It's like that.

Reactions: bowser

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll probably end up with both eventually. Just wondering which one others would pick first, particularly if they've played both.
I personally would say dream team because I loved it, it's super fantastic, can get annoying trying to some things but overall a great rpg with rich enchanting music as always.

P.s shouldn't it be Luigi's mansion OR M&L

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Wow, As for the RE and MH3 suggestions, thanks. I have access to those games anytime I want to try them - my 21yo son. He also has Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei. Kinda funny that he's 21 and prefers the 'mature' games and I'm 46 and want ridiculous, colorful, Nintendo games.
Well in that case the answer's clear. Dream Team it is!

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
It is a matter of do you want something that will constantly be funny or something that is funny but once or twice every hour. Luigi's Mansion took me around 10-15 hours while Dream Team took me around 30. If you want more bang for your buck I would go for Dream Team but if you want something to just curl up in your bed and laugh I would go with Luigi's Mansion.

fischermasamune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recommed Luigi's Mansion. I played 30~40 hours in Story Mode (there are many items to collect) and 60~70 online. The game is very fun.

Canadacdn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Luigi's Mansion, by far. The graphics and animation are excellent, and the new mission-based system is very satisfying and suitable for a portable game. The later levels tend to get a little repetitive, but overall it's a fantastic title imo. Dream Team suffers from excessive hand-holding (the tutorials go on for 7 hours), a very ugly art style, and a disappointing lack of truly "weird" scenarios you'd expect to see while exploring Luigi's mind.

eilan25

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
I'm gonna go a bit off topic as I haven't played Dream Team or Luigi's Mansion but I can whole-heatedly recommend Fire Emblem as it's one of the best games RPGs I've played in recent memory.
As a side note, if you want something colorful, Nintendo-y fun that is not an RPG you could try Kid Icarus! it's fantastic

MadButch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I finished both games, and enjoyed both a lot.
Dream team gave me much more playtime though, so that would get my vote

Hero-Link

Hero of Derrr
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
From those two?

Dream Team is the best pick, at least for now. It's a relatively big game (for a portable), although it's super great near the end it starts to get a little tedious as the zones get a little big and you do a LOT of fighting.

The 3D is just amazing, it really helps with the dodging / bros abilities!

yakka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I played Luigis mansion 1 on GC, I really enjoyed the way of playstyle. You had an gost family in there and every one had his tricks. One big house and so on.
In the second one you have to collect jewles all the time, always the same f***ing animations and sounds. Ghostvariation is not that great and overall it mad me pretty mad to play.
You did the right choice. Better skip Luigis Mansion2.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-