Gaming Looking for lesser known, awesome JRPG on 3ds,ds,gba,snes,psp

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Already got most known one's bravely default, pokemon etc.

Mostly looking for gems, that are maybe not as known, or even jap only and have been translated that may have slipped under the radar.

Like digimon digitize English patched.

Someone in chat advised me
Avalon Code
The world ends with you
archaic sealed heat

Which is a good start. Im trying to complete the collection I have and im a rpg(jrpg) whore.

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PSP: Fate/Extra(has a jp only sequel), 7th Dragon 2020(jp only), 7th Dragon 2020-II(jp only), Crimson Gem Saga, Jeanne D'Arc, Lunar: Silver Harmony, Trails in the Sky, Nayuta no Kiseki(literal google translate tier translation but its enough to understand the games whole story and the gameplay+soundtrack are something you don't want to miss out on), Riviera: the Promised Land, Z.H.P, Carnage Heart EXA

DS: Atelier Annie, Black Sigil , Contact, DQ Monsters: Joker 1&2, Etrian odyssey 3, Front Mission DS, Golden Sun 3, Knights in the Nightmare, the luminous arc games, Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer, Phantasy Star Zero, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Radiant Historia, Sands of Destruction, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, Suikoen Tierkris, the SRW OG sequel, tales of innocence(has an english patch), 7th Dragon(has an english patch), Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of Plume, Xenosaga 1+2(is jp only, 2 is from the perspective from a different character than the ps2 version and they both use the battle system from 1, also it should be noted that an enlish translation is in the works but its being done by a swamped translator and its been in the works for years so i wouldn't expect it this or even next year either)

3ds: Etrian Odyssey Untold: the Millennium Girl (a remake of the first game using gameplay elements and and the 3d engine introduced in the 4th game as well as a brand new optinal storymode), Etrian Odyssey Untold 2: the Fafnir Knight(remake of the 2nd game),Etrian Odyssey 4, Etrian Mystery Dungeon, Persona Q(persona made by the EO devs), Shin Megami Tensei IV(mainline SMT game, the SMT series is the less popuar parent series of the persona spinoffs focusing less on social aspects and more on RPG elements), Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner-Soul Hackers(localized remake of a sega saturn jp only title), Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked(remake of an nds title), Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 Break Record(remake of its sequel), Story of Seasons(literally a new harvest moon game by some of original team with a different name, the company making the harvest moon voxel based game is the other half, apparently both marvelus and natsume had diffrent ideas for the future of the series so they split up and while natsume kept the name marvelous got the devs), Tales of the Abyss,

GBA: Boktai series, Breath of Fire series, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Kids (or in the west Demikids made by atlus and very loosely based of the Shin Megami Tensei franchise, it also has two versions a dark and light one with two different storys, dark one has a darker and twisted story and light has a lighthearted and easier story, both have japan only sequels), Medabots AX, Medabots: Medabee, Robopon 2(this sequel to a gbc rpg is sorta like pokemon with robots and neat custimization options like changeing your partners parts, software, RAM etc), Shining Soul, Summon night series, the SRW OG games, Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis, ZoE: Fist of Mars

SNES: Lufia 2, Might and Magic book two, Terranigma, Illusion of Gaia, Secret of Evermore, Soul Blazer

I'm sure theres a ton I missed but I can't think of anything right now

Last edited by Daggot,

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wow your awesome. some of them I already knew, some not.
What do you mean with SRW OG sequel?
and Suikoen is suikoden?

Thanks seems I haven't missed any 3ds games so far.
GBA SRW OG games?

psp: Z.H.P??

Last edited by Chrisssj2,

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You missed Live A Live. Here: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/381/
I recommand, really.
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that game. I also forgot about The Last Ranker on PSP

and Suikoen is suikoden?

GBA SRW OG games?
and Suikoen is suikoden?

GBA SRW OG games?

I'm sorry I misspelled suikoden(I'm a bit tired)

Super Robot Wars or Super Robot Taisen is a series of SRPGs with giant robots that are usually on on every console/handheld the GBA has two English Super Robot Wars OG(Original Generation) games and the DS has another English (SRT OG saga: Endless Frontier i think?

ok now the 3ds has a few of those too but the only one i can remember is the upcoming SRW BX

Last edited by Daggot,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
for DS I will add :
Glory of Heracles : one of my best rpg on DS,
A Witch's Tale : nice but very repetitive. 7 worlds, 2 dungeons per world to unlock the boss, find items to unlock each dungeons, repeat until the end ..... it's not the end, repeat the game once more entirely in NewGame+ for the real end. (I stopped at the first end)
Wind of nostalgia : good but not extraordinary, nice classic RPG to play. I'm currently playing it.
My world, My way : funny at first, but boring (never completed it)
Black sigil : hard, and somewhat buggy... I never played a lot. I made a cheat for less random battles which might interest people.

That's the one I played which weren't listed above.
Of course, just look at Bortz's link for a full list of DS RPG.

Edit:
I completed the story for Wind of Nostalgia.
Took me 40H
there are still a lot of missions to do after the story, so it's a nice "replay" value, even if it's not really replay from the start you can still do things after beating the story.
one default : battle difficulty while in airship... really disproportioned compared to normal battles. you better use and abuse savestates before traveling!

Swing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhm wtf: Grand Knights History for PSP English Patch along with FF-Type-0 English Patch along with Valkyria Chronicles 3 ENGLISH PATCH. THOSE 3 SHOULD KEEP YOU HAPPY FOR 1000 HOURS

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Radiant Historia for the DS is probably the best RPG I ever played... and nobody knows it exists. You should really give this one a lot of priority. Everyone I recommended it to was like "why the fuck is this game unknown?"

loco365

Trophies
XP
You missed Live A Live. Here: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/381/
I recommand, really.
I've heard so much about that game, I really should get around to playing it.

If you're willing to also try the Famicom/NES, one Japan-exclusive RPG by Konami you should try is Mouryou Senki Madara, which also has an English translation. It has a fairly interesting story, but be warned that it has a very steep difficulty curve. That is, it's equivalent to a 90 degree angle at first.

Voltshock R

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the PSP, just as an add, Legend of Heroes. The Trails in the Sky is the most know(and was noted), but there are three other titles prior to this version. Tears of Vermillion, Prophecy of the MoonLight Witch, and Song Of the Ocean. These do not need to be played before to Trails in the Sky (I read they are of similar but different universe or something), BUT these three all connect together and are more fulfilling when done in certain order. Personal option, just do not play Song of the Ocean first. The battle system might turn some off (as it can be dull), but the story (through sometimes odd translation) is moving.
I see no mention of Rune Factory for the DS line, so add that in. It has 3 games on the DS and one (maybe upcoming other) for the 3DS. Harvest Moon + Pokemon + Legend of Zelda = Rune Factory. Company also made Avalon Code.
Gotta check the list above, I want to find DS RPGs too!!!!

MidLevelCrisis

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
On GBA dont forget Mother 3, it has been fully translated and is totally rad, you need a dstwo to really enjoy it though, unless you emulate on PC.

On DS there is a weird RPG game called CONTACT,
I have a boxed copy though it might be very hard to find one now. It uses 2 different art styles representing 2 different worlds, with you beeing the messenger between both. heres some footage.

Here on gbaTEMP you can find a english translation patch for the exellent Soma bringer.
What makes this game unique is its free real time combat, many classes/weapons to choose. gameplay is hack enslash diablo like, and 3 player local co-op, but you are free to roam the world individually, each completing a different quest. I reccomend this game if you have some friends with flash cards.

Magical starsign is exellent 2D RPG with a cool art style

7th Dragon is a more traditional RPG

SaGa2 Legend of the relics/Goddess of destiny This is also a fansubbed game, and a remake of the Gb game Final fantasy legend 2

On 3DS there is a straight port of the ps2 game Tales of the abbys,
Although the game isnt a hidden gem, I think the 3DS port went a bit under the radar, and you can probably find it cheap now. The 3d effect is a bit underwhelming, and the textures a tad too blurry, but it is a full tales game, and one of the better ones. I like it for its real time combat and 3D environments.

Also, this might be a bit of an oddball, but Mario & Luigi dream team is pretty interesting.
It drags on a bit, but the writing is exellent and funny, and the sound tracks for this game are just amazing! And it has some exellent sprite art. It features turn based timed combat mechanics
It recieved mostly lukewarm reviews and I think this game really deserves a bit more attention and was missed by a lot of people who might have enjoyed it. Also any of the Mario & Luigi RPG games from GBA to DS are exellent and humoruos, with bowsers inside story regarded as the best.

seriously, give your eardrums a treat with this

Personally I'm waiting for the translation of the best RPG mankind will ever know Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love, follow up to the critically acclaimed, Tingle's Rosey Rupee Land

Last edited by MidLevelCrisis,

Fire_Slasher

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I can deffo vouch for Contact as well, it gave me kind of a Earthbound feeling when playing it. Plus I just love small things like being able to take a bath to recover HP and other small things that make me feel like I am in the game's World.

RichHomieSupreme

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To add onto the list I think final fantasy the 4 heroes of light is pretty good. The AP system is different in a good way and its alot of fun imo.

Iceman1800

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Persona 2 innocent sin for the psp it's a remake of a ps1 game it also has sequels and a new one is coming out for ps4 called persona 5

aqulue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
radiant historia is like one of the greatest game on the original nds.. you should give it a try..
on psp, you could try hexyz force..

Reactions: Fire_Slasher

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill