Lone Wolf: Caverns of Kalte

dan80315

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
On an Acekard 2i with AKAIO 1.7, the first two books load fine, but Caverns doesn't (though I can soft-reset back to the AKAIO firmware).

I can't soft-reset in FOTW with IRQ hook (makes it freeze), though I can with SWI.

FFTD works with both seft-reset methods.
I can vouch to that.

Running AK2.1 with AKAIO 1.7 and the first two books work except for Caverns. As soon as I launch Caverns.nds it brings up the "Press L for left handed... etc" screen and when I touch it to continue it just goes completely black and in some cases briefly shows the "loading" screen and again, goes black.

This is a great piece of homebrew you have here, one of the best I've seen with great quality as well. I hope I can get to play the third book. Thank you for this great read/game experience.

Michoko

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.projectaon.org
XP
Country
France
thegreatace said:
OK I'll try that out hopefully it wil work, maybe i missed that.

keep you posted..

edit: your right, this did work, i just didn't save my last file on accident.

absolutely fantastic, keep up the great work!
maybe you could do a few more books like this!
i bet people would pay ya for this as a actual ds release.
i know i would hehe ^^

Hehe, glad you made it work. BTW, you can already donate to the project here if you want to support me. Any donation will be greatly appreciated.
wink.gif

For the other issues mentioned here, that's a bummer. That's strange the older development environment works better than the new one... I'll try to switch to another library for handling the files ystem, and see if it fixes the issue. I'll keep you informed. Please, if you want to help me testing this, can you PM me? I'll then send you a modified version when it's ready.

Cheers!
Frédéric

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
so after doing some more testing, i narrowed down my problem getting this running to the fact that i had my 3in1+ inserted.
Removing that sucker alleviated all my booting problems, and its runs fine on r4, ak2, akRPG, and my DSTWO =D

thank you Michoko for helping me figure out what was up!

time to go play now =)

Michoko

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.projectaon.org
XP
Country
France
Ok great!

So far, the crashes reports I got were:
- AK2 + Akaio 1.7 (from dan80315): it seems it was a bug in Palib's initialization sequence. It will be fixed in version 1.0.

- VatoLoco's issue was related to his 3in1+ cart.

- Some people have issues with vB3 of CycloDS firmware, but a bug in this firmware has been identified and prevents many homebrews to run.

Well, it seems to get progressively sorted. Please if you are still experiencing crashes, tell me. I'm still considering reverting to my old development environment, by that would be a step backwards. So I hope to fix things without having to do it.

Thank you !
smile.gif

quartercast

Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Another World said:
you would think with a static "book" project that there would be no bugs at all.

Why? The back end is still coded by a human being. It sounds like you haven't played it in a long time, I just played through the first 2 books and encountered (hah) no bugs.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
does palib use nitroFS? i know that that file system has issues when the 3in1 is inserted. every homebrew i've used that uses nitroFS will fail to load if my 3in1 is inserted. vato has been around on IRC when i've debugged and found that removing the 3in1 fixes the problem. its an annoyance =(

QUOTE said:
Why? The back end is still coded by a human being. It sounds like you haven't played it in a long time, I just played through the first 2 books and encountered (hah) no bugs.

why do people always quote me out of context... i guess you love having (haha) 1 sided arguements.

start the fist book and the modifier is at -4, bug #1. when the book tells you to eat a meal, if you don't, the mail remains in your backpack, bug #2. i could go on and on like this but i'm waiting to make a report after i compile a complete list so that bugs can get fixed properly.

-another world

Michoko

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.projectaon.org
XP
Country
France
Another World said:
does palib use nitroFS? i know that that file system has issues when the 3in1 is inserted. every homebrew i've used that uses nitroFS will fail to load if my 3in1 is inserted. vato has been around on IRC when i've debugged and found that removing the 3in1 fixes the problem. its an annoyance =(

No, for now it uses EFSlib, but I was considering switching to NitroFS if it was enhancing compatibility. But for many users who don't have a recent linker/firmware, that would imply the use of HBmenu to launch it, which may not be the handiest way...

QUOTE said:
quartercastWhy? The back end is still coded by a human being. It sounds like you haven't played it in a long time, I just played through the first 2 books and encountered (hah) no bugs.
why do people always quote me out of context... i guess you love having (haha) 1 sided arguements.

start the fist book and the modifier is at -4, bug #1. when the book tells you to eat a meal, if you don't, the mail remains in your backpack, bug #2. i could go on and on like this but i'm waiting to make a report after i compile a complete list so that bugs can get fixed properly.

-another world

Well, maybe simply we don't have the same definition for what a "bug" is
wink.gif
. Because the 2 examples you mentioned are not, and are "working as intended"?. It is clearly expressed in the book rules that if you don't own a weapon, your Combat Skill modifier is -4 (see here). Also when the book tells that you are starving and must eat a meal, you are still free to do so or not. But if you don't, you'll see a message warning you that you will lose 3 endurance points when leaving the current section.
All this is far from a "static book", because the code handles many things. The source code of the game is more than 8,000 lines of code right now and I can tell you it's far more that just copying/pasting the text from a book.
wink.gif

Cheers
Frédéric

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
if you want to send some builds my way i'd be happy to test multiple filesystems on different flash linkers and report back.

Michoko said:
It is clearly expressed in the book rules that if you don't own a weapon, your Combat Skill modifier is -4 (see here).

at the time i had rolled a "0" for a broadsword, in my mind the modifier should have been left blank dynamically and not changed after you leave the page. however, you are right, that is a coding decision and perhaps not a "bug."

QUOTEAlso when the book tells that you are starving and must eat a meal, you are still free to do so or not. But if you don't, you'll see a message warning you that you will lose 3 endurance points when leaving the current section.

the page read something along the lines of "you are starving, eat a meal" and i did not eat one. i was not presented with a warning of losing endurance and i did not read one within the text itself. i can't tell you what page it was because i was playing the game to fall asleep and not to take debug notes =P.

-another world

pozda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
hello to everyone and thanks Frédéric for making this wonderful homebrew!

i have tried Caverns of Kalte on my M3DS Simply with different firmware and here are some results:

- R4 v1.18 - Stuck after choosing Kai Disciplines, when click choose equipment, screen freezes but music plays on, after loading previous character from FOTW after choosing save file i have black screen with music on

- YSMENU (latest) - Black screen after choosing FOTW character, Can play with completely new character

- Wood R4 1.09 - black screen after loading, when have multiple firmwares (R4, Ysmenu, wood r4) on cart it just shuts down my DSL

I'll play it on YSMENU but i would like to have my "old" character here if possible =)

and I'm just curious, since i can't make it work, if i had the Sommerswerd in FOTW in the end, do i have it here with old character?

Michoko

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.projectaon.org
XP
Country
France
pozda said:

i have tried Caverns of Kalte on my M3DS Simply with different firmware and here are some results:

- R4 v1.18 - Stuck after choosing Kai Disciplines, when click choose equipment, screen freezes but music plays on, after loading previous character from FOTW after choosing save file i have black screen with music on

- YSMENU (latest) - Black screen after choosing FOTW character, Can play with completely new character

- Wood R4 1.09 - black screen after loading, when have multiple firmwares (R4, Ysmenu, wood r4) on cart it just shuts down my DSL

I'll play it on YSMENU but i would like to have my "old" character here if possible =)

and I'm just curious, since i can't make it work, if i had the Sommerswerd in FOTW in the end, do i have it here with old character?

Hi Pozda,

Thanks for this complete report. I spent a few hours reverting back to my old development environment, since it was finally very stable. Sometimes there's no need to fix something which is not broken I guess
wink.gif

Hence the "Release Candidate" status of Caverns Of Kalte, since I wanted to know how the last version of Palib would behave on various linkers. In the final 1.0 release, it should work much better.

I'll send you a PM right now, with a link pointing to a test version using the stable SDK. If you are willing to help, I'd be curious to have your feedback with this version please?

(and yes, having the Sommerswerd at the end of book 2 will allow you to continue using it on book 3
wink.gif
)

Have fun!
Frédéric

pozda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Michoko said:
I'll send you a PM right now, with a link pointing to a test version using the stable SDK. If you are willing to help, I'd be curious to have your feedback with this version please?

i just tried it on m3ds simply using r4 system v1.18, YSMENU and wood r4 1.09 and it works perfectly, tried some places that stucked the game in RC version, here it is normal! Also tried new game with previous game save and without it, no problems at all!

works perfectly on the multisystem too (I was using R4v1.18 + YSMenu combo and Wood R4 1.09 + YSMenu combo)

* I tried to play on wood R4 via loader, but wood r4 loader (wood r4.nds) have issues with many games on my card, commercial and homebrew so i think its loader issue

to sum it up =)

test2 version you gave me works perfectly =)

Lumnous

Trophies
XP
Country
I have tried to run this with just the wood r4 latest release and it does a black screen straight after selecting the orientation. I am glad this is a RC because we can give them bugs and errors confirming which it works on at the moment.

Michoko

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.projectaon.org
XP
Country
France
pozda said:
Michoko said:
to sum it up =)

test2 version you gave me works perfectly =)

Ok thank you very much! So I think that tomorrow I'll release the final version of Caverns of Kalte. I'll also update all previous books with the current engine, so everything is up to date, and works on many linkers.

Have fun!
smile.gif

Frédéric

Lumnous

Trophies
XP
Country
Michoko said:
pozda said:

Hi Pozda,

Thanks for this complete report. I spent a few hours reverting back to my old development environment, since it was finally very stable. Sometimes there's no need to fix something which is not broken I guess
wink.gif

Hence the "Release Candidate" status of Caverns Of Kalte, since I wanted to know how the last version of Palib would behave on various linkers. In the final 1.0 release, it should work much better.

(and yes, having the Sommerswerd at the end of book 2 will allow you to continue using it on book 3
wink.gif
)

Have fun!
Frédéric
Theres a test2 version ? :wtf:

Lumnous

Trophies
XP
Country
Michoko said:
Only for private beta testing
wink.gif
The official version is about to be released though.
yayz! i cant wait its an awsome idea this. but..i gotta question after ^^; i see you can do that now, what if you try incorprate other companies books like..'Give yourself Goosebumps' i loved them series XD

n30995.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    some day the wind will blow so hard it'll rip in half
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I think in big inches
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @realtimesave Can you sew it back together? Or is it not worth trying.
    nah sewing it will make it come apart more :)
    that one is pretty old
    the one on my mercedes is a couple years old. these things don't last very long at all
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you near sea/salt water, or in general they just don't last. Sounds like if you driving a mercedes, you need a garage. I get snow n ice here so nothing worse than clearing that shit off at 6am rushing to get to work.
    I'm a few miles away from the salt water
    +1
    ya I would garage it if there was room in the garage for a car :|
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Immigrants took over your garage? I hate those
    swatters. Or is it Kilos waiting to be picked up by Carlos. Lol jk
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Too bad Hitler didn't make camps for immigrants oh wait
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Isn't the latest method for slim like self right?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Like a 1 wire mod?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still two wire with resistor if you don't count the 7 wire pc probes cause hardware likes a good probing
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    2 wires left on motherboard, 7 temp soldered to a flasher, then removed after flashed
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Technically don't even have to remove it could just keep it on
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't really mess with hard mods due to neuro issues
    I tried to get a slim on a black friday once, but they ran out of stock for the $100 one
    many ages ago
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can find them $50-75 nowdays if catch a deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still remember grabbing this ps4 slim on black Friday for $200 when the msrp was still around 300
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited