Hacking Loading Gamecube Games through USB Gecko? (Any Other Ideas)

crwys

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone wants a USB loader for gamecube games but it is somewhat not very possible since gamecube locks out the sd slot and usb slots on the wii. So what about loading games through the usb gecko from your computer to the wii? Usbgecko works through the GC slot so it wouldn't be locked out. I know this method probably won't work just because it seems too easy and simple for it to work. But a lot of people want to load their gamecube games through a usb loader like interface. So I figure I would through this idea out there.

crwys

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TRushInfo said:
this is GBAtemp, Ideas are stupid here. no matter how relevant they are

I would not rather argue with you on ideas when it is nothing related to the topic. Also there is very successful ideas if you just think hard enough on what was an idea and became very successful. Thanks for bumping the topic
laugh.gif

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd almost like to think it's possible, but I was one of the people who thought a patched mios could solve our problems. It just won't work until more research has been done on gamecube mode.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
crwys said:
Everyone wants a USB loader for gamecube games but it is somewhat not very possible since gamecube locks out the sd slot and usb slots on the wii. So what about loading games through the usb gecko from your computer to the wii? Usbgecko works through the GC slot so it wouldn't be locked out. I know this method probably won't work just because it seems too easy and simple for it to work.
Until here, the closest thing would be SD-Boot. Though, like the names says, only for the SDgecko. You can try to edit the source if you want, but I guess it's simply not possible...oh, and don't forget: Most people want GC USB-Loading for free, without to buy something. So even if this would happen, they would leave it, or buy a FlatMii/WODE, which are better.
Live with that. If you want GC-Loading from USB, buy a good ModChip, or leave it.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
You're all blind
tongue.gif

You already can load gamecube games through USB Gecko. The app is called USB-Boot i believe. It used to be available on tehskeen but that site is down so you'll have to look elsewhere if you want it.

The catch?

1. Games run really slow, slower than SD-Boot.
2. You need a USB Gecko, which isn't that cheap.

Enjoy fellas!

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Davess said:
As for the Gecko USB idea, Gamecube mode Shuts off most of the wii hardware, So I'd say no on that
frown.gif
An USB gecko is a small device that plugs into one of the GC memory card ports
So the shutdown of Wii hardware is no excuse there

Davess

On the list :D (Thanks Haflore)
Trophies
Website
www.daviddavid.webs.com
XP
Country
Canada
tj_cool said:
Davess said:
As for the Gecko USB idea, Gamecube mode Shuts off most of the wii hardware, So I'd say no on that
frown.gif
An USB gecko is a small device that plugs into one of the GC memory card ports
So the shutdown of Wii hardware is no excuse there
Sorry, My mistake
frown.gif

crwys

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OSW said:
You're all blind
tongue.gif

You already can load gamecube games through USB Gecko. The app is called USB-Boot i believe. It used to be available on tehskeen but that site is down so you'll have to look elsewhere if you want it.

The catch?

1. Games run really slow, slower than SD-Boot.
2. You need a USB Gecko, which isn't that cheap.

Enjoy fellas!

Thanks for the useful post, let the hunt begin for this file!

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I think i heard that the usb gecko is using usb2.0. Can someone confirm this? If that's true i wonder why its slower than gamecube disc reading, which is 3x(~4MB/s).

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
WiiPower said:
I think i heard that the usb gecko is using usb2.0. Can someone confirm this? If that's true i wonder why its slower than gamecube disc reading, which is 3x(~4MB/s).
Can the GC memory ports handle the speed of USB2.0 ?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
tj_cool said:
WiiPower said:
Can the GC memory ports handle the speed of USB2.0 ?

I don't know. But this would not explain why it's slower than reading with a sd gecko.

crwys

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe the code just needs to be updated/fixed? By that I mean the USB-Boot.dol and usb-boot.exe loading programs.

crwys

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm no coder, but if anyone wants to improve this I'm pretty sure emu_kidd would provide the source code if asked nicely.
wink.gif

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I just tried it. For me it does not do anything. Directly after starting you are prompted to press A. The wiimote disconnects and tapping A on the gamecube controller does nothing. And yes the gamecube controller works and is connected in slot 1.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
using the DVD dumper from nuke, i get a really constant 600KB/s. sometimes it spikes to 660kB/s.
i would assume that if the gecko could do faster, that he would have found a way.

another thought is to try to use linux. since windows is using the FTD or whatever its called driver. and in linux you can access the gecko directly. maybe the driver is the bottleneck here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Up