GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ninchya said:
I would recommand looking at bestbuy's Insignia Brand leds, they have warrenty and are rebranded, but made by LG tvs, Insignia = Bestbuy Brand. I picked up a new LED Insignia 19" TV, the quality is really nice, idk if there are 46".

Euhm, you do realise all screens are made by LG or Samsung either way right? (Yes I know theres 1 or 2 more but most come from them ;p)

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nando said:
led tvs are still lcd, they just have LEDs as a backlight as opposed to CCFL. if you go with led, you have to consider sound, led tvs are a lot thinner and sound tends to be very crappy because you can't fit decent speakers in them - i'm not talking crappy from an audiophile point of view... i mean crappy as in black and white tvs had way better sound back in the day.

also consider edge lighting vs full array leds.

Wether the screen is LED or the backlight is LED, you can see the difference very good.

And the sounds its bad at all on my Samsung and Im abit of an audiophile, sure its not as good as my soundsystem but its better then normal pc speakers (unless you go for the 300 dollar ones ofcourse)

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I actually do home automation and theatre installation for a living, we install all types of TV in sizes up to 66`inch. The LED TVs are great as far as weight and looks go, and the picture is superior to LCD, but still not equal to a good plasma. A good test is to play a Blu-Ray movie that has lots of water or darkness in it and look around the edges of the screen for articats and pixel-tearing. if you wan`t good sound too you`ll need a separate sound system, the speakers in flat panel TVs are generally not great.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Again, MODERN Plasma has really improved these days. They are MORE RESISTANT to screen-burn-in than six years ago.

Stop saying Plasma suffers screen-burn-in. This is 2010, not 2004.

LED, LCD, Plasma can ALL suffer screen-burn-in, but we are talking about leaving TV on for 4 hours or more to have that effect.

dlf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
If we get Plasma, are there any that can detect motion? Because i'd rather not have someone forget to turn it off and it stay on for hours and hours.
QUOTEIf we get Plasma, are there any that can detect motion? Because i'd rather not have someone forget to turn it off and it stay on for hours and hours.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
One thing that you need to consider is LED televisions have a bit less of a half-life than LCD or Plasma.

(Half life = The amount of time it takes for a television to lose 50% of it's brightness)

naruses

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have the money go for a LED TV.

By the way, another website is selling the Sony Bravia LED TV at $1,217

From The Website:

QUOTE said:
Product Description

Screen size: 46" class LED LCD display / Full HD 1920 x 1080p resolution / Edge-lit LED backlight, Aspect ratio: 16:9, BRAVIA Internet Video / Motionflow 120Hz processing / DLNA compatible, 4 HDMI v1.4 inputs (2 rear, 2 side) / Support for Audio Return Channel, Built-in speakers: 10W x 2 speakers, Presence Sensor / Zero-watt Energy Saving switch / Backlight-Off mode / Dynamic backlight control / Eco settings / Power-saving modes, On-screen interface: Xross Media Bar graphical user interface, Ambient Sensor technology, 24p True Cinema technology / Advanced Contrast Enhancer , and much more....

If Im not mistaked Presence Sensor is the same as motion detection.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
naruses said:
If you have the money go for a LED TV.

By the way, another website is selling the Sony Bravia LED TV at $1,217

From The Website:

QUOTE said:
Product Description

Screen size: 46" class LED LCD display / Full HD 1920 x 1080p resolution / Edge-lit LED backlight, Aspect ratio: 16:9, BRAVIA Internet Video / Motionflow 120Hz processing / DLNA compatible, 4 HDMI v1.4 inputs (2 rear, 2 side) / Support for Audio Return Channel, Built-in speakers: 10W x 2 speakers, Presence Sensor / Zero-watt Energy Saving switch / Backlight-Off mode / Dynamic backlight control / Eco settings / Power-saving modes, On-screen interface: Xross Media Bar graphical user interface, Ambient Sensor technology, 24p True Cinema technology / Advanced Contrast Enhancer , and much more....

If Im not mistaked Presence Sensor is the same as motion detection.

It detects Body heat and motion. This is also a Sony (Bravia) technology that you won't find on any other TV.

jayminer

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a Panasonic Plasma TV and I'm really happy with it. It has no input lag to talk about (the reason I choose Plasma instead of LCD). I have it set to automatically turn the TV off after 4 hours if no button on the remote has been pushed, to get around any screen burn-in problem, but I've heard you need to display the same picture for about 24-48 hours to risk any burn-in.

I say get whatever floats your boat. But Plasma is definitely not as burn-in prone as they used to be, and they generally have much better response time than LCD:s. Playing old games on this TV is no problem at all, on my friends LCD I would fall into the first pit in Super Mario Bros over and over again
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Only if you send him feet