Kids react to Gameboy

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I find these videos to be really lack luster in that they fail to represent actual kid reactions as I have seen them in real life. [...] Maybe the kids they select for these videos were just raised in a box or something, I dunno.
Kids in these videos are picked for their overacting and affectation. The first series of videos might have been genuine, but half the kids from "Teens React" went on to play in movies and make music videos. Kids now are from drama clubs and they audition for a part on the show. I'm guessing typical genuine reactions aren't amusing, the makers want affectation, exaggerated disbelief and hamming it up. Some "reactions" in the video are very obviously scripted.

Reminds me of the Goonies movie, with the pirate ship scene. The actors weren't shown the set beforehand, because the filmmakers wanted to capture their genuine reaction. But then one of them reacted with "holly shit", and the scene had to be redone :lol:

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I remember when I was trying to buy my friend's brothers for like 40 bucks because I really wanted Pokemon and Tetris. Hell, I still want a gameboy just to play tetris on it.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"I feel sad for the people that played this in the past".

Excuse me??? Those kids, I fucking swear...

Gaming handheld is stupid, because u have to press the buttons and it doesn't feel the skin pressuing just like the Ipad...
OOOOhohohohoho, dat boy is dead.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kids in these videos are picked for their overacting and affectation. The first series of videos might have been genuine, but half the kids from "Teens React" went on to play in movies and make music videos. Kids now are from drama clubs and they audition for a part on the show. I'm guessing typical genuine reactions aren't amusing, the makers want affectation, exaggerated disbelief and hamming it up. Some "reactions" in the video are very obviously scripted.

Reminds me of the Goonies movie, with the pirate ship scene. The actors weren't shown the set beforehand, because the filmmakers wanted to capture their genuine reaction. But then one of them reacted with "holly shit", and the scene had to be redone :lol:

Drama Club, that explains it.

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am a stage hypnotist by trade and an important phase early on in my show is to weed out the dead-wood and cull out, make room the volunteers only those who react ( by physical movement/motion) with the greatest flair. Some reasons have to do with staging, some with the hypnosis and others with the inability of those in the rear of the theatre to see (minimal) physical action. In other words, as with pro actors ( in live theatre), the physical actions must be exaggerated in order for those in the back to clearly see and understand.... Anyway, i'm sure a similar technique is used for weeding out the unresponsive children, so only those responsive are used for the video... Yes, basically, editing...
One more thing, i'm in my 50's and my niece in her mid 30's had no idea what an NES or N64 system was... Though she had played a GameCube before.... As for me, I recall the intro of pong ugh!......

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
the guy talking to the kids lied to them, there were rechargeable batteries back then, or maybe he was to young to remember that.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the DMG Game Boy was released in 1989 and the first generation of rechargable AA batteries was developed around the year 2000. Maybe you mean rechargable battery packs? Nintendo released one that looked like this and was external:

UP7foDh.jpg

Reactions: DinohScene

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You are wrong.
[Citation Needed]? Sanyo and Enloop released their 1st Generation NiMH rechargable AA/AAA's in 2005, I'm trying to look for further sources, but I can't quite find the "first rechargable AA battery".

EDIT: Nickel-zinc ones first became "viable to manufacture" in 2000, but I've found some information on Nickel-cadmium ones which suggests that they were available at the time, so maybe he meant those. I remember having rechargables when I was a child, but those were R14's, not AA's - I can't quite recall what sizes were available around here.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
[Citation Needed]? Sanyo and Enloop released their 1st Generation NiMH rechargable AA/AAA's in 2005, I'm trying to look for further sources, but I can't quite find the "first rechargable AA battery".
NiCd batteries have existed for decades before that. I'm trying to find a citation too but I know I used rechargeable batteries in the Gameboy, in 1990.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
NiCd batteries have existed for decades before that. I'm trying to find a citation too but I know I used rechargeable batteries in the Gameboy, in 1990.
See edit above. :P I'm just trying to remember what kind of batteries were available at this point and if they were AA's. I have found info regarding NiCd and these were definitely available, although 600mA capacity didn't exactly blow anyone's mind - I'm guessing that's why Nintendo released that external monstrosity. :P

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a GBA SP (Not the original Gameboy but hell it plays them) I'm pretty sure those kids would just bash the GBA if they were presented with one. Don't shit on the GBA, it was my first handheld ever and it was the best ! Even when i had the original GBA and that i couldn't see shit on the screen because i couldn't find a light source to see the screen ! But it was still the best thing ever for roadtrips ! I spent hours and hours playing Mario Kart on that thing too.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd rather those kids be playing on a gameboy than a phone charging $100+ on their parents' credit cards over items that will only last as long as the servers will (a few years tops). I can play all my favorite games from the past on emulators, on the real thing, or both; you can't do that with mobile games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto