Junichi Masuda responds to backlash over Pokemon Sword and Shield not including every Pokemon

fgBFDru.png

When it was revealed at E3 2019 that not every Pokemon would be available in Pokemon Sword and Shield, the internet erupted in rage, with players upset by the idea that some of their favorites might not be usable in the latest Pokemon entries. A few weeks after the initial outcry, Game Freak has decided to step forward with an official statement on the matter. Pokemon series producer and director Junichi Masuda claimed that Game Freak is passionate about every Pokemon that they've created, but that the company had to make the difficult choice to not include the full lineup of over 800 monsters. Masuda also says that even if some Pokemon won't be in this series of games, they still have a chance to appear in further entries, later down the line. Perhaps that means we'll see a full Pokedex when the inevitable revision or sequel game releases one day.

For those unimpeded by the controversy, Pokemon Sword and Shield is set to launch worldwide on November 15th.

Thank you to all of our fans for caring so deeply about Pokémon. Recently, I shared the news that some Pokémon cannot be transferred to Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield. I've read all your comments and appreciate your love and passion for Pokémon.

Just like all of you, we are passionate about Pokémon and each and every one of them is very important to us. After so many years of developing the Pokémon video games, this was a very difficult decision for me. I'd like to make one thing clear: even if a specific Pokémon is not available in Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, that does not mean it will not appear in future games.

The world of Pokémon continues to evolve. The Galar region offers new Pokémon to encounter, Trainers to battle, and adventures to embark on. We are pouring our hearts into these games, and we hope you will look forward to joining us on this new journey.

Junichi Masuda

:arrow: Source

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Not surprising, the games will sell regardless, I think 10 million Let's Go sales have proven that the fans will buy any lazy Pokemon game Game Freak puts out.
To be fair, I'd say it was a lot lazier releasing so many generations with no changes to the gameplay loop whatsoever. Let's Go at least felt somewhat fresh because of the Pokemon in the overworld and the catching mechanics. Similarly, Sword/Shield should feel fresh because of the open world, raid battles, etc.

Generations 3-7 may as well have been DLC for generation 1 and 2. Of course, DLC wasn't really a thing back then, but I think you get my point.

Last edited by Xzi,

Izual Urashima

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Again, this proves how much Masuda and Game Freak care about the players.

This statement is clear - No matter the players' opinions, the game will still sell, so we don't care. And the worst thing is, it's actually true. Sword and Shield will sell, and they can afford to not care because it's Pokémon.

To modders, it's time to get to work. People actually wanting to enjoy the game with every poke need you all to work, in order to bring a full 809 version from USUM with decent balancing of every poke and complete freedom. Think Blaze Black/Volt White meets Crystal Clear.

This would blow Sword/Shield out of the water, prove to the players you actually can have every poke AND a decent game to boot, and show everyone how lazy Game Freak has been since years.

CTR640

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Haven't seen that slogan since Gen 3.
Then I'm too old or old skool, or both lol

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hey, wouldn't you guys rather them put more money into graphics/mechanics instead of the whole budget going into having all the Pokemon looking just "okay".
No, I want a fully ray traced Pikachu following me everywhere I go.

However, Pokemon in DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3 would be damn dope, so real-time fighting and not the old gen way.

Bedel

The key of the blade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IN NUTSHELL, ''we are too lazy to recreate all 3d models in HD, if you guys want the game in 2019...''
The models already are in HD. It's been told in this forum over and over. This is just so in the new game they can come with new games and all the pokemons like they were saivours and sell more.

Reactions: Lightyose
D

Deleted User

to be honest its not that hard to just to make put the models in hd, its time consuming yes, but cant they just delay the game? some of the pokemon sun/moon ones look all right when you upscale and waifu2x the textures

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The models already are in HD. It's been told in this forum over and over. This is just so in the new game they can come with new games and all the pokemons like they were saivours and sell more.
then this is even worse: Nintendo is slowly become EA!!!! :O

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast