Doomsday Forte

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
All right, well I've been the owner of said iPod for a good couple of years now, and while I've enjoyed it for the most part, there has been one aspect that's always annoyed me to no end. Once files are put on the iPod, they are (without outside help or lots of patience) damn-near impossible to take off of the drive. Roach motel, I referenced this in another post on here some time ago. Songs check in--they don't check out.

So, I received a 128MB MP3 player from a friend a long while ago, and while it's greatly dwarfed by my 30GB iPod Video, it does not have the roach motel aspect the iPod does. You drag the files into the root of the drive, and it plays both in the computer and on its own. And you can drag them out afterwards, no problem. What I have to do for taking out files of Mr. iPod is...

First, open Winamp. Now, I go to "add folders" and select the entire Ipod_Control hidden folder. I wait a few minutes, and then it gives me a very badly sorted list of songs. I use Jump to File to find the song I want, then I open the tag editor/edit info page, copy the file address in my drive, and either paste it into a zip file (add files to archive) or open up my iPod drive in Windows and then hunt down the song in question. And that's sometimes a daunting task given how every file is given four random letters, and then stuffed into a hidden file with F and two numbers afterwards.

Okay, so point of topic is this, a question: Simply, what can I do with my iPod to get it to do what I want? Namely, so that I can stuff individual files (or even files in folders) into the root of the drive so that I can not only listen to them at my computer, but also while I'm on the go without my laptop. Basically, the drag-and-drop play like the tiny MP3 player I got from my friend. I realize this is generally impossible given the structure of the system itself just not allowing this without hacking or the like. It'd be amazing if so, but at the very least, I still want what I bought to do what I expect it to, just to suck less at it. I wish pushing my two MP3 players together to get them to combine actually worked. I paid good money for this thing, and unfortunately what can be seen as a minor problem is just...irritating. It makes no sense to me, why is it like this?

What I don't want to do is destroy, sell, or otherwise maim my iPod. Like I said, I paid good money for it, and I'd like to keep it..though, at the very least, I'd be willing to consider a trade though it's severely outdated and probably isn't worth more than a few bucks as it is. Of course, the trade would have to be for a drag-and-drop media player of comparable size. =P All I want out of this is just to get my iPod to somehow play files on its own and on my computer without having to use the bass-ackwards method of adding files through iTunes (and Winamp does it about the same way).

Or, if no one is able to come up with a feasible solution, are there any media players on the market near or exceeding 30GB that feature drag-and-drop functionality? The whole reason I got this thing in the first place was because it had the best gigabyte-per-dollar ratio that I could find. I suppose if I can't do a damn thing with this, I can attempt to sell it and buy a new player of whatever good type. $250 a few years ago is still quite a bit to me, unfortunately. Seeing players offering now almost 3x that capacity doesn't sit well with me either. Sigh.

And, thanks.

phantomatt

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.last.fm
XP
Country
Canada
you could always you rockbox on your ipod.
though its not nearly as fast as the regular interface, it sounds like it fits ur needs

you could also..use the 'sync only checked songs and videos' box on the main ipod options thing. that does delete stuff too, when u uncheck songs in your library.

Doomsday Forte

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
phantomatt said:
you could always you rockbox on your ipod.
though its not nearly as fast as the regular interface, it sounds like it fits ur needs

you could also..use the 'sync only checked songs and videos' box on the main ipod options thing. that does delete stuff too, when u uncheck songs in your library.
I'll check RockBox in the morning in more detail, but I really am liking what I see. I mean, in the FAQ I just did a search for "drag" and it went right to it.
biggrin.gif

I never used the auto-sync feature because it'd delete files off of my computer when I'd get rid of them off the iPod and vice versa. I have all of my music on my iPod for a reason I didn't list above: Well...uh, I guess just to store all of my music instead of having it on my computer. I mean, I can play it with and without the computer with the iPod, so why bother storing the music here, right? =P

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yea. Ipods aren't that great, but Rockbox is.

Make sure to get a theme with it, because the default skin is UGLY. There are a few good skins, so getting that will make an ipod pretty good.

skagamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had no idea this firmware existed. This will totally revive an old iriver H10 player that I have sitting around. Awesome!!

Doomsday Forte

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, I've decided to Rockbox my iPod. I'm looking for more of functionality than prettyness, since I'm sure the iPod itself can cover the beauty aspect well enough. =P

I'm going to begin the operation in about half an hour, as I'm backing up all of my music just in case. Better to exercise caution when screwing with the internals, huh?

I'll report back once I've gotten it to work or have fried the drive.
biggrin.gif

blueskies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use both rockbox and the original firmware. I think you set the hold button when it's booting up to go to rockbox and leave it unset for original (may have changed by now).
Rockbox has TONS of features, and is great for tweaking the system to work and play music how you want, but it's not as fast, and definitely needs more polish to compare to the apple firmware, imo. You can organize the music how you like though, with named folders and such, so it sounds like it'll work for you.
Oh, and it comes with doom. SWEET!

phantomatt

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.last.fm
XP
Country
Canada
Doomsday Forte said:
Well, I've decided to Rockbox my iPod. I'm looking for more of functionality than prettyness, since I'm sure the iPod itself can cover the beauty aspect well enough. =P

I'm going to begin the operation in about half an hour, as I'm backing up all of my music just in case. Better to exercise caution when screwing with the internals, huh?

I'll report back once I've gotten it to work or have fried the drive.
biggrin.gif

glad i've helped. i've since reverted back to a hacked interface (that runs as smoothly as the original OS but looks way better. called the ipod touch to ipod video hack) from rockbox, since i wasnt satisfied with the OS's performance, it does lag quite a bit when changing songs. i find it's best if u pause the songs first before switching songs (something that i've found quite useful even with the faster hacked interface)

there are lots of skins for rockbox. i do believe theyre on the site linked above. if not, it's easily google'd

here's the touch hack for anyone who's interested
http://www.drivendesign.us/touch.html

Doomsday Forte

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, so far, so good. Installing had a few hiccups, but you really don't need to do much more than the basic install. I did the complete and it kept breaking on the Themes part, but I handled that easily. From the list I ended up picking the brushed metal and the iPodWidgets themes, using the first now because it's so basic and gives quite a bit of info.

It takes some getting used to though, but this is also after about two years of being used to the direct iPod interface, so this is natural. But for the best part, the functionality that I wanted out of this thing altogether?

It works. I put in a folder with two subfolders to separate music, and it read from them.
biggrin.gif
I'm very happy right now. Currently playing around with settings to see what does what at the moment, whoo!

Edit: Heh, I nearly broke it. So, don't ever run the "root" file if you find it. XD Ahem. But a quick plug-in and remove was all that fixed it, yay. Also, it is a little slow on pausing, which I suppose is fine. It does the next track infinitely faster than my iPod used to.

I haven't tried to go back to the old OS using the dualboot feature, but I probably never will. I mean, it works well enough right now, why bother?

Now, the hardest part before me is getting all of the tracks out of ipod_control. The damage has been done to the tracks I've added, but at the very least the newest tracks I add will be nicely sorted and properly named. I'm gonna need something to mass-rename these files, I swear. But yeah. phantomatt, thanks so much for telling me about this! Really. A better decision than selling this and getting another media player to get used to.

H8TR

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
For drag and drop functionality, there is Anapod Explorer. It extends drag and drop to iPods. (Excluding Classic, nano 3rd gen, touch, iPhone and iPhone 3G)

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
you say you can't access your music on your computer with a ipod but that is not the case as your music is stored on a external hard drive anyway and you can access it and listen to it too, thats what i do anyway.

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not only does Rockbox use a standard filesystem to select songs, but it also has a millions themes to customize the look of your iPod's screen.

Doomsday Forte

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jalaneme said:
you say you can't access your music on your computer with a ipod but that is not the case as your music is stored on a external hard drive anyway and you can access it and listen to it too, thats what i do anyway.
True, but if I want to send someone a specific song, that's where the problem comes into play. And then the next question I'm asked is, "Why is this thing called FBWQ?" While there were other methods of what I wanted (as stated later in this topic), I went with Rockbox since it was the first thing mentioned and it was that appealing to me at the start. The way I have it set up now, I even prefer it over the regular iPod interface.

Doomsday Forte

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There's that, and it can be uninstalled. It doesn't overwrite the firmware (that I know of), as it's a dualbooting system. If you don't like it, get rid of it and your iPod's back to its roach motel self.
biggrin.gif

Man, I wish I did this like a few years ago now. Could've saved me some time and headaches. But ah well, better for it to come now so I can reappreciate my investment all over again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Oh God no :ohnoes:
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pineapple is the safe word?
    But you said pine apple...
    Ughh gonna be bored today, class for new job has a lot of networking material and I'm certified in that already...
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Peen apple.
    +1
    "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol
    Employee code of conduct videos are awesome!!! Did you know eating the other employees is bad? I didn't know... Lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Anymore males there? :blush:
    All of us lol
    I got free every channel so that's awesome lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Give me ALL the gay pron channels, since you won't be watching them :blush::D
    +1
    Lol they exist?
    +1
    Hmmm so Mario Does Luigi's plumbing is a bad movie? Lol
    These videos are soooo dry
    Please click all suspicious links sent your email
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What to do today? Cut grass for 3-4 hours, or just get drunk and play video games... Hmm
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I need a remote controlled mower, so I can sit on the couch and do both.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sounds good to me, video games and booze it is then.
    +1
  • denpafan @ denpafan:
    Good choice
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now what to play, Starfield or Fallout4. And what to drink, beer or Whiskey and Coke. Such tough decisions.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Looks like its whiskey & coke, only 4 beers left. And think ill start with Falllout. :grog:
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Looks like its whiskey & coke, only 4 beers left. And think ill start with Falllout. :grog: