Issues moving a DLC from sysNAND to emuNAND

djuniah

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, i have an unbanned sysnand, and an emunand set up both on the latest FW. On sysnand I purchased the latest DLC for Binding of Isaac from the eshop (I own the cart version if it matters) and I was trying to copy that purchase over to my emuNAND. I loaded up nxdumptool and made an NSP of the DLC file. Over on my emuNAND I installed that NSP and now when I start the game, I get a "downloadable content cannot be played" message. I tried using both tinfoil and goldleaf to do the install, but got the same result with both. I tried using the convert to standard crypto option in tinfoil, that didn't work. I tried copying the ticket from sysnand to emunand, that also did not work. I also made sure that i've got the latest sigpatches. Does anyone else have any other ideas that I haven't tried yet? Not sure what i'm doing wrong here.

EDIT:
Other things to note:
- On latest Hekate/Atmos

Last edited by djuniah,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, i have an unbanned sysnand, and an emunand set up both on the latest FW. On sysnand I purchased the latest DLC for Binding of Isaac from the eshop (I own the cart version if it matters) and I was trying to copy that purchase over to my emuNAND. I loaded up nxdumptool and made an NSP of the DLC file. Over on my emuNAND I installed that NSP and now when I start the game, I get a "downloadable content cannot be played" message. I tried using both tinfoil and goldleaf to do the install, but got the same result with both. I tried using the convert to standard crypto option in tinfoil, that didn't work. I tried copying the ticket from sysnand to emunand, that also did not work. I also made sure that i've got the latest sigpatches. Does anyone else have any other ideas that I haven't tried yet? Not sure what i'm doing wrong here.

EDIT:
Other things to note:
- On latest Hekate/Atmos

”DLC cannot be played“ because it’s not really a full game. You will still get an Icon on your Home menu but it’s still just Content with no,game. You have to install the Base game as well. Now would be a good time to try dumping that cart and installing the resulting .xci to your Emunand.

Reactions: Blauhasenpopo

djuniah

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah interesting. So I had tried to launch the old icon for the cart from the home screen, i wasn't launching the DLC directly (or at least I didn't THINK was). Is there any way to install the DLC from an NSP and use it with a cart?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah interesting. So I had tried to launch the old icon for the cart from the home screen, i wasn't launching the DLC directly (or at least I didn't THINK was). Is there any way to install the DLC from an NSP and use it with a cart?

I’m not sure…haven’t had that use case come up yet. Might could arrange one…would be a fun experiment I guess. :-)

Assuming you could get the base from the same place you got the DLC or you could dump the cart and install the resulting .xci file…is there any reason to use cart at all (other than a source to dump carts from)?

djuniah

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only reason would be to keep using it on sysnand, but that really doesn't matter anymore. Honestly, that's the only game i purchased a physical copy of and it's just lived in my switch since i got it.

EDIT: To be clear, I purchased the DLC on the eshop on my sysnand, then turned on airplane mode, booted sysnand with atmosphere and dumped the DLC to an NSP.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only reason would be to keep using it on sysnand, but that really doesn't matter anymore. Honestly, that's the only game i purchased a physical copy of and it's just lived in my switch since i got it.

EDIT: To be clear, I purchased the DLC on the eshop on my sysnand, then turned on airplane mode, booted sysnand with atmosphere and dumped the DLC to an NSP.

So you have Sysnand with a legit cart and a legit dlc installed on Sysnand. This is still playable as is (at least there is no reason it should not be) by clicking on the cart which finds the dlc and you’re good to go.

You dumped the Sysnand DLC to an nsp and transferred and installed DLC.nsp on your emunand. Your emunand may have autonogc turned on which disables the game cartridge slot. This would mean that in emunand mode you are missing the base game.

I see two possible options:

1) enable turn off autonogc to allow the game card to be played on emunand (and it should pick up the DLC without issue)
2) dump the cartridge while on Sysnand using NXDumptool and install the resulting game.xci while booted up in emunand.

I’d prefer the latter in which case you can store your cartridge and play the full game in emunand at any time.

djuniah

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right, so your summary of the situation is correct, but the game cart slot definitely works in emunand. I have run the game off of the cart prior to installing the DLC, and if I uninstall the DLC.nsp it works again. It's only after installing that nsp that I get the error. I would prefer not to install via XCI if possible as i'm planning on just leaving this cart in the system all time time, so it would just take up extra storage unnecessarily (and would also make it inaccessible from sysnand). Thanks again for taking the time to write that up and make suggestions, i really appreciate it! I had tried to install the game cart before as a test but it didn't help/change the situation. That was via tinfoil though, i'll do a proper dump to xci with nxdumptool and see if that makes a difference.

Reactions: binkinator

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right, so your summary of the situation is correct, but the game cart slot definitely works in emunand. I have run the game off of the cart prior to installing the DLC, and if I uninstall the DLC.nsp it works again. It's only after installing that nsp that I get the error. I would prefer not to install via XCI if possible as i'm planning on just leaving this cart in the system all time time, so it would just take up extra storage unnecessarily (and would also make it inaccessible from sysnand). Thanks again for taking the time to write that up and make suggestions, i really appreciate it! I had tried to install the game cart before as a test but it didn't help/change the situation. That was via tinfoil though, i'll do a proper dump to xci with nxdumptool and see if that makes a difference.

will be interesting to see how much sd card space it even takes up. This was the largest I could find, but most average is 8G…

https://www.thegamer.com/nintendo-switch-games-biggest-file-size-gb/

South Park: The Fractured But Whole 17.3G​

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm pretty sure DLC requires a ticket to function, so I would expect standard crypto to fail. Can't remember exactly where I read that though.

If your emummc doesn't have your Nintendo account registered to it, and you were dumping a personalized ticket nsp instead of removing console-specific data, it's possible that it wouldn't work due to the account not being there. In my experience I wasn't able to get my personalized dumps to work without also linking my account, but I don't know if it has to be the same account that made the purchase, or if it can be *any* account.

If your nsps have personalized ticket then Goldleaf will fail to properly install it, as well. Bug with Goldleaf, it can't handle personalized ticket nsp properly.

The easiest option imo would be to just create emummc from sysmmc so that the account + purchased content carries over exactly like it should, but if you'd have a lot to lose by doing this and would prefer to just dump + reinstall, I'd make sure you remove console-specific data from your dumps before reinstalling them onto emummc.

You don't need to install the game, cartridge or base game digital are identical as far as the console is concerned. It's the same title ID and updates/dlc apply to both equally.

Reactions: binkinator

djuniah

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah so if i remember correctly nxdump had an option to remove console specific data when I created the DLC NSP. I don't think I enabled that. If i re-do the dump with that enabled, it should help? I did also try dumping the ticket for that DLC and manually installing it on my emunand (I do have my account on it as that was copied over when I created it initially). That didn't work though.

EDIT: As an aside, I just completed the joycon eject button RCM mod. SOOOO much nicer then swapping the jig in every time i want to boot into it.

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I would try it like that at least. At a glance I can see that the system (probably?) stores the e-license for purchased content separately from the ticket, and the ticket alone may not be enough for things to work.

Reactions: djuniah

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: I thought it was duck season, not... king kong season....